Boy barred from playing on girl's field hockey team

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how you play 'field' hockey but it doesn't sound the same as it's played elsewhere. It's faster than soccer and can be quite a physical game. It's played in most of Europe and Asia. Germany are the current men's Olympic champions.

A tad condescending there suggesting I don't know the difference because ice hockey and hockey wasn't it? In the rest of the world ...as I said...the game played on ice is 'ice hockey' the other game which I've played since primary school is 'hockey', just hockey no field or anything else..hockey. It's a big game in the rest of the world.
http://www.london2012.com/hockey

AnnunakiKungFu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, I have sat here and thought about what I think about this and I can't come to a conclusion about it. Half of me thinks why stop him? I was in color guard and performance winter guard in high school and I was the only male so I can sort of relate but on the other hand I didn't compete in the way he is. The other half of me thinks perhaps he does have some sort of advantage over them. I really don't know.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I have sat here and thought about what I think about this and I can't come to a conclusion about it. Half of me thinks why stop him? I was in color guard and performance winter guard in high school and I was the only male so I can sort of relate but on the other hand I didn't compete in the way he is. The other half of me thinks perhaps he does have some sort of advantage over them. I really don't know.

You're going to have to explain that to us 'foreigners' I'm afraid!

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, sports should be the place where the sexes can compete because at least there are rules and it doesn't generally involve the intentional death of the participants. If people are going to say girls can play in boys sports then the same has to apply the other way around. Once you open that door, all sports should have open try outs for both genders and the most qualified players should get on the team, through high school and even college. Positions on teams should be based on merit, not gender, if you open that door that is...

AnnunakiKungFu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You're going to have to explain that to us 'foreigners' I'm afraid!

Lol well at football games during the half time show when the band comes out, girls with flags come out also and dance. I was one of them. Winter guard is the same thing only it's strictly competition, no band no football. Just a big open place with us performing routines in competition with other winter guards.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont think the boys should be playing with the girls after a certain age High School age I guess it a good age to start. The physical difference is to great. It would be like in Martial Arts Ill spar a female in class because it a controlled enviroment but Id never fight one in real life.

Im just gonna shamelessly make a terrible joke.

...SEXIST!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dont think the boys should be playing with the girls after a certain age High School age I guess it a good age to start. The physical difference is to great.
That there are boys teams and girls teams is not discriminatory! Should high school boys be allowed to share the locker room showers with high school girls? Of course not.
It would be like in Martial Arts Ill spar a female in class because it a controlled enviroment but Id never fight one in real life.
I used to think that way. Now, if someone poses an acute physical threat to me, I would fight them, man, woman, doesn't enter into it. Eliminate the threat.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know if I can answer objectively. I bloody hated that sport.

I've never been good at sports or athletics...my legs were too messed up as a kid. I did learn to skate (as did everyone else who grew up on the Canadian border...LOL) and played a bunch of pickup hockey games on a frozen creek with whoever was around...boys, girls, older, younger...it was hockey, that was all that mattered. Field hockey in school was a disappointing consolation prize.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hockey as played by English schoolgirls, this isn't far from the truth, I know, I WAS that schoolgirl lol!

Last edited by a moderator:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hockey as played by English schoolgirls, this isn't far from the truth, I know, I WAS that schoolgirl lol!

I think I would have fit in better in England ;) Growing up it was a game played in a skirt uniform (!!) with prep-school-wanna-be girls. So NOT me! :lol2:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
punisher73

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just reading the comments on this, it seems that "equality" is something that is preached but not believed in. Girls can play on boys teams, because they aren't good enough to compete and change the outcome of the game. Boys can't play on girls teams because they would be too good and change the outcome.

Why do we have to be SOOOO PC to not be able to say as a society that men and women are different. Not better or worse, but different. I don't think that one sex should be allowed to do something and then prohibit the other one from doing the same. It is hypocrisy to keep preaching "equality" but then make rulings that are anything but equal.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just reading the comments on this, it seems that "equality" is something that is preached but not believed in. Girls can play on boys teams, because they aren't good enough to compete and change the outcome of the game. Boys can't play on girls teams because they would be too good and change the outcome.

Why do we have to be SOOOO PC to not be able to say as a society that men and women are different. Not better or worse, but different. I don't think that one sex should be allowed to do something and then prohibit the other one from doing the same. It is hypocrisy to keep preaching "equality" but then make rulings that are anything but equal.

