Boxing as a Martial Art

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go train yourself and stop obsessing my posts.

It really isn't cheating, but I should be able to do it 100%. after so long. My weight is very light, but I can also pick anyone apart so quickly that they won't know what happened to them. This is very evident in two step sparring when I kick or punch lighting fast and retract, so they can feel the wind in their face . My sparring partner doesn't understand that this is innate in me. I am not even close to touching them.

You can't 'obsess' posts lol. However it's amusing how you fantasise about your abilities as a martial artist.... if you partner is feeling your wind in their face I'd suggest you aren't doing it properly and need to cut down on eating those beans.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
You can't 'obsess' posts lol. However it's amusing how you fantasise about your abilities as a martial artist.... if you partner is feeling your wind in their face I'd suggest you aren't doing it properly and need to cut down on eating those beans.

Only because you can't.....And my stamina is poor because I am several kilograms below my expected height. This however might be in my favour for the knees taking less damage (because of less weight). That's at least how I rationalise it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How am I supposed to do that, when after more than 6 months I still cheat the TKD conditioning in push ups. Sit ups however is peanuts for me, for whatever reason. I can do 200 in about 2 minutes and 10 seconds (I clocked it).

My legs are strong as well.

Well you go do the boxing. Then you get good at it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O yes you can. Obsessing over posts.

Don't flatter yourself sonny, you are one of the most amusing posters here why wouldn't I follow you, you make me laugh more than many.
Oh and drop bear is correct.

'Expected height', you dropped your guard there didn't you, if you aren't grown up yet you are a lot younger than you are letting on aren't you, what are you 15, 16 maybe?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good:D

Apparenty, a typical Boxing conditioning is: 30 pushups, followed by 30 clap push ups, followed by 30 finger pushups, followed by squats, and other things. It will leave a fairly lazy guy blown away even before the punching starts.

Compare that to Taekwondo conditioning: 30 pushups, followed by 20 pushups, followed by 10 pushups (I can't even do that fully, they do it too fast, and once my breathing get's heavy I have to slow down, followed by 50 situps. Countless stomach exercises lift your legs up to the air and down - maybe 75 times, holding on to something in the back, in a sitting position. The last exercise is very annyoing but manageable.

I would get blown away in a Boxing Class.
I don't consider myself super fit and I would be pushing to run a kilometre these days but there wouldn't be a day at the gym where we don't do 100 to 200 push-ups, 100 to 200 crunches, sit-ups or throw downs, 100+ squats, same for lunges and 3 to 5 minutes of skipping. Plus, of course, the weights, bikes and other equipment.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah but once can do the boxing warm up you will own the tkd one.

Look at some stage you will have to stand in a ring for 3 minutes and throw hard shots at someone. That can tucker a man out.
One of the things I get my guys to do is hit the heavy bag as hard as they can and as fast as they can. I time it until they start to slow which is usually about 30 seconds.

It really is no different to a sprinter. When you give absolutely everything you hav,e it doesn't take long to start to tire.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm. Do you allow TKD guys in to visit and spar full contact? Can I kick midsection and above, to get compensation, or does that scare you guys?

You would be welcome to come in and spar full contact with us if you liked. Probably be kickboxing rules though if you wanted to kick.

So leg kicks as well. Mabye knees.

Not sure if a straight boxing gym would do it.

Otherwise I would suggest you don't spar full contact to start just in case your version and our version is different.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of the things I get my guys to do is hit the heavy bag as hard as they can and as fast as they can. I time it until they start to slow which is usually about 30 seconds.

It really is no different to a sprinter. When you give absolutely everything you hav,e it doesn't take long to start to tire.

Yeah. We get a few people who will jump in the cage for sparring and then just call it under a minute because they are knackered.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
You would be welcome to come in and spar full contact with us if you liked. Probably be kickboxing rules though if you wanted to kick.

So leg kicks as well. Mabye knees.

Not sure if a straight boxing gym would do it.

Otherwise I would suggest you don't spar full contact to start just in case your version and our version is different.

Well I was thinking American Kickboxing rules, which doesn't allow knees or Low kicks. It may sound strange but given that you midsection body MUST be conditioned as a Boxer anyway, does it really matter if I am allowed to kick there?

Maybe the trainer would object to head kicks, but midsection kicking is a good trade off.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well I was thinking American Kickboxing rules, which doesn't allow knees or Low kicks. It may sound strange but given that you midsection body MUST be conditioned as a Boxer anyway, does it really matter if I am allowed to kick there?

Maybe the trainer would object to head kicks, but midsection kicking is a good trade off.

It would be interesting to see if just midsection kicks would provide much advantage. I know i would not want to keep someone off me using them.

You would probably find a boxer who would go for that.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see if just midsection kicks would provide much advantage. I know i would not want to keep someone off me using them.

You would probably find a boxer who would go for that.

I don't think it would give an advantage. But a TKD guy could definately score the boxer some more. It simply doesn't work to box without knowing real boxing, with boxing gloves.

Although now that I think of it, nah. Doesn't make sense without head kicks allowed

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Go train yourself and stop obsessing my posts.

It really isn't cheating, but I should be able to do it 100%. after so long. My weight is very light, but I can also pick anyone apart so quickly that they won't know what happened to them. This is very evident in two step sparring when I kick or punch lighting fast and retract, so they can feel the wind in their face . My sparring partner doesn't understand that this is innate in me. I am not even close to touching them.

I hope they appreciate the experience. Personally, I love getting dazzled.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I hope they appreciate the experience. Personally, I love getting dazzled.

A red belt gasped:D. But he still didn't trust me when I assured him, and asked me to stop doing it so fast. Especially the kicks. Poor guy

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A red belt gasped:D. But he still didn't trust me when I assured him, and asked me to stop doing it so fast. Especially the kicks. Poor guy

Gain his trust and help him. You know you gotta'.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gain his trust and help him. You know you gotta'.

I don't care about him. Actually he might have been a blue belt! Anyway, doesn't matter. Belt indications are about as indicative as Astrology signs. Silly system.