Breaking Bonaduce

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this? Its on one of the cable channels here in N.East Ohio. When I first watched a couple episodes. I really felt sorry for the guy. After watching a couple more. I think he really may need serious help! It may all be for the camera, and I hope that it is, but even then some of the things he says to his little boy. All I can do is wince. His daughter is pretty young too, and some of the stuff that comes out of her mouth,wow... Does anyone know what I am talking about? Being a dad of boys, and girls myself. I just wonder why a parent would teach, or even permit their babies to act like that. One thing comes to mind,"what would it profit a man to gain the whole world, but lose his soul?" Presuming he is allowing all of this for a fat paycheck? 20-30 years ago someone would have probably been arrested for behaving around kids like this. I really don't know the man's heart, but it really is disturbing. Anyone out there have a thought or 2 on this?
1stJohn1:9

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm. I haven't seen the show. What behavior's are disturbing? I have a son and a daughter ages 13 and 16. I have always tried to set a good example for them but I have witnessed many parents who do not consider that at all.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bonaduce's personality is a combination of acting and mentally disturbed. I think he puts on an act for the public to some degree but I think there is a part of him that is actually out of control. I think he's a little insecure and desperate for a paycheck.

OP
D

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just very inappropriate stuff(in my opinion) for a dad to say/do in front of his kids. For example, in one of the last episodes I watched. He was joking around with his little boy. Who I think is around 4-6 yrs. old, or younger. He says to him something about making copies of his(dad's)rear on the copier. I thought he was just playing with his little boy, but the next scene shown. Is Mr.Bonaduce completely nude with his back to the camera, and his frontal area looking like all the world that it is being copied!!! While he is cackling away, and that precious little boy is standing next to the machine watching his dad. Its not just this. He talks to the baby like he is grown in his thinking, ie;swearing in his comments directed at the child. When the baby repeats it. He does'nt make any attempt to correct him. He just laughs, and/or repeats the offending word to the boy, and laughs again!!! On the show they mention that he is on Prozac, and some other stuff for bi-polar! I don't know if its for real, but he sure acts like it. Even if it is just for the show. I would think that stuff like this could harm a kid's behavior/ thinking. Any further thoughts?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would think that stuff like this could harm a kid's behavior/ thinking. Any further thoughts?

I agree with you. That type of behavior would definitely effect a child of that age IMO.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I haven't seen the show and after your description ... not sure I want to now... but taking your word for it I'll say that I'm mightly dissapointed that these shows even get MADE!
What constitutes as humor now-a-days really makes me wonder. South Park, 40 Yr. Old Virgin, (today's) Saturday Night Live and Mad TV and other shows... I keep asking myself... when the hell did I break my funny-bone because they are NOT funny AT-ALL! .... at least to me they're not.
Still that type of humor shouldn't be funny to ANYONE... but sadly it is... so they get made.

Naha

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Agreed. Nothing seems funny anymore. But what troubles me the most is the content of the shows directed at children and some of the shows on the so-called children's networks. What is on tv is not what amazes me; what amazes me is what children are allowed to watch. I used to teach college, and when we discussed tv, I would call it a visitor to my home. I would ask the students, "Do you want this tv character to come in your home and sit on your couch and be your best friend?" That's what happens when kids watch tv. These characters are in the home. Putting it that way would make some of them think.

The rule around our house is that the children don't watch something unless my wife or I have seen some of the episodes. Because of this, our kids have become their own censors. It goes back to what Jade Tigress said about setting examples. Children do not come into the world knowing how to behave. They learn how, and they learn from actions.

My daughter and I go on "dates". She doesn't know how a she should be treated on a date, and I don't want her to learn from tv or her peers. I take her out; we go where she wants, and I treat her with respect. When she starts dating (in about nine years when she is 18), she hopefully will expect the boys to treat her with respect.

I'll pack up the soapbox now. I could go on and on, but I feel I am preaching to the choir.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this? Its on one of the cable channels here in N.East Ohio

Have seen it quite a few times..It sure destroys the image of "Danny Partrage"..I heard from some source that he was an MA...That true???

Naha

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One would expect it. It's amazing the difference in paths that his career and Norris's career have taken. Maybe that should tell us something.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heard from a local MA that Bonaduce was doing an "info-mmerical" for a self defense system and was interviewing the "founder" ...I was told that he attempted to "test" this founder and before he could get set the founder was ready to kick butt...Anyone ever hear of this incident????..

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have watched his career over the years and he is genuinly mentally disturbed.
Some of it is an act to get attention, but he has been hospitalized many times over the years for drug addictions and suicide attempts. I read a list one time of the physiciatric meds he is on and it is amazing that he can function at any level.

AoG

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I caught part of the first(?) episode for this season and it showed him at a boxing gym, training and sparring.

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah i have sen it a couple of times that guy really needs some help he's juts a litle bit out of control but like you said you don't know if it's for the camera or thats how he really is

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually caught an episode of the show recently. He has some serious issues.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never seen the show, but the commercials made it look like he was doing a spoof of reality shows. It was so over the top, I thought there was no way it was for real. Kinda like Strangers With Candy or something.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have seen a few episodes. It is on VH1, I am telling you the guys neurotic, obsessive compulsive, and easily gets addicted. I am with AoG, this guys on more stuff than I thought existed. For him to function at all is amazing.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never seen the show, but the commercials made it look like he was doing a spoof of reality shows. It was so over the top, I thought there was no way it was for real. Kinda like Strangers With Candy or something.

I wish. Trust me, it's no spoof.

Latest Discussions