And this is what Title 9 is supposed to address. Equal funding for girls and boys teams so the girls sports can develop along with the boys. We are different from men, our bodies are different, the musculature is different, we have something like 5% of the testosterone you gents have -- an important hormone in dulling pain. There's nothing wrong with the differences in my eyes

Personally, I believe in rewarding excellence, and there is a precedence in sports for rewarding excellence. The NHL, for example, doesn't wait to draft its players. If an 18 year old has got what it takes to play at that level, an 18 year old can get drafted.

IF there is a standout female performer -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabiola_da_Silva comes to mind -- who can compete with the boys, then I think an exception should be made when possible for the athlete to continue challenging herself, but these situations are IMO quite rare. I can't get behind the reverse scenario....a boy dropping to the girls team in order to dominate the game is unsportsmanlike.

It strikes me that the top female athletes out there would rather see a focus on more women getting involved and making girls/womens sports as good as they can be, rather than focusing playing with men.

But I still bloody hate field hockey.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And this is what Title 9 is supposed to address. Equal funding for girls and boys teams so the girls sports can develop along with the boys. We are different from men, our bodies are different, the musculature is different, we have something like 5% of the testosterone you gents have -- an important hormone in dulling pain. There's nothing wrong with the differences in my eyes

Personally, I believe in rewarding excellence, and there is a precedence in sports for rewarding excellence. The NHL, for example, doesn't wait to draft its players. If an 18 year old has got what it takes to play at that level, an 18 year old can get drafted.

IF there is a standout female performer -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabiola_da_Silva comes to mind -- who can compete with the boys, then I think an exception should be made when possible for the athlete to continue challenging herself, but these situations are IMO quite rare. I can't get behind the reverse scenario....a boy dropping to the girls team in order to dominate the game is unsportsmanlike.

It strikes me that the top female athletes out there would rather see a focus on more women getting involved and making girls/womens sports as good as they can be, rather than focusing playing with men.

But I still bloody hate field hockey.

On the other hand, there is no boy's team. So the kid is out of luck in his quest for excellence.

Important life lesson to be learned: Don't do your best or you are sidelined....

Not to mention the US has some weird notions as to what is a girl or boy sport.....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, there is no boy's team. So the kid is out of luck in his quest for excellence.

Important life lesson to be learned: Don't do your best or you are sidelined....

Not to mention the US has some weird notions as to what is a girl or boy sport.....

Must admit I can't understand why hockey is thought to be a women's game. What other games are played in schools/college that are considered as belonging to one gender or another?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Must admit I can't understand why hockey is thought to be a women's game. What other games are played in schools/college that are considered as belonging to one gender or another?

Well, 'soccer' is also considered a girly sport here. So there, for what it's worth, and I don't get it either.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
My Opinion:
You dont need Mixed Gender Sports. It achieves nothing unless the Sport is geared towards it in the first place.
And I find them a bit droll to watch.
Just have Male Teams, and Female Teams, and consider all the Sports themselves to be unisexual.
Because I doubt You can find any Sport in the World thats Gender Exclusive.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Opinion:
You dont need Mixed Gender Sports. It achieves nothing unless the Sport is geared towards it in the first place.
And I find them a bit droll to watch.
Just have Male Teams, and Female Teams, and consider all the Sports themselves to be unisexual.
Because I doubt You can find any Sport in the World thats Gender Exclusive.

Gran has already given you a sport that is done by both genders on an equal footing, the equestion sports. Men and women compete against each other without either gender having either advantages or disadvantages.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/17877469

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gran has already given you a sport that is done by both genders on an equal footing, the equestion sports. Men and women compete against each other without either gender having either advantages or disadvantages.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/17877469

Im afraid I dont see the relevance - However, there is a chance You misread what I said. So Ill reiterate:
Because I doubt You can find any Sport in the World that is conducted by one one Gender, and not the other.

You know, as regards to everything I said above that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im afraid I dont see the relevance - However, there is a chance You misread what I said. So Ill reiterate:
Because I doubt You can find any Sport in the World that is conducted by one one Gender, and not the other.

You know, as regards to everything I said above that.

Rude this morning aren't we?

if you want sports that are run by men and don't allow women to participate or even watch in many cases just look at Saudi Arabia, Yemen etc etc.

Latest Discussions