board breaking

Dao

Green Belt
Reaction score
there is one school where you have to break a board while a person holds the board with only two fingers. The theory is that you have to kick the board fast and with a snap. If you use pure strength it will fly off but with a snap it suppose to break. This is the only school required this in all the schools I have been to.
I like to know if any other schools also require this especially for black belt test.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes the speed break is require for all the BB at my school, it shows proper speed vs. power in a break.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't require speed breaks, but usually around 2nd gup, and especially at black, students start playing around with them. You can throw a board up in the air and break it too...

G

Grunthos the Flatulent

Why would you beat on a board? I've never been attacked by one. Wouldn't hitting someone be better?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why would you beat on a board? I've never been attacked by one. Wouldn't hitting someone be better?

If you're not trolling, the simple answer is because breaking is a practice tool, just as sparring is or training with a heavy bag is. Combination breaking is an excellent way to test your speed, precision, and focus. Ditto with speed breaks, but I'm less than enamored with them.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you're not trolling, the simple answer is because breaking is a practice tool, just as sparring is or training with a heavy bag is. Combination breaking is an excellent way to test your speed, precision, and focus. Ditto with speed breaks, but I'm less than enamored with them.

What do you mean you are "less than enamored with them"? You don't think it is an effective training tool? Or do you like power breaking better? or.... just curious:asian:

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do you mean you are "less than enamored with them"? You don't think it is an effective training tool? Or do you like power breaking better? or.... just curious:asian:

Just my opinion, but it's a mere parlor trick since speed breaking invariably only uses 1 board. Anyone can do it if they strike at the right angle (it just takes some confidence which I realize beginners won't have and they generally intimidate themselves out of it). If you want to demonstrate skill with a whippy technique, I'd rather practice using a 'light' & quick technique like a leading hand shuto or a back fist against multiple boards. That seems to be more relevant in real life usage.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but it's a mere parlor trick since speed breaking invariably only uses 1 board. Anyone can do it if they strike at the right angle (it just takes some confidence which I realize beginners won't have and they generally intimidate themselves out of it). If you want to demonstrate skill with a whippy technique, I'd rather practice using a 'light' & quick technique like a leading hand shuto or a back fist against multiple boards. That seems to be more relevant in real life usage.

That makes sense.
My instructor stands 5-7 boards upright on a table with no support and does a horizontal knife hand strike through them all. I am not familiar with "shuto" but I do think a multiple board backfist speed break would be cool... I'll have to try it out
icon10.gif

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A shuto is a knifehand strike. Karate name for it... full name is shuto uchi. Korean equivalent is something like sonnal chigi.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Best I've done with a speed break is to break two at once with a inside chop. I knew one man who could speed break two boards with just the three middle fingers together (and no, I never tried it, but I bet if you fail it smarts alot.)

I find speed breaks tell you more than power breaks. You have to hit with very good accuracy and the technique has to be correct and quite fast. And with two or more boards, very fast. But without the right technique you will just slap the board or push it over.

I used to do demonstartions doing spinning heal kicks while the board holder held them with two fingers downward. If you do this, make sure there is plenty of room for the board to fly after being hit.

I also find the speed break alot safer for the board holder! I hate holding boards. I consider it the most dangerious thing you can do in the martial arts except full contact.

Deaf

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Best I've done with a speed break is to break two at once with a inside chop. I knew one man who could speed break two boards with just the three middle fingers together (and no, I never tried it, but I bet if you fail it smarts alot.)

I find speed breaks tell you more than power breaks. You have to hit with very good accuracy and the technique has to be correct and quite fast. And with two or more boards, very fast. But without the right technique you will just slap the board or push it over.

I used to do demonstartions doing spinning heal kicks while the board holder held them with two fingers downward. If you do this, make sure there is plenty of room for the board to fly after being hit.

I also find the speed break alot safer for the board holder! I hate holding boards. I consider it the most dangerious thing you can do in the martial arts except full contact.

Deaf

we tell everyone who holds boards "expect to get hit everytime" at least then when it happens it isn't a shock.
icon12.gif

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
I knew one man who could speed break two boards with just the three middle fingers together (and no, I never tried it, but I bet if you fail it smarts alot.)
I saw a video once of someone breaking two boards like this. At first, I thought, "This is cool! I'd like to try that!"

Then they showed the slow-motion replay. They showed just how his fingers bent before the board broke.

:jaw-dropping:

I think I'll wait on that one, thanks... :)

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't remember ever being attacked by a heavy bag or focus mitts either. Guess they're useless training tools.

I was hit in the head with a brick once though. I shall fight those with all my might!

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My daughter's 2nd poom test included a speed break where a board was dropped by someone standing on a chair. She had to hit the board as it was falling with enough energy to break it. It was a display of speed, timing and power. She was successful on her 3rd attempt.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
We require speed breaks at my school...with various techniques. Best I did was a middle punch through two free standing boards followed by a sidekick to my right through 2 boards (held).

That was definitely about speed and focus, bery easy to send both boards sailing into space unbroken without good technique.

Peace,
Erik

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Would hitting a bag help with power breaks? Wouldn't the resistance from the bag help you develop power? You wouldn't prepare for a power break by practicing against the air, right?

I know it is off topic. Sorry.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would hitting a bag help with power breaks? Wouldn't the resistance from the bag help you develop power? You wouldn't prepare for a power break by practicing against the air, right?

I know it is off topic. Sorry.
Bag work will help you learn to generate power, and learn to support the power you generate in your stance, body, and structure.

But, really, the only way to get good at breaking is to break. Which is why I don't do it much; it's expensive!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Paraphrasing Ed Parker. Sounds nice, but Parker had his students do breaking too. And if it is a good school, breaking will be in addition to practice with a resisting partner, not in substitution of it.

Board breaks are sometimes called tameshigiri. Tameshigiri is meant to test the correctness of the technique and quality of the weapon being used, be it your hands, feet, or a sword. Breaking reveals details of one's technique.

And yes, breaking is a crowd pleaser at demonstrations.:)

Daniel

Latest Discussions