Body Type and MA's

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ive always heard that bigger, stockier people are better suited for certain japanese styles like aikido, jui jitsu, judo or wrestling styles. Smaller frames work better for offensive styles like Korean where there are more kicks and speedy moves.

Im a big guy but I prefer chinese styles like wushu and wing chun. Id also like to learn judo and aikido.
Not true from an aikido stand point. Steven Segal is a freak of nature in the aikido world because he is such a large man. The redirection of energy in aikido instead of frontal hard blocks makes it a great art for smaller people. There are certain techniques in aikido that will work better for smaller folks and techs that will work better for taller/larger folks. This is the one time in my life where I can hear the phrase "Size doesn't matter" and actually believe it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not true from an aikido stand point. Steven Segal is a freak of nature in the aikido world because he is such a large man. The redirection of energy in aikido instead of frontal hard blocks makes it a great art for smaller people. There are certain techniques in aikido that will work better for smaller folks and techs that will work better for taller/larger folks. This is the one time in my life where I can hear the phrase "Size doesn't matter" and actually believe it.

Agreed

My jujitsu teacher was in good shape, but not stocky and about 5'8" tall and damn good.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, let me throw in a couple of 'what ifs'. What if I'm 30+ pounds overweight, thus the 'wrong' body type for some particular art, but lose the fat after sticking with it and doing the art for 6 months. Now I'm the 'right' body type. :)

Or, what if my height/weight (and even BMI) dimensions are perfect for, say, boxing, I even have an extra long reach for the weight category, a chin of granite, but my reflexes are just plain slow? Should I throw in the towel, or train anyway and hope someday I can see that guy's right cross coming? :uhyeah:

And what about joints? We're not all 20, OK? Or 30, or... well, whatever. The arts I might have had the body type for at 20, or at 30, my knees couldn't take at 40 when I (and others, I suspect) started Asian MA. So while I had the perfect body type (I felt) for an art I loved, hapkido, my knees disagreed--for four years, until my Dr. said Enough! :shock:

I could go on, but you get my point. Maybe we can't determine if we have the right body type until we've done an art for awhile? At least given it a chance for 90 days or...? I don't really know.

What I do feel certain of, though, is that no one should tell another what they can't do--we all have way too much of that in life already. :cool:

snapmule

White Belt
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying, kid. Im 270 lbs and in my early 40's. It's too bad about your knees but that's how the body goes. I had a lot of joint problems when I was heavier and though Im in less pain these day, I still rely on Aleve or Motrin. But alot the other situations can be remedied to a point.

You can lose the weight. Even a 10 lbs weight loss can make a big difference in mobility. I started boxing to lose weight as much as for sport and self defense. I used to weigh alot more (300 +). Im actually on the way down in weight. My goal is to get back tdown to 210-220. My body type is stocky like a linebacker. Even at my heaviest, everyone thought I was about 250 because instead of girth around my gut, I had wide shoulders. Im built like a wall. It's kind of a disadvantage because Im like a big target.

Reflexes can be improved but some people have naturally fast reflexes and others don't. I was able to improve mine through lots of practice. And again losing the excess weight helped because in the past, my arms were so heavy, I couldnt take advantage of my reflexes. I was constantly trying to move my head and shift my body defensively instead of using my arms and hands.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The most important part is NOT the body type? ..the bodies MIND!

Yes certain bodies do perform better in certain martial arts....but if a person is determine to learn and MAKE the best of what they can do...than they will learn and do what they are able too! (Most of us are not extreme flexable.)

On the streets...fighting back is 90% mental...with a determine body!

Most fighters use on the basic and simple techniques in a street fight. Smarter fighters (the mind).....then to win more often.

Anyone can learn any art...not everyone will be able to do everything or moves or techniques with ease.....But they will still be able to do some that will work for them.....on the street you will have no choice of Body/bodies that attack you... ( aaaaa you not my body type..so I NO like fight you?)

The BIGGEST problem most of have is fighting our own bodies, Too much fat, no like flex, hates excerises, loves sleeping,gets dirtly and smelly and have to wash everyday, NO can exchange,

Except what you have! Make the most of it! You will only get one BODY per person.

PS: I was thinking of putting my BODY on sale or exhange for a newer one? Let's make a DEAL? descrition( use, on the older side,heavy,does wash well, eats alot, moves on the slow side, loves going fishing, and has just the right amount of colors.) Good working condition! .....Aloha

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, let's hear from a short fat guy (I am 5'7" 240lbs.).

When I started Aikido I used to blame my fat for everything I couldn't do. Rolls? Of course look at my belly. Longer slide steps? Of course I got short legs! Difficult in doing a technique? Yea sure look at my height and short arms!
Now I've overcome that feeling and started realizing that it was all in my mind. Tendins through training can stretch and become more elastic. Speed? With practice you can reach a good one.

