An Oxford Brain Study Demonstrates the Effect of Martial Arts training on the Brain

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is a fascinating article published in the Oxford Journal of Neuroscience about how the amazing feats performed by martial artists are not simply feats of physical strength. In this article, the physical differences between karate experts and the average person are controlled, and the brains of the two groups are studied. The study demonstrates that martial arts practice builds the brain's white matter, and that this is the determining factor in the increased physical ability. What this article demonstrates scientifically is that when physical ability is equal, technique is king. This article also demonstrates the significant impact that martial arts training has on the brain. Very interesting! What are your thoughts?

http://cercor.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2012/08/08/cercor.bhs219.full

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not surprised. I think the old masters knew that, perhaps not in the same way, but the same outcome. Kata is what it is and practiced again and again so that under stress you just react to the threat! that is why kata is such a good tool for training.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting article ...at least the less technical bits which I'm capable of understanding.

Repeating a task thousands upon thousands of times over many years, like a particular punch with constant tactile feedback, such as provided by a makiwara or wall bag is bound to develop neural pathways enabling a superior level of micro-coordination and synchronization of all the kinetic linkages involved. That in turn should produce greater consistency in performing tasks such as punching and so on. Isn't that why we train the way we do?

Way back in the 80s , I remember reading about a study testing the power and consistency of punches delivered by high level masters with decades of experience as compared to newly promoted blackbelts. The junior ranked black belts were not novices and clearly understood the mechanics of punching. In fact they could often deliver very powerful punches roughly equal in strength to those of the older masters. But not consistently. The masters hit with the same power consistently time after time. To me this clearly indicates a refined level of coordination and timing that would have to equate to organic developments in the brain rather than being a matter of muscular development. But that's just my supposition. I'm glad to see that serious scientists have taken the time to construct experiments to test this hypothesis.

Latest Discussions