Parental Expectations On Children's Achievements-- Can It Go Too Far?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a sad story but at least the father got busted because he couldn't wait til he got home behind closed doors.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/...-son-at-youth-basketbal?urn=highschool-wp9968
http://www.kare11.com/news/article/951234/391/Dad-arrested-for-punching-son-at-basketball-game

The focus should be that this probably happens more often than it's reported. To both boys and girl athletes, I'd imagine. A child that wants to be in a competitive sport (football, basketball, baseball, et al) should be in it for the FUN, not for potential scholarships or to shed a good light on their parents.

I'll live through you
I'll make you what I never was
If you're the best, then maybe so am I
Compared to him, compared to her
I'm doing this for your own damn good
You'll make up for what I blew
What's the problem...why are you crying?
~Alanis Morissette

For me, school sports should be for those who are interested in the game, want to play, want to have fun, want to stretch/discover their hidden talents. If it leads to college scholarships (and eventually pro-ball) then great, but it doesn't necessarily have to. A child's grades should get them the scholarships not their athletic abilities.
Yet, this story shows that apparently it's coming out, that (some--not ALL) parents are pressuring their children to excel in their chosen (?) sport for the parent's own personal reason(s) and not the child's. The pressure to do well, it seems includes beatings.
This isn't an isolated incident, this guy got caught because he couldn't reign in his temper long enough to "punish" his son in private. Got so wrapped up in the winning aspect of the game that when they lost he lost it. Hopefully, this animal will get his. Should be grateful that other parents spoke up and called the police. Some would just look the other way.
To me, a parent's job as far as the "student athlete" is concerned, is to encourage to do well, praise during victories and achievements (even if at a loss), support during losses and provide whatever the child needs to play the game (equipment, transportation, etc.), within reason of course. Some, do go overboard sometimes.
Beating your child because their team lost a game, tournament, championship is totally uncalled for and the parent should definitely be punished.

My older brother was the "jock" in our family. If there was a foot/basket/base ball involved he was all over it and did very well at all three. My father was proud of him but as far as I know/seen, never pushed him to do better, score more points and try for a scholarship. It's what my brother wanted to do and well, he did until other interests pulled him away.
Folks in my community, growing up, would've been horrified at this display of violence towards a child -- especially for that reason.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
"I'll support you and help you all I can, but never overtly push you" Quote from Dad :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ahh...but it isn't just a game, and it isn't just for fun.

This is a huge, multi-billion dollar industry. Star HS athletes attract bling for their schools in the forms of corporate sponsorship.

Plus, Its a chance for academically unspectacular teens to get goodie$$$$ they couldn't get on merit alone...such as a free ride to college and posh accomodations. You know -- the stuff that "ordinary* students could only acquire by going 5 or 6 figures of debt.