Books you'd like to see made into movies

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's an Ender's Game movie in the works... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/ and http://endersgamemovie.blogspot.com/

What little I've seen/heard about it is promising.

But to make a movie, or even a limited series, of any of the Callahan stories? I don't think they'd translate well. I think too much works on the puns, on the unexpected verbal twists (like the twist in who is a time traveler in one of the earliest stories... which I won't say more about to avoid ruining the fun! Go READ THEM FOR YOURSELF!)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death". Great book. HBO was interested in it as a miniseries, but dropped the project. Boo.

With his teaching career derailed by tragedy and his slacker days numbered, Webster Fillmore Goodhue makes an unlikely move and joins Clean Team, charged with tidying up L.A.'s grisly crime scenes. For Web, it's a steady gig, and he soon finds himself sponging a Malibu suicide's brains from a bathroom mirror and flirting with the man's bereaved and beautiful daughter.

Then things get weird...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate my favourite books being made into films, I never watch them. I have all the characters imagined in my head and I don't want to see someone's idea of my favourites. I hate book clubs for the same reason, I really don't like sharing ideas etc about the books I read. Probably the sign of a book/word addict!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate my favourite books being made into films, I never watch them. I have all the characters imagined in my head and I don't want to see someone's idea of my favourites.
I said pretty much the same thing on another thread. If it was a great book, keep it away from the screen. But "if" they could do a decent job of it, I'd like to see some Robin Hobb work such as the Farseer / Tawny Man Trilogy.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to see Will Thomas' Victorian detective books (Some Danger Involved, To Kingdom Come, The Limehouse Text, The Hellfire Conspiracy, and The Black Hand) on the silver screen.

mmartist

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Vor Game by Lois M. Bujold
Any of Honor Harington books by David Webber
The Mote in God's Eye by Lari Niven and Jerry Pournell
The Rift War Saga by Reimond Feast :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death". Great book. HBO was interested in it as a miniseries, but dropped the project. Boo.

I really liked that book. Might be a great film with the right cast and director.

Kurai

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Necroscope by Brian Lumley
The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay
Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson
Axis Trilogy by Sara Douglass
The Gap series by Stephen Donaldson
In Her Name by Michael Hicks

I'd love to see a good high budget adaptation of the Dresden Chronicles that was able to capture the wit and sarcasm of the source material.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I hadn't thought of Snow Crash, that would be great.

I think Steve Perry's "Musashi Flex" would be a fun sci-fi/martial arts film.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll think more deeply on this later but to bump the thread I'll mention a couple off the top of my head.

Ender's Game - Already being made into a movie so doesnt count.

Dune - A Dune movie directed by Tarsem Singh would be glorious.

Mack Bolan - Really any of the novels could do, or just write a new one. Never understood why they never took advantage of the character.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to see a modern treatment of the Clan of the Cave Bear series. It's such a massive story that a regular TV show on FX or SciFi would be preferable to a movie. However if they could get Peter Jackson to create a series of major movies like he did with Lord of the Rings I would be first in line.

I would also like to see a new Wonder Woman movie, ideally directed by Joss Whedon.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Legend of Drizzt series of books by R. A. Salvatore. Yeah, I know there are a lot of fanboys for those books, but if directed well, I think they'd make a good movie.