Boxing gloves recommendation

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking to buy some boxing gloves. The most common brands in my country (and therefore, not that expensive) that are made for sparring and not hitting the bag, are Everlast and Adidas. Now, according to my teacher, Adidas are the best option. Has anyone ever used them? Do you recommend Everlast or Adidas, or just something else? The brands that I'm seeing in local stores are:

• Adidas ($70+)
  • Everlast ($60+)
  • Proyec (not Protec) ($40+)
  • Super Pro ($35+)
  • Granmarc ($40+)
  • Budokan Fighter ($60+)
  • Lonsdale ($70+)
  • Venum (Almost $200)
The green ones are the ones that I know are good, there are some more expensive models that seem quite nice, the red ones look not so good (maybe someone used them and can tell me something), and the orange ones look good too, but I don't know anything about them. After those brands, everything is over $100 and that's a bit over budget, but look very good. What do you think?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jeez all those prices look overpriced to me, the last pair I bought were 15 and they work just fine. As I've said before I don't find any differene in brands it all feels the same. Anyway can't you just buy some from the gym you train at. Most places will have there own stock of equipment to sell

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jeez all those prices look overpriced to me, the last pair I bought were 15 and they work just fine. As I've said before I don't find any differene in brands it all feels the same. Anyway can't you just buy some from the gym you train at. Most places will have there own stock of equipment to sell
Not this gym. It's small and all it has are like 15 pairs of used gloves to borrow. Those are hell that's why I want a pair of my own.

The prices are high because of taxes and shipping costs. Nothing is made here so we import it. So the prices are "fine". I have no intention of competing, so you think I should buy some affordable ones and forget about it?

Sent from my LG-H440n using Tapatalk

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not this gym. It's small and all it has are like 15 pairs of used gloves to borrow. Those are hell that's why I want a pair of my own.

The prices are high because of taxes and shipping costs. Nothing is made here so we import it. So the prices are "fine". I have no intention of competing, so you think I should buy some affordable ones and forget about it?

Pretty much yeah I mean others will say it does matter and I guess it's opinion but I've never noticed a difference. I don't care about all this designer brand stuff. I'd rather pay more fr training sessions than equipment. I

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My last Thai Boxing Gym recommended Fairtex and Twins. Just to increase your list and doubts. ;)

I used for a few months cheap 8 oz (Raw) boxing gloves (£10-15) mainly for sparring. The only issue is we sweat a bit inside because they were made of plastic. Just bought others (RDX) because 8 oz was not allowed/welcome in some gyms. I would save money for now. When we advance (if we do) we know exactly what we want, what we need and how much we are willing to put in our passion.

PS: Can't help about the brands on your list.

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Pretty much yeah I mean others will say it does matter and I guess it's opinion but I've never noticed a difference. I don't care about all this designer brand stuff. I'd rather pay more fr training sessions than equipment. I
Yeah I don't care about brands either. Sometimes brands are just brands, some other times, they are brands, but also quality. Maybe someone had good references. I think I'll stick with a cheap pair and in a few months see what happens. I can always sell the old ones to get new ones.

My last Thai Boxing Gym recommended Fairtex and Twins. Just to increase your list and doubts. ;)

I used for a few months cheap 8 oz (Raw) boxing gloves (£10-15) mainly for sparring. The only issue is we sweat a bit inside because they were made of plastic. Just bought others (RDX) because 8 oz was not allowed/welcome in some gyms. I would save money for now. When we advance (if we do) we know exactly what we want, what we need and how much we are willing to put in our passion.

PS: Can't help about the brands on your list.

The thing about waiting, is that I have to use the ones I'm lend in the gym, and I have to tell you, those are NEVER cleaned. You can't imagine the... Particular smell your hands have after practice. [emoji40]

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
With things like everlast you can buy crap gloves. They do cheap versions.

But the expensive ones are pretty good.

Out of those. I would spend the money and get venum. I think they will last a bit longer. And are more likely to have the correct weights.

Boxing gloves are not all about you. If you have crap coming off them. Or if you have a couple of brown paper bags with 16oz written on them in pen. The people who punch you in the face will start off upset.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The thing about waiting, is that I have to use the ones I'm lend in the gym, and I have to tell you, those are NEVER cleaned. You can't imagine the... Particular smell your hands have after practice. [emoji40]
I don't recommend anyone using nasty gloves. :) I am just saying you can buy cheap ones for now, while you choose the 'perfect pair'. Or you use the nasty ones for a bit more time while you choose your gloves.

Gloves last long time, they are one of the most important items in boxing(s), so it requires a weighted choice if you're to keep going in the long term.

Last edited:
OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes. I hate using those darn gloves. I also know that hitting people with garbage gloves is not cool. I can't really afford the Venum so I'll stick with cheapish gloves. Maybe some mid-range Adidas o Everlast. We'll see. Thanks for the help.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes. I hate using those darn gloves. I also know that hitting people with garbage gloves is not cool. I can't really afford the Venum so I'll stick with cheapish gloves. Maybe some mid-range Adidas o Everlast. We'll see. Thanks for the help.
My £10-15 8oz gloves were not that bad for the opponent. Actually, they have more pad than the 10oz RDX I bought later. The issue is the material (plastic). Of course (cow) leather is much better for comfort and hygiene.

For the prices you gave, the gloves must be great. And you must use them for years. Otherwise, it is a waste. :)

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
For the prices you gave, the gloves must be great. And you must use them for years. Otherwise, it is a waste. :)
Don't be so sure. Prices are very high here (compared to the US). Everything is more expensive, since around 33% is taxes, and then add shipping.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah I don't care about brands either. Sometimes brands are just brands, some other times, they are brands, but also quality. Maybe someone had good references. I think I'll stick with a cheap pair and in a few months see what happens. I can always sell the old ones to get new ones.

You can wear inner gloves with your skirt if you are worried about your hands.

Also make sure you get the right Oz gloves. Same deal just because you fight in 10s doesn't mean you have to spar in them.

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You can wear inner gloves with your skirt if you are worried about your hands.

Also make sure you get the right Oz gloves. Same deal just because you fight in 10s doesn't mean you have to spar in them.
Oh yes I'm aware of the fact that it's better to spar with higher Oz, to avoid hurting your opponent.

By the way, does everyone use Velcro? I would love to use the other ones, they look a lot more comfortable, but you can't put them on on your own right?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh yes I'm aware of the fact that it's better to spar with higher Oz, to avoid hurting your opponent.

By the way, does everyone use Velcro? I would love to use the other ones, they look a lot more comfortable, but you can't put them on on your own right?

Basically that.

you can get lace ups in brands like cleto,s. But they are basically the ducks nuts of gloves.

images

images

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Basically that.

you can get lace ups in brands like cleto,s. But they are basically the ducks nuts of gloves.

images

images
Yeah that sounds about right. I'll go to a store that was recommended to me today. Hope I can find something suitable.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it is common practice. But the best to avoid hurting is having control. Or a mix of big gloves and control. Gloves alone protect the skin and hands.

I sparred with 4 oz MMA gloves long time and no incident. (Then changed to 8 oz boxing glove because that 4oz were intimidating... :) and because we didn't grapple that much). When I trained self-defence (10 years) I used a kind of MMA glove with extra pad. No incidents, other than red eyes when they get hit. I had more pleasure with that level of control than being powerful...

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think it is common practice. But the best to avoid hurting is having control. Or a mix of big gloves and control. Gloves alone protect the skin and hands.

I sparred with 4 oz MMA gloves long time and no incident. (Then changed to 8 oz boxing glove because that 4oz were intimidating... :) and because we didn't grapple that much). When I trained self-defence (10 years) I used a kind of MMA glove with extra pad. No incidents, other than red eyes when they get hit. I had more pleasure with that level of control than being powerful...

Oh yeah that sucks. I got punched in the eye, and no matter how padded the gloves are, you'll be dropping tears like a baby :p

Anyways, I'm still sort of a noob, so I'll probably get 12+Oz. As I said, I can always loose a little money and sell them later on :D

aanna

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi That-a-Way,

What kind of Gloves you want to buy? there is many kinds like Boxing, Gym, bag and MMA Gloves etc............! I recommend search RDX online Store and review all kind of Gloves at: Buy Boxing Gloves | RDX Sports UK

webmaster786

White Belt
Reaction score
Everlast should be called Evercrap. No doubt Everlast is famous, but have an undeserved good reputation. Everlast is a big name but do not equal quality. Their gloves never last and only have wadding around the knuckles. You can easily hurt your hand if you don't punch perfectly and they wear down like nothing. Your hands will be so aching boxing with Evercrap your first few times and their lack of padding. While on the other hand, I think Cleto Reyes are the best gloves, but the foremost number one gloves are Grant Gloves you have to try this it's marvelous. They have proper padding all throughout the glove and not just around the knuckles and you do not have to worry at all while using them :)

aanna

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking to buy some boxing gloves. The most common brands in my country (and therefore, not that expensive) that are made for sparring and not hitting the bag, are Everlast and Adidas. Now, according to my teacher, Adidas are the best option. Has anyone ever used them? Do you recommend Everlast or Adidas, or just something else? The brands that I'm seeing in local stores are:

• Adidas ($70+)
  • Everlast ($60+)
  • Proyec (not Protec) ($40+)
  • Super Pro ($35+)
  • Granmarc ($40+)
  • Budokan Fighter ($60+)
  • Lonsdale ($70+)
  • Venum (Almost $200)
The green ones are the ones that I know are good, there are some more expensive models that seem quite nice, the red ones look not so good (maybe someone used them and can tell me something), and the orange ones look good too, but I don't know anything about them. After those brands, everything is over $100 and that's a bit over budget, but look very good. What do you think?
Great to know you I recommend: Top 10 Boxing Gloves