Gloves - some questions

bjjapprentice

White Belt
Reaction score
It's time I got a decent pair of gloves.

I've noticed there are different sizes. I am 16, around 70kg, and my hands aren't huge. What size would you recommend?

Thanks

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends what kind of gloves and the intended use you're looking for. I use 4 oz Harbinger's with wrist locks for my daily workout on the heavy bag. I use much lighter Everlast gloves for the speed bag.

As far as sizing, there are usually sizing charts on the packaging. Hope this helps.

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you are young and your hands are small, Ringside carries a junior size bag gloves. They are perfect for people with smaller hands like kids and women. They don't look small on the outside but they are smaller on the inside. I got my wife a pair and I have a 16 yr old student that uses them as well.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are we talking boxing gloves, bag gloves, or work gloves :)?

If you're looking for boxing gloves, you need to know what weight you want. Talk to your instructor about what to buy. I know Ringside has a couple of lines in slightly different sizes.

If you're looking for bag gloves -- again, you need to know what the purpose is. Heavy bag, lots of pounding, few wraps -- you want a more padded glove. Speed bag or occasional use, or if you'll be using lots of wraps -- you may go for a lighter glove.

early

White Belt
Reaction score
I too have small hands , I use Sandee 8 oz boxing gloves for everything , pad work , heavy bags and light sparring .

Without wraps the are a little loose and I can get them on and off quickly when using pads with a partner , and with wraps they are nice and tight so I can pound away at the heavy bags without getting sore hands/wrists .

And when I get into the ring my hands don't feel any heavier than in training ,
so I don't tire too quickly .

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my experience most fights are with 10oz gloves but what are we talking about here - what are you using them for? My old trainer often got us in the 20oz gloves for endurance/stamina training etc.

But if you're after a good all work around why not go for a 6oz pair that will let you work the heavy bag and speed ball as well as sparring?

colesey

White Belt
Reaction score
twins 12oz - good for everything, also quite a tight fit

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If your 70kg i think 10-12 oz would be a good idea.

I think thats what you would use if your that weight.