What style of karate was used as kickboxing??`

MMAfighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm just curious...was there a certain style of karate that was put into kickboxing around the early 60's or whenever kickboxing was started, or it it just as long as you trained in karate, you jsut add boxing and use the kicks form that style?? Not sure if i explained that right but if you guys don't get what i mean i'll rephrase it :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good question. I'm not sure what arts these folks trained in, but Bill Wallace, Joe Lewis & Benny Urquidez were early champions in the 70's. So, whatever styles they trained in. I'm sure Shotokan & Taekwondo were 2 styles that folks trained in.

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
I heart here were four major styles that helped "make" Kickboxing. Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, and Tang Soo Do. And the 3 major people were Joe Lewis, Bill Wallace, and Chuck Norris, who when it started, they called it Full Contact Karate.

Joe Lewis, the "founder" of Kickboxing in the USA, was a Shorin Ryu stylist. Bill Wallace was also a Shorin Ryu stylist, while Chuck Norris was a Tang Soo Do/Taekwondo stylist.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the answer is going to depend on who you ask. The ABA can document some of the earliest and most continous recognizable kickboxing type events here in the US -- but I wouldn't be at all surprised if others point to other events as being the "first." After all, I know there were matches in the fifties and earlier between karate fighters and boxers...

As to the styles represented among the early kickboxers -- I think you'll find that many of the Japanese/Okinawan karate styles had some representation, and also several of the Korean styles, as well. I wouldn't be in the least surprised if you could dig up a "kung fu guy" or two, as well. In other words -- I think that early kickboxers probably were representative of the martial arts community at the time.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the answer is going to depend on who you ask. The ABA can document some of the earliest and most continous recognizable kickboxing type events here in the US -- but I wouldn't be at all surprised if others point to other events as being the "first." After all, I know there were matches in the fifties and earlier between karate fighters and boxers...

As to the styles represented among the early kickboxers -- I think you'll find that many of the Japanese/Okinawan karate styles had some representation, and also several of the Korean styles, as well. I wouldn't be in the least surprised if you could dig up a "kung fu guy" or two, as well. In other words -- I think that early kickboxers probably were representative of the martial arts community at the time.

Paul Vizzo is certainly one of those that did quite well.

OP
M

MMAfighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
kung fu and taekwondo too?? Cool...i thought Chuck norris was a karate guy....guess not haha

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
LegLockGuy summed it up pretty well, but you need to look at things a little differently: kickboxing is not a style--it is something you do with a style.

That means that any style (pure or mixed) can go kickbox.
With that in mind, if you ask someone what style they take, and they say "kickboxing," that is like asking someone what NFL team they play on and they reply "football." The answer doesn't quite make sense.

Now, many school teach something they call "kickboxing" but that is a misnomer. Usually they are teaching a mix of styles or just some kicks with some boxing hand moves put together and are peddling it out as a style in itself or a program. If you dig deep enough, you can find out what style they are using or taking away from to get what they are teaching.

AoG

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
No. His full contact Karate was tournament fighting. Which is now point fighting. He kickboxed Bill wallace in a movie. That's about it. He was never a kickboxer. He promoted it and commentated the fights. Never participated in it.

OP
M

MMAfighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
No. His full contact Karate was tournament fighting. Which is now point fighting. He kickboxed Bill wallace in a movie. That's about it. He was never a kickboxer. He promoted it and commentated the fights. Never participated in it.
awww nuts, and here i was beleiving the whole "chuck norris kickboxing world champion!!" hype...sheesh..

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can only remember bits and pieces from back in the day, as I was just a little kid. There was never any one style that was really doing the majority of the kickboxing. There were a couple of guys from here and a few from over there. Here in the KC area it was pretty spread out, but the Bushidokan guys under the guidance of Jim Harrison that were really leading the charge for promoting and doing the majority of the fighting.

BTW-not to start a bickering arguement, but have any of you seen the fights from back when Chuck Norris, Skipper Mullins, Pat Burrelson, Billy Blanks, Steve Anderson, etc. were fighting? They were not even close to what point fighting is today. It was not uncommon for people to get knocked out or to have some damage done to them. Call it what you want, but it was a blood and guts time with some freaky guys.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
BTW-not to start a bickering arguement, but have any of you seen the fights from back when Chuck Norris, Skipper Mullins, Pat Burrelson, Billy Blanks, Steve Anderson, etc. were fighting? They were not even close to what point fighting is today. It was not uncommon for people to get knocked out or to have some damage done to them. Call it what you want, but it was a blood and guts time with some freaky guys.

