Body method

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Post#6 the whole punching sequence. It’s just my opinion it means nothing.
What do you think about this training?

Gong-Li-punch-2.gif

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My opinion is that his stance is too wide and he swings his torso too far from one side to another. Better to keep the torso centered and rotate like a pole is going down his spine and into the ground.
Agree that his horse stance is too wide to start with. His training does not include

horse stance -> bow-arrow stance

shiting training.

horse_stance_to_bow_arrow_stance.jpg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agree that his horse stance is too wide to start with. His training does not include

horse stance -> bow-arrow stance

shiting training.

View attachment 28601
When he pivots to bow and arrow, he drags his rear foot into the pivot. This is because the stance is so wide. The power bleeds away.

Better if he can push with the back foot to pivot into the bow and arrow. Then he gets power from his feet.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When he pivots to bow and arrow, he drags his rear foot into the pivot. This is because the stance is so wide. The power bleeds away.

Better if he can push with the back foot to pivot into the bow and arrow. Then he gets power from his feet.
IMO, there are 2 different ways to shift from horse stance (narrow stance) into bow-arrow stance (wide stance).

Conservative way:

You twist your back foot on your ball, and twist your front foot on your heel to wide your stance.

Aggressive way:

You twist your back foot on your heel, step in your leading foot to coordinate with your punch and wide your stance. This will create a big dropping sound since you punch and land your foot at the same time.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When he pivots to bow and arrow, ...
These kind of online MA discussion may turn all of us into keyboard worriors.

I need to get out of my house and pick up some street fights now. I will let you know later how many bad guys that I may knock down today with my punch.

Hoorah! It's my street fight time now. :)

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMO, there are 2 different ways to shift from horse stance (narrow stance) into bow-arrow stance (wide stance).

Conservative way:

You twist your back foot on your ball, and twist your front foot on your heel to wide your stance.

Aggressive way:

You twist your back foot on your heel, step in your leading foot to coordinate with your punch and wide your stance. This will create a big dropping sound since you punch and land your foot at the same time.
We do it a bit differently. Keep both feet flat on the ground. Push with the rear foot to drive the pivot, pivot at the center of the foot. Keep the foot down on the ground the entire time. Do not lift the heel during the pivot. Do the same with the front foot. Actively make it turn, both feet grind on the floor.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What do you think about this training?

Gong-Li-punch-2.gif
I train a similar punch but it's done differently. When I think of the punch that I train, it appears that he's shifting into the power side.. The first hands clears / grabs the attacking or guarding arm, followed up a punch that would land in the opening.

But with that said it's difficult to say because the application of the movement isn't clear from this clip. The best that I can do is say that "I do something similar in movement." But the application of it may be totally different.

What I train uses this movement to get off the center line.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I forget to ask you, did you ever use Chinese medicine to wash your hands after your iron palm training?
No, I had plenty of experience of those chinese medicine rubs before, I don't buy it.

Be that as it may, even if you say I got my carpal tunnel because I didn't use that, still, that has NOTHING to do with it did NOT increase any of my striking power. IT IS A FRAUD.

If I really can strike harder like people played up about Iron palm, I would not complain if I got the carpal tunnel. I complain because it did NOT WORK.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I really can strike harder like people played up about Iron palm, I would not complain if I got the carpal tunnel. I complain because it did NOT WORK.
If you want to strike hard then you have to learn how to put the weight of your body behind the punch, it's the only way to achieve what you are searching for. There are other ways to hit hard, but if you want to maximize the punching power then you have to get the weight of your body behind the punch.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Wait that was supposed to be a horse to bow? Then it was awful. I couldn’t identify that as such. Sorry. My elitist pig is about to rear it’s ugly head.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I train a similar punch but it's done differently. When I think of the punch that I train, it appears that he's shifting into the power side.. The first hands clears / grabs the attacking or guarding arm, followed up a punch that would land in the opening.

But with that said it's difficult to say because the application of the movement isn't clear from this clip. The best that I can do is say that "I do something similar in movement." But the application of it may be totally different.

What I train uses this movement to get off the center line.
I saw your punch and it doesn’t look like the mess in that video.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you want to strike hard then you have to learn how to put the weight of your body behind the punch, it's the only way to achieve what you are searching for. There are other ways to hit hard, but if you want to maximize the punching power then you have to get the weight of your body behind the punch.
I am talking about the iron palm. When I slap on the bag, it's not any harder than if I never practice. I would have improved a lot if I spent the same amount of time just hitting the bag, not kept slapping down on the ball bearings.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am talking about the iron palm. When I slap on the bag, it's not any harder than if I never practice. I would have improved a lot if I spent the same amount of time just hitting the bag, not kept slapping down on the ball bearings.
My Sigung said iron palm will keep you from touching a woman with that hand.

Latest Discussions