Boxing ring in a taekwondo dojang

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've also erected six permanent hanging heavy bags and plan on adding a boxing ring which I think will add to the serious look of the school.

What are you going to do with the boxing ring as far as taekwondo goes? How much does a boxing ring cost? Seems like a large expense while at the same time taking up a lot of space. I can understand if you had an MMA school, but I am trying to figure out how it works in a taekwondo dojang.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you going to do with the boxing ring as far as taekwondo goes? How much does a boxing ring cost? Seems like a large expense while at the same time taking up a lot of space. I can understand if you had an MMA school, but I am trying to figure out how it works in a taekwondo dojang.

http://www.combatsports.com/csi/cages-rings-flooring/boxing-mma-rings.html

http://www.combatsports.com/csi/cages-rings-flooring/mma-cages.html

IMO, yes, it is a big expense, however, if you have a big school, teach MMA and/or boxing, its probably a necessity. How would it work in a TKD dojang....don't know, other than giving students an enclosed area vs. an open area, to train in.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are the dimensions of a boxing ring? Taekwondo, at least competition sparring under the WTF rules, is based in large part on boxing principles, training methodology and strategy.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We do TKD Matches in a boxing ring once per year at Richard Steels gym. It is fun to watch and you can't get out of the ring so it makes the matches more exciting. It is for youth against gangs charity that my daughter is a youth spokes person. It makes fighting in the corner allot more interesting. I like none traditional stuff.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I've been quoted $4500 to get a regulation size one professionally installed. Don't know if that is a bargain or not, but this guy was recommended to me by the local boxing gym trainer who has put out some national and world title contenders.

As for what we'll use it for... well, it'll be a toy at first. We'll let the kids spar in it on special occasions. It doesn't really have to do much at this point other than look good and rev up our reputation as a serious place to train in and where the owner will make investments into the facilities as needed.

At some point, perhaps the boxing ring will be used for something more. Opportunities for growth don't come unless we plan for them.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its good to spar in smaller spaces like a boxing ring, it allows for less back pedalling and if you get "cornered" you have to fight your way out. It adds a new dimension to sparring.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't see why he shouldn't and why make a thread out it instead of just asking him! His place after all.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't see why he shouldn't and why make a thread out it instead of just asking him! His place after all.

Because it's resulted in discussion.

I've learnt how much a boxing ring costs (at least in America, but that's better than before because I had no idea) and whether any Taekwondoin ever use a boxing ring.

I don't have an opinion on whether he should do it (not that it would matter, so maybe rephrase to "whether I would do it"), but it's interesting and the whole point of forums to get discussion/other opinions/debate.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because it's resulted in discussion.

I've learnt how much a boxing ring costs (at least in America, but that's better than before because I had no idea) and whether any Taekwondoin ever use a boxing ring.

I don't have an opinion on whether he should do it (not that it would matter, so maybe rephrase to "whether I would do it"), but it's interesting and the whole point of forums to get discussion/other opinions/debate.

Mmm, we'll see, it's all in the wording isn't it. Boxing rings aren't that expensive here, depends on size.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
From a young "dinosaur's" perspective, on the "traditional" competition circuit, the grandchampion matches were sparred in a boxing ring. If you've never practiced sparring in one, it can be a bit of a challenge. Personally, I like it for the reasons mentioned above; you can't back out/run out of the ring and it forces you to move laterally or move in, rather than backing up as much.

As for how much it would benefit a KKW Taekwondoin for the KKW curriculum? I cannot speak to that. However, I think as a martial artist, it would be beneficial to train in an enclosed space for those reasons mentioned above.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The tournament is 3 weeks from now and is always one that I look forward to. I think doing things out of the traditional box is always a good experience. Our training methods are non-traditional. How we chose our coach is very out of the box and it has helped Kym and Charlie become better. We always look for things that will make us better.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I love boxing and often work its training regimen and routins in my taekwondo classes, but I wonder if a ring would not pose some safety issue: specifically the ropes around the ring. Those ropes often become dangerous when fighters fall on them, especially the lowest rope. One of boxing's most famous ring fatalies -- the one in the Ray "Boom Boom" Manchini v/s Duk Koo Kim in 1984 -- is largely attributed to the lowest rope. Kim fell on the rope with the back of his head/neck after Boom Boom hit him with a vicious right to the head. Kim died shortly after the fight. Since the incident many boxing coaches, including Emanuel Steward and the late Angelo Dundee, have called for elimination of the lowest rope. That fatality also spurred the reduction of world championship boxing rounds from 15 rounds to 12 rounds.

Given the high rate of falling in taekwondo and jumps, I'd think the ropes can be a bigger issue for taekwondoin doing WTF style sparring. I wonder what the stats of rope injury are in old school kickboxing?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dancingalone if you are really trying to make the place grow, bring in a MMA cage. People will come and start an mma program. Me I will stay with TKD but that is my choice.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dancingalone if you are really trying to make the place grow, bring in a MMA cage. People will come and start an mma program. Me I will stay with TKD but that is my choice.

How does an MMA cage compare size and cost wise to a boxing ring? Similar?

Latest Discussions