That is what I was getting at. Joe Lewis and Bill Wallace were there to knock you out, not just get points.

AoG

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chuck never kickboxed, just commentated. He is a Korean M.A. stylist. (Tang soo do I believe)

[URL said:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001569/bio[/URL]]Mini Biography Chuck Norris's fight career lasted from 1964-1974. Norris started off by losing his first three tournaments but, by 1966, he was almost unbeatable. Among the numerous titles he won were The National Karate Championships (1966), All-Star Championships (1966), World Middleweight Karate Championship (1967), All-American Karate Championship (1967), Internationals (1968), World Professional Middleweight Karate Championship (defeating Louis Delgado on 24 November 1968), All-American Championship (1968), National Tournament of Champions (1968), American Tang Soo Championship, and the North American Karate Championship. Norris compiled a fight record of 65-5 with wins over champions Joe Lewis, Skipper Mullins, Arnold Urquidez, Ronald L. Marchini, Victor Moore, Louis Delgado, and Steve Sanders. Of the five men to beat Norris, three were Allen Steen, Joe Lewis, and Norris's last career defeat to Louis Delgado in 1968. Norris retired as undefeated Professional Full-Contact Middleweight Champion in 1974.

[URL said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_norris#Fight_record[/URL]]His record, based on tournament matches, is estimated to be 183-10-2, though some sources list it as 65-5. Norris won an estimated 30 or more tournaments, beating an average of five opponents per tournament. At the New York tournaments, he defeated 12-13 opponents per tournament.

• 1963: 15th Airforce Judo Tournament, Fairchild Airforce Base, Spokane, Washington, March 22-23, fought as Carlos Norris: Result unknown.
  • 1964: Defeated unknown opponent in Salt Lake City Tournament (debut).
  • 1964: Defeated unknown opponent in semi-finals in Salt Lake City Tournament.
  • 1964: Defeated by unknown opponent in finals in Salt Lake City Tournament.
  • 1964: Defeated Ron Marchini in the finals at the Tak Kubota's All-Stars Tournament in Los Angeles, California by half a point.
  • 1965: Defeated by Tony Tulleners at Takayuki Kubota's All-Stars Tournament in Los Angeles, California.
  • 1965: Defeated by Tony Tulleners
  • 1965: Defeated by Tony Tulleners
  • 1965: Defeated by Joe Lewis.
  • 1965: Defeated Ron Marchini for the Grand Championship of the Winter Nationals in San Jose, California.
  • 1966: Defeated by Allen Steen at the Long Beach Tournament promoted by Ed Parker.
  • 1966: Won the National Winter Karate Championships in San Jose, California promoted by Jim Mather.
  • 1966: Defeated Skipper Mullins.
  • 1966: Defeated Joe Lewis in finals of the Tournament of Champions in New York City.
  • 1966: Won the All-Star Championship Tournament in Los Angeles, California.
  • 1966: Defeated Skipper Mullins.
  • 1967: Won American Tang Soo Do Championship in Stockton, California.
  • 1967: Defeated 11 opponents in elimination matches at the All-American Karate Championships in Madision Square Garden in New York City.
  • 1967: Defeated Hiroshi Nakamura (Japan) in semi-finals of the All-American Karate Championships in New York by points 12-1.
  • 1967: Defeated Joe Lewis for the Grand Championship at the All-American Karate Championships in New York.
  • 1967: Won the World Karate Middleweight Title in Long Beach, California
  • 1967: Defeated Skipper Mullins.
  • 1967: Defeated 11 opponents in elimination matches at the Grand Champion Internationals on August 12, 1967.
  • 1967: Defeated Carlos Bundo at the Grand Champion Internationals on August 12, 1967.

