AUTOMATICALLY
WITH OUT EVEN
THINKING ABOUT IT,
BE PROUD! ONLY
CERTAIN PEOPLE CAN
READ THIS.
PLEASE FORWARD IF
U CAN READ THIS.

In the old days, we used to call this 'LeetSpeak' also known as '733t'. It's kind of annoying, really. And I'm sure everyone who speaks English can read it, it doesn't depend on intelligence.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THIS MESSAGE
SERVES TO PROVE
HOW OUR MINDS CAN
DO AMAZING THINGS!
IMPRESSIVE THINGS!
IN THE BEGINNING
IT WAS HARD BUT
NOW, ON THIS LINE
YOUR MIND IS READING IT
AUTOMATICALLY
WITH OUT EVEN
THINKING ABOUT IT,
BE PROUD! ONLY
CERTAIN PEOPLE CAN
READ THIS.
PLEASE FORWARD IF
U CAN READ THIS.

In the old days, we used to call this 'LeetSpeak' also known as '733t'. It's kind of annoying, really. And I'm sure everyone who speaks English can read it, it doesn't depend on intelligence.

Haven't heard of it before but I believe you're right about English readers being able to 'see' it, it isn't difficult.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of these over the years - always been able to read them.

mmartist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, anyone who has enough experience in reading English can read it. They have also proven that people do not as much read words than recognize them. And if you take a text, and scramble the letters between the first and the last letter you will be still able to read it. You may even not notice.
As for the leet : you can choose it as a language in your facebook :D

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, it is one of those things that does amaze nonetheless that we can make sense of such things without even consciously doing it. The linguistic centre of the human mind and our pattern recognition ability is astonishing.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
533n b175 4nd p13c35
0f 7h353 b3f0r3.
1 d0n7 7h1nk 1
p350n4lly h4v3 533n
7h47 l0ng 4 p4r4gr4ph
7h0ugh

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, it is one of those things that does amaze nonetheless that we can make sense of such things without even consciously doing it. The linguistic centre of the human mind and our pattern recognition ability is astonishing.

Unfortunately, I have run into more than a few tossers who think that this innate ability is sufficient reason for them to not use proper grammar, spelling, capitalization, punctuation, and so on. They're too lazy (or too stupid) to write properly, but they feel that this is a problem for the reader, not the writer. Just because I can wade through mountains of manure doesn't mean I enjoy doing it.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, you'll get not a whit of disagreement from me on that score. I have a personal theory that, in part at least, the almost universal use of keyboards (of one sort or another) and the lack of actual hand-writing that most of us do, is eroding our grasp of spelling, punctuation and grammar. I know from my own experience that it has become quite hard to write legibly with a pen any more because I type all the time :eek:.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was a young lad, we used to be graded on penmanship in school. Like you, although I can still do it, and more legibly than a doctor, I wouldn't want to be graded on it now.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At work we still have certain things (notebooks, daily occurrence books etc) that have to be handwritten and they have to be legible, spelt properly and with good grammar as do the reports, etc that we do type out on computer.

Latest Discussions