Book recommendations

S

SingingTiger

Anybody have any of Lee Bachman's or Lee Wedlake, Jr.'s, books? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Rich

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wedlake's books are really informative. I would recommend them if you don't have them. Especially his newest one kenpo201 it has some good break down of forms in it. It's not a complete breakdown but he also says that in the front of the book but it's still darn good.
Jason Farnsworth

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have all three of Mr. Wedlake's books, very good for anyone wanting information.
The first book is a good entry point, the second one is a collection of his past articles. A lot of variety there.
The third book is also co-authored by Huk Planas on the first 4 forms. Talks about their history and some of the sets too.

OP
E

Elfan

I havn't read or really heard anything about Lee Bachman's books but my gut fealing is that money is best spent eleswere.

I have heard good things about Kenpo101, nothing about kenpo201 and read most of and skimmed the rest of the "further insights" one. The futher insights one was just a collection of magazine articles (which isn't neccisarily bad) but I didn't find them useful or interesting. If you are intersted in Mr. Wedlake's books I suggest you check out 101, amazon has many a postive review about it.

As to general book recomendations:

- Mastering Kenpo: The Path to Excelence by Skip Hancock.
"Mastery is a process. It is the process of renewal."

- The Journey, love that book.

- Ed Parker's Infinite Insights series, the encyclopedia of kenpo and his early book "kenpo karate," (for historical reasons mainly but their is some good info) if you can get your hands on it. Zen of Kenpo is nice if you need a handy refernce to all the quotes.
A note on the Infinite insights, imho, #1 is by far the best and the other I just find useful for ocasional reference.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elfan

As to general book recomendations:

'The Art of Spontaneity' by Sascha Williams

'The Medical Implications of Karate Blows' by Brian Adams

'Championship Kenpo' by Steve Sanders & Donnie Williams

Les

OP
G

gravity

Hey,

I purchased Lee Bachman's Kenpo Foundations and Kenpo Physics sometime ago. I purchased the books online and was not able to read the books before purchasing it (got reviews off amazon.com)

Kenpo foundation I felt was very short (80 pgs) and kinda basic....I know its suppose to be about foundations but it still could have gone into more depth. I felt alot of pages were wasted....for example when describing personal weapons (fist, rake, chop) the book had 1 big picture to fill the page, the textual information was also lacking - Example - name: chop origin of force: outside edge of palm and target area: neck chest, kidney groin. Thats as much depth as the book goes into the usages of a chop.

Kenpo physics on the other hand was ok, I can't say I understood everything he had to offer (could be due to my lack of kenpo experience, only 2 years). I recently read Mr Parker's Infinite Insights into Kenpo Vol 1 and browsed through KENPO KARATE LAW OF THE FIST AND THE EMPTY HAND and I must say I'd gladly trade the 2 Lee Bachman's books for 1 of Mr. Parker's (any book it doesn't matter :) I'm sure they are all amazing)

What I also found highly suspect was at the back of Mr Bachman's books it states "In 1982 he studied under Master Ed Parker". Also he mentions working "with Jeff speakman" after Mr. Parker's passing in 1990. While it may be true he studied under Mr. Parker and Mr. Speakman he didn't get graded in Parker Kenpo. He is a 7th degree in tracy's Kenpo. Perhaps this was unintentional but I found this misleading.

I also recently purchased Mr. Wedlake's Kenpo 101, loved the book lots of great information. More theoretical then practical applications. It include information on finding a school, practice methods, goals, streetfighting as well as other issues.

PS. I sincerely hope this post doesn't come off as being highly negative. I'm sure Mr Bachman is a great martial artist, I just enjoyed Mr. Parker's books more.

Thanks You Kindly

-LATER-

OP
G

gravity

Hey jbkenpo,

Wow I just visited your site, are you kidding me?..... thats some super comprehensive selection of videos you have there!

Looking forward to reading some of the ones in plain text (no links to them) gosh how many are there..... :p

What are your fav videos/ instructors?

Thank You Kindly

-LATER-

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
are you kidding me?.....

Hey, that's a direct quote from my wife...lol

The other on is something along the lines of, "is it absolutely necessary...." well you know the rest..but she puts up with me..so I have to give her credit.

Looking forward to reading some of the ones in plain text (no links to them) gosh how many are there.....

I really don't know any more...I'd have more reviewed, but the process to create the page and link takes almost as long as doing the review. Right now w/ school, work, training, more training and family the reviews have taken a back burner. Also I don't have a specialized format, I just sort of give the highlights and what stood from my very biased Kenpo perspective.

I'll probably add a few since I know people are actually looking at it now. With no guestbook feedback sometimes you don't know. I do plan to add a lot more reviews after I complete my program on Jan 30th.

What are your fav videos/ instructors?

Ok, the 64,000 dollar question. It just depends. In terms of Kenpo I have always like the Tatum vids. Blinding speed, power, solid concepts & principles, but some of my absolute favorite vids are non-Kenpo. I lean more toward the Kelly Worden, James Keating, Demi Barbito, Vunak stuff. All of which are JKD based.... The Inosanto tapes are the highest level of those concepts, Erik Paulson (another Inosanto dude) is one of my favorites as well.

At the same time I enjoy looking at the CQC techs of a Hock Hocheim and analyzing them, then trying them.

Also some of my favorites are Tony Blauer and Geoff Thompson. They approach the Art from a mental and physical aspect. Matt Thornton does that as well with his concept of "aliveness" in training. Their concepts of mental training under stress are very solid and have influenced my thoughts as all the vids do.

There are also some good Silat, Escrima, Kali stuff out there that does a good job of looking at knife and stick concepts that I haven't been exposed to yet in Kenpo (not to say they aren't there, i just haven't seen them with my limited experience). Ron Baliciki, Dog Brothers, Edgar Sulite (deceased), Remy Presas (Deceased) are good to name only a very few and as I'm typing I can think of at least 4 or 5 others that convey the information really well.

My most recent venture has been to look at some of the BBJ / Ground fighting stuff. I think we should all have some basic principles and concepts engrained in that regard (defensively and offensively).

After typing all that I still left out a lot of vids that I now remember and have viewed regularly, maybe next time...

Anyway, that's my 2 cents...thanks for asking

jb:asian:

Latest Discussions