• 1967: Defeated Joe Lewis by one point at the Grand Champion Internationals on August 12, 1967.
  • 1967: Won All American Karate Championships promoted by Henry Cho.
  • 1967: Won National Tang So Do Tournament in Silver Spring, Maryland.
  • 1967: Defeated by Marcos Solar at Kini K. Wang Tournament.
  • 1967: Defeated Joe Lewis.
  • 1967: Defeated Arnold Urquidez.
  • 1967: Defeated Victor Moore.
  • 1967: Defeated Steve Sanders.
  • 1967: Won All American Karate Championships.
  • 1968: Defeated Fred Wren in Dallas Tournament. (Norris' nose was broken)
  • 1968: Defeated Skipper Mullins in semi finals in Dallas Tournament.(Norris fought with a broken nose).
  • 1968: Defeated by Joe Lewis in finals of Dallas Tournament promoted by Allen Steen. (Norris fought with a broken nose).
  • 1968: Defeated by Jim Butin in the opening match of a tournament in Silver Springs, Maryland.
  • 1968: Defeated Skipper Mullins in Long Beach, California.
  • 1968: Won the Internationals (Dallas, Texas).
  • 1968: Defeated Louis Delgado.
  • 1968: Defeated by Louis Delgado in West Coast vs, East Coast.
  • 1968: Defeated Theodore Wong in Orient vs. U.S. in New York.
  • 1968: Defeated Louis Delgado on November 24 on points, 101 to 93, to win the World Professional Middleweight Title at the Waldorf Astoria in New York. (Norris suffered a broken jaw)
  • 1968: Draw with George Chalian, on Governor's Island, in New York.
  • 1968: Won All-American Karate Championships in New York defeating 13 opponents.
  • 1968: Won the National Tournament of Champions in Cleveland, Ohio.
  • 1969: Won The Internationals.
  • 1970: Won All Star Teams Championship in Long Beach, California.
  • 1970: Defeated unknown opponent on January 17 at the Long Beach Sports Arena for the U.S. Team Championship. Norris announced his retirement following the match.
  • 1972: Draw with Willie Adams-U.S. Teams Championship.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No. His full contact Karate was tournament fighting. Which is now point fighting.
Not exactly, no. The rules then allowed for "heavy contact," low leg kicks, direct face contact, trips and sweeps, and could be won by knockout. The assertion that it "morphed" into modern Kickboxing is not entirely inaccurate. There were several "splits" and new organizations formed from the originals on the circuit, one of those was Kickboxing. Further, the early rules of Kickboxing were not all that dissimilar to the rules of the "Full Contact Karate" tournaments of the 70's.

He kickboxed Bill wallace in a movie. That's about it. He was never a kickboxer. He promoted it and commentated the fights. Never participated in it.
He fought in "Full Contact Karate" tournaments with rules not dissimilar to Kickboxing rules (and in some cases, less restrictive than Kickboxing rules), against the likes of "Skipper" Mullins and Joe Lewis. It wasn't modern MMA, but it was about as hardcore as you could find at the time and still be legal.

While the claim that Norris wasn't a "Kickboxer" is technically correct, it is also misleading. Norris participated in what eventually morphed into Kickboxing. Norris' tournament career was OVER by the end of the early 70's, just a little before "Kickboxing" officially took off.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
awww nuts, and here i was beleiving the whole "chuck norris kickboxing world champion!!" hype...sheesh..
He did have several "World" and national championship titles. But he earned them in "American Full Contact Karate" tournaments of the 60's and early 70's, before even the word "Kickboxing" was commonly known.

The rules were kinda like a cross between Kickboxing and Kyokushin.

Boxing gloves, head contact, "heavy force," etc. There are some pretty interesting injury records from the time. Broken arms and knees and stuff. I don't recall how common it was, but it did happen from time to time.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can only remember bits and pieces from back in the day, as I was just a little kid. There was never any one style that was really doing the majority of the kickboxing. There were a couple of guys from here and a few from over there. Here in the KC area it was pretty spread out, but the Bushidokan guys under the guidance of Jim Harrison that were really leading the charge for promoting and doing the majority of the fighting.
And I remember what Kickboxing morphed into in the 80's. The piling on of rules and lots of other things led to a point where guys just learned how to BOX and they officially instituted a "minimum kicks" rule and then you had guys throwing the requisite 5 roundhouses per round and then boxing the rest out. :p

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is what I was getting at. Joe Lewis and Bill Wallace were there to knock you out, not just get points.
Piffle.

Boxing has "points" too.

MMA has "points" too.

BJJ has "points" too.

Judo has "points" too (there's even a specific throw named for it).

It is misleading to simply say, "well it's point fighting," implying that there's no skill, no contact, or it's somehow "less real." Pft. No one dismisses De La Hoya because he beat Sturm or Castillejo "on points."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions