Boxing Gloves - different weights

bjjapprentice

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey there, I am 16, around 70kg and my hands aren't huge, what glove weight would you recommend?

Thanks

brianlkennedy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I use 16 oz Twins brand gloves. My MMA teacher recommended 16oz because a lot of gyms will require you to wear 16 oz. to spar. Twins is a great brand of glove and at a fair price. (no I do not own stock in the Twins company!)

Their website is www.twinsspecial.com

take care,
Brian

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use 20 oz Ringside gloves for sparring and bag work. I have 18 oz that I used to use, but I like the heavier gloves for added work and protection. I require adult students to use at least 18 oz for training and sparring.

When I fight gloved knockdown I have a couple of sets of 4 oz that are nasty to get hit with.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It depends on what you're using them for. I would get at least 12 oz. gloves for bag & pad work, & 16 oz. for sparring. I've really important to protect your hands.

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've got 14oz that I use for training. :)

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
16 oz., I think, would be the way to go. Check with your school to see if they have any requirements, though!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
16 oz., I think, would be the way to go. Check with your school to see if they have any requirements, though!

This is a great point. Years ago, I trained at a gym & brought 14 oz training gloves for sparring & was asked to get some 16 oz.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've used 12 oz gloves and they held up for awhile before the wear and tear. But if you don't use 12 oz then I agree that 16 oz is the way to go.

Latest Discussions