Boil your meatballs and DON'T ARGUE

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I recently contacted a friend with whom I attended culinary school, who recalled and subsequently poked friendly fun at my meatballs.

I'm telling you man... Make your meatballs with a blend of turkey and beef, LOTS of pepper, herbs and cracker crumbs and parseley, and BOIL those suckers. Tender, delicious, perfect. You spagetti and meatballs will make Italian women cry.

I hereby ordain all meatballs you make from here on shall be boiled!! Oh and tell me what you think when you make them. I was actually inspired to have meatballs tonight and I'm telling you man.. Yum x3.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As a cook, I can make my own but right now I'd just as soon cheat and buy the italian-style meatballs from Costco (Kirkland product)... they're very good and all pre-made thus... no work. Call me lazy but my spagetti sauce takes enough time to make as it is.

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
As a cook, I can make my own but right now I'd just as soon cheat and buy the italian-style meatballs from Costco (Kirkland product)... they're very good and all pre-made thus...

:xtrmshock:

lenatoi

Green Belt
Reaction score
do you bake or fry them after you boil them?

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
lenatoi said:
do you bake or fry them after you boil them?

That defeats the purpose. I utilize herbs and spices, worchestershire, soy, and a blend of lean and fatty meats, and then simmer (boil) them for a very tender and robust meatball, with significantly less fat. Frying would then add fat, and baking would remove the moisture. There is a lot to be said about carmelizing the meat with a good blast under the broiler but that's not what I'm really going for, and I believe my technique leaves little to be desired.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will be trying that next weekend. I've never been to culinary school and have had to figure most things out in the kitchen through trial and error. Last night I fixed dinner for Erica and I. The menu was Tequila lime chicken with cilantro dipping sauce on the side, potatoes lyonnaise and for desert...chocolate mousse. Everything actually came out well and the mousse was outstanding. I use the food network website like crazy on the weekends for recipes. Last weekend it was strip steak in a pepper cream sauce, garlilc and herb mashed potatoes and new york style chocolate cheese cake. Being in the kitchen on the weekends with me has inspired my middle daughter to want to attend culinary school. Any suggestions for what to look for in a school for her? We're in Roanoke, Va and she'd rather not move too far away.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
That defeats the purpose. I utilize herbs and spices, worchestershire, soy, and a blend of lean and fatty meats, and then simmer (boil) them for a very tender and robust meatball, with significantly less fat. Frying would then add fat, and baking would remove the moisture. There is a lot to be said about carmelizing the meat with a good blast under the broiler but that's not what I'm really going for, and I believe my technique leaves little to be desired.

That sounds sooooo good. You are the designated cook when you come to visit right? :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
An Old Italian restaurant owner in my area says the same thing. As does every other Italian cook I have ever known.

And you are right it makes a big difference

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
I recently contacted a friend with whom I attended culinary school, who recalled and subsequently poked friendly fun at my meatballs.

I'm telling you man... Make your meatballs with a blend of turkey and beef, LOTS of pepper, herbs and cracker crumbs and parseley, and BOIL those suckers. Tender, delicious, perfect. You spagetti and meatballs will make Italian women cry.

I hereby ordain all meatballs you make from here on shall be boiled!! Oh and tell me what you think when you make them. I was actually inspired to have meatballs tonight and I'm telling you man.. Yum x3.
why would u wanna make italian women cry?
that's mean. bad idea
jk

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd nix the turkey and use a blend of pork and veal along with the beef.

Jeff

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree, a lot of Italian recipes call for the meatballs to be simmered(boiled) in the sauce. I have a recipe where you roll the meatballs in uncooked rice before you put them in the simmering sauce.

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
theletch1 said:
has inspired my middle daughter to want to attend culinary school. Any suggestions for what to look for in a school for her?

Yeah.. Don't bother. Culinary school is such a heaping waste of money! I mean, she could always get a cook job and then try and find a good cook job in a reputable restaurant but culinary school is best suited for people who want to get a restaurant management degree. I'm a strong believer that in the culinary arts industry, work first get the degree later. This way you have a chance to get burned out before you spend the money on the degree.

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
I'd nix the turkey and use a blend of pork and veal along with the beef.

Jeff

Sounds rather good.. Wouldn't the flavor of veal get lost in the beef&pork flavors?

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
theletch1 said:
I will be trying that next weekend. .

I just taught my mom the boiling thing and she was tickled.. Did you give it a shot yet?

I'm totally going to try the rice thing someone else mentioned.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
K, so, how deep is the water - are these things submerged, or is it more like just an inch or 2 of water? Also, do you boil them just in the water, or do you boil them in the soy/worchestershire mix?

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
K, so, how deep is the water - are these things submerged, or is it more like just an inch or 2 of water? Also, do you boil them just in the water, or do you boil them in the soy/worchestershire mix?

Just water, completely submerged. It only takes a few minutes to finish the job. Couple oz of soy or worchestershire in the meat but not a ton.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is totally worth the necropost factor.

I didn't argue ... I boiled my first attempt at meatballs. AND THEY WERE GREAT!!!!!

Do it.

Don't argue.