But it is true, a fat short guy like me has to adjust his training. So for example a movement in Aikido where you turn on the side to let a punch pass by you needs to be adjusted with a little bit more of pivoting towards the said coz I have to put into account my belly, more inches to take away from the target. Or in other cases the technique must be carried out very well to overcome the height problem. For example in a technique like Iriminage (this video will make what I talk about clear for who doesn't know it
)a person who is tall can have immediately a good control at the neck, just like in the video, while when I face taller people it is important for me to carry out the technique well with the other hand and do a correct cut. Leading the opponent well with the other hand will help me to have him in the right position to perfect the hold on the neck. While if the cut is not done right I have to reach high with my hand bending the wrist too much.
But the same is for tall people. I mention another example, always from the Art I practice coz this is what I know. There is a technique which is called Shihonage which is great for shrter people, but taller people (or better, Tall Vs Short) need to adjust to the technique. Even here I got a video and I used on purpose someone tall Vs short (
). The tall guy needs to step under the arm of the opponent without overstretching the opponent arm or the effect of the technique would be gone, easy to understand that for a shorter guy like me that movement is easier.

So the body type matters up to a certain point. If your mind does not create the problem, the problem does not exist. Of course with the help of your teacher you will have to adjust the way you do the techniques to your body type...and it won't be a random adjustment, because MA usually take into account different body size practitioners.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am not sure all of the following links will work here, but they worked for me. Theses are pictures and in on case a drawing of some famous Chinese martial artists some maybe not so famous but they are all considered very good. Some are form the same styles, you tell me if body type matters. Frankly I have no doubt any of them could kick my butt.

I personally do not think it does, spirit does but that is all. Look at any style and look at various masters of those styles and generally you are going to see a difference in body type. But per old Chinese MA thinking there are certain styles that are better suited for certain body types but that goes not mean that you need be a specific body type in order to master any style. If you have a strong martial spirit you can and will master or become good at ANY style you practice... But you MUST Practice.

Yang Chengfu
http://www.ukctaichi.f2s.com/ycfbrush.gif

Tung Ying Chieh
http://www.chipellis.com/Pictures/c...ed_book_tung_ying_chieh_single_whip_small.jpg

Chen Fake
http://www.chipellis.com/Pictures/c...ed_book_tung_ying_chieh_single_whip_small.jpg

Wu Family - not sure which member though
http://www.wu-cov.com/images/wjc_punch.jpg

Sun Lutang
http://www.taichichuan.fi/images/SunLutang1861-1932.jpg

Dong Haichuan - Bagua
http://www.zeigua.com/images/TungHaiChuan.jpg

Yin fu - Bagua
http://www.whitemountain-tao.com/images/yinfu.jpg

Di Guoyong - Xingyi
http://wongkk.com/images-3/answers/ans06b/xingyi02.jpg

EDIT

Yang Panhou
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6f/Yang_Pan-hou.jpg/175px-Yang_Pan-hou.jpg

Yang Shou Hou
http://www.taijiquan.info/img/yang4.JPG

Yang Chengfu
http://www.plumblossom.net/PastMasters/YangChenFu.jpg

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well in my competitive prime in judo and greco I weighed 148, had 4% bodyfat and did a ton of the following: Chins, chins, chins......deadlifts, weighted dips, squats as well as bench. By the way I am only 5'6 and was able to pull a 505 lb deadlift in only a wrestling singlet w/belt.

I was considering a comeback of sorts on the local level in judo back in 01. I was the asst. manager at a gym and had all the availability to protein and aminos, I got up to 195 with 10% bodyfat. I had no trouble winning a meet that I had entered. (Short, strong, built like fire plug = good judo player.)

Now, anyone can practice the MA's in any art they choose. Really there is no optimal body type. It is how you adapt to the style and your schools cirriculum.

That is just my .02

OP
I

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
All good stuff so I suppose body type and art are more of a daunting to the begginer vs not so daunting.

See people like you think you can do it don't see people like you and wonder.

Intersting :)

--Infy

Kevdak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So you guys are saying that a 5'5 300+lbs person could excel in Taekwondo easier than a 6'5 180+ person? I understand that it's mental over physical, but I just can't see the 5'5 person doing axe kicks and kicks to the head with ease over the 6'5 person who has less weight and is more fit. I myself am looking for a MA. I'm 6'3 around 275lbs and a little plump, and from what i've seen big guys don't look like the type for TKD. Just my two pennies. By all means please respond with any comments or info you have about this comment.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

So you guys are saying that a 5'5 300+lbs person could excel in Taekwondo easier than a 6'5 180+ person? I understand that it's mental over physical, but I just can't see the 5'5 person doing axe kicks and kicks to the head with ease over the 6'5 person who has less weight and is more fit. I myself am looking for a MA. I'm 6'3 around 275lbs and a little plump, and from what i've seen big guys don't look like the type for TKD. Just my two pennies. By all means please respond with any comments or info you have about this comment.

My instructor is 6'3", and he was an internationally ranked fighter, breaker, and patterns competitor for over a decade... and even now he's still pretty scary to face in a ring.

Latest Discussions