Boxing match

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So had my match and I got a draw. Honestly it was an ugly match I'm not happy with it. It was 3 rounds. The guy had 2 previous amateur boxing matches but he ran for a lot of the fight he used good footwork to back off whenever I came in and threw jabs which countered. I'm not moaning or making excuses it was a good strategy for him and effective, he won the first quite easily it took me a while to settle in even though I've just been sparring with hands for weeks when I was under pressure I did accidenfallu go to throw a kicki didnt throw it full I raised my knee and was about to and stopped myself my coach said after that when I did he could see me mutter oh **** to myself haha.

But yeah first round he controlled with the jab which bloodied up my nose a bit and a couple body shots which stung like hell I didn't land much apart from a counter hook I landed over a jab. So yeah he won the round.

Second round: I can't tell you who won that it was very close I got more in my rhythm and managed to put him into the ropes to stop him moving so much and I landed some decent body shots and one made him fall down but it got ruled as a slip whether it was or not I don't know but yeah I caught him with a few shots he caught me with a few very close round. I'll have to get my friends to give me a copu and rewatch it.

Round 3: another close one but I do think I won it. We were both tired by then we'd had a high pace the first 2 but since his game was more movement he got tired and slowed his movement down so I got the chance to land more. Nothing of note really I think I wobbled with a cross as he was moving in he staggered back but I didnt capitalise on it. He got me me with a few body shots which backed me up but last 10 seconds I threw everything at him to try and steal it most of didnt land but It backed him up while he was blocking I was throwing so I gave me that round.

So my thoughts were he won round 1 I won round 3 it all depended to me on who they scored the second for.

What happened was one judge gave it to me, one gave it to him and the last one called it a draw.

I'm not sure the exact scores I'll need to check that with my coach next training session.

But I can't complain it wasnt a great exciting fight it was probably the worst I've performed in the ring since I couldn't use my kicks which I do like using more and I was very tired from it.

Honestly if they'd given him the win I wouldn't have argued or said it was a robbery I'm glad I did it it was a good experience maybe I'll box again if the opportunity comes up but I know I'm defienetely more suited to kicboxing than boxing.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice work.
Thanks I'm thinking of next trying some point fighting. There's a tournament in my area coming up where some guys and girls on my team compete in. So I might try that as I've never done point fighting before. I know a lot of people hate it and think it's stupid but I enjoy watching it I think it's interesting and fun to watch because in boxing or kickbxoinh you can potentially end up watching for example 12 rounds of jabs or 12 of low kicks. But in points the matches are quick and you know if you're winning or not. Also it'll be good to not worry about taking a lot of damage. I just like testing myself it's not about winning or losing or getting medals or trophies just want to see what I'm capable of so I can look back when I'm old and can say I tried what I wanted to do and don't have regrets

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks I'm thinking of next trying some point fighting. There's a tournament in my area coming up where some guys and girls on my team compete in. So I might try that as I've never done point fighting before. I know a lot of people hate it and think it's stupid but I enjoy watching it I think it's interesting and fun to watch because in boxing or kickbxoinh you can potentially end up watching for example 12 rounds of jabs or 12 of low kicks. But in points the matches are quick and you know if you're winning or not. Also it'll be good to not worry about taking a lot of damage. I just like testing myself it's not about winning or losing or getting medals or trophies just want to see what I'm capable of so I can look back when I'm old and can say I tried what I wanted to do and don't have regrets

Definitely give it a go. It is not time wasted regardless of the outcome.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nice work, bro.

zanaffar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you've never done point fighting, this might end up being a frustrating experience. Obviously it will depend on the rules, buy if it's like any point sparring I've done in the past, almost none of what you've done in kickboxing or boxing will apply. Forget about blocking, forget about eating shots, forget about setting up combos. You will need to have super quick in and out footwork, and quick flappy kicks that barely make contact. It's as different to full or heavy contact fighting as grappling is to striking.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you've never done point fighting, this might end up being a frustrating experience. Obviously it will depend on the rules, buy if it's like any point sparring I've done in the past, almost none of what you've done in kickboxing or boxing will apply. Forget about blocking, forget about eating shots, forget about setting up combos. You will need to have super quick in and out footwork, and quick flappy kicks that barely make contact. It's as different to full or heavy contact fighting as grappling is to striking.
Like I said I don't care if I win or lose Im happy to just try it

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Have to agree here, if you've been boxing and kickboxing chances are you will only last in a point scoring match until you throw your first punch/kick and you are disqualified for being too hard. if you do last beyond that and you take some hits you'll lose on points anyway.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Have to agree here, if you've been boxing and kickboxing chances are you will only last in a point scoring match until you throw your first punch/kick and you are disqualified for being too hard. if you do last beyond that and you take some hits you'll lose on points anyway.
Again as I've said if I lose I lose life goes on I'm not going to not do something because I'm afraid of losing

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again as I've said if I lose I lose life goes on I'm not going to not do something because I'm afraid of losing

Mmm being disqualified and thought of as a thug isn't just losing lol. Actually it's nothing to do with losing the match, it's about bad training. Fine if you like points competitions but because you don't actually strike it sets in bad habits for when you do need to strike outside competitions. In points you are constantly pulling your punches to just touch your opponent, after a while that becomes the norm for you. You may think you are having just the one bout but you will have to train a lot to get ready for the change of rules and that's where the rest of your training will suffer.

zanaffar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to voice something that may very well be unpopular and possibly looked down upon as unsportsman-like...During my point sparring TKD days, I had ONLY had experience sparring against other point fighters. I never experienced full contact sparring until I had moved away to college (after 10 years of strictly point sparring). I got my *** whooped consistently, and this was a HUGE wake up call to me. If, during a point sparring competition, I had by some providence been paired up with an opponent who had been trained in full contact, and they had delivered a full force hit that rocked me to my core (even if this disqualified them), I can almost PROMISE you that I would have sought out a full contact school much MUCH earlier on in my training. I think a vast majority of point fighters live in a bubble isolated from the reality that what they do doesn't work at all in full contact. My line of thinking was, "if I can pull my punch/kick 1/2 an inch from my opponent's face, then I can just as easily follow through with it." That's a huge fallacy. And that's not nearly the only difference between the two styles of competition. You never learn to respect your opponent's power in point sparring. You never get actually scared of getting hurt. There were so many habits for me to break when transitioning to full contact.

So... if it just so happens that you get disqualified on excessive contact... and if that snaps even 1 person out of their point fighting bubble... Well... maybe that's a good thing!

Latest Discussions