Board Breaking......what is it good for?

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just wondering: I've been to schools that required the breaking of boards and or bricks with kicks and/or punches.
What does this accomplish or show??
I can train a person to be able to break boards, impressively, in an afternoon...
what does it show? What cultivation does it show? Many require such breaks for promotions to new rank.....

WHY???
What is the rationale, what makes this feat speacial or beneficial??

Thanks

Your Brother
John

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I for one think it helps people to mentally break through a barrier.
I also think it helps perfect technique.

thats a short answer.

OP
Brother John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
#1: Maybe.... but there's lOTS of ways to help people break through bariers and gain faith in their abilities and in themselves....Many of which are a great deal more useful than breaking.

#2: I don't see it.
What about breaking "Perfects" technique???

Your Brother
John

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it depends on what you're breaking.
If you're breaking 1 inch pine boards, it doesnt take a whole lot of technique or power.
If you're breaking cinder blocks, or 3 patio slabs lying on top of each other, it takes a different mindset, skill, and power.
I've seen plenty of people break pine boards, and then have a cement block thrown down in front of them and they lose their nerve.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brother John said:
Just wondering: I've been to schools that required the breaking of boards and or bricks with kicks and/or punches.
What does this accomplish or show??
I can train a person to be able to break boards, impressively, in an afternoon...
what does it show? What cultivation does it show? Many require such breaks for promotions to new rank.....

WHY???

Thanks

Your Brother
John

Brother John,

I think Breaking shows the person that what they have can damage objects. So be aware of what you already know. Realize that if you can break a board you can break a table of a wall, and if done right a person. To me that is the reason for breaking.

But from what I have seen and heard and talked to people it is about confidence to show they can "Do Something" of consequence without necessarily hurting their partner.

Personally, I do not like it, but have demo'd a board or two before. If done I would think a one to two inch motion to the object to demonstrate power from a short distance would be good. But now we are getting into personal philosphy.

:asian:

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brother John said:
#1: Maybe.... but there's lOTS of ways to help people break through bariers and gain faith in their abilities and in themselves....Many of which are a great deal more useful than breaking.

I'm sure there are other ways and because this is your opinion, which though I may not entirely agree with, I do respect. Can you offer some examples of what you consider more effective and why they're more effective? Yes, there are other means of accomplishing the same goal, but there are few topics you could bring up that there's only one way to accomplish it, and what's the BEST way is determined by personal experience and results. If there was only one BEST way to execute any kick or strike, why do we have so many different techniques in our styles? I've seen the results of what breaking can accomplish. I've most definately seen it in myself. You may not agree with it, but you'll never convince me otherwise because my own experience has proven it. If your experiences have taught you something different, then I'm good with that.

Brother John said:

Just to give an example here, I had to do a flat break. My fingers touching the board and breaking it without drawing my hand back at all. Fairly difficult in itself, but I was also required to catch the board. In other words, I had to execute the break with just enough power to get the job done. Nothing more, nothing less. That requires a very good idea of how to gauge my own power, speed and accuracy.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:

Your Brother
John

#1, There is always "more than one way to skin a cat" just like there is more than one effective method Kenpo around as is often touted on the boards such as the "innovative, designed to work method based on speed-simplicity-surprise" :). Don't down the usefulness of board breaking unless you fully understand it. Many kenpoists do not and judging from the question and followup responses it isn't something you have readily experienced either.

2) What about breaking perfects technique. Let's see it takes proper 1) Power generation 2) Speed development, 3) Momentum shift, 4) Alignment, 5) Targeting, 6) Weapon formation, 7) Penetration, 8) Weapon retraction, 9) etc. to complete a successful break of any material worth breaking. If any of these fails the break fails and the person risks injury. If I can break three cinder blocks without spacers how hard is it to break one rib when I hit it? You stated you can teach someone to break "impressively" in an afternoon. You show me how you teach someone with no experience to effectively break 2 or more cinder blocks with a single blow in one afternoon and I'll be a convert for life.

Have you ever done a speed break? This is where you break an object that is either A) lightly supported, B) dropped in the air or C) thrown in the air? Do you know how much accuracy, precision, power, speed, structure it takes to do that? I did that in TKD and Kung-Fu for years and many of the best Kenpoists I've met cannot duplicate it despite having "impressive" speed and power. Makes ya wonder what that breaking might be useful for after all....

Food for thought.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
It proves you are willing to hit something that is stronger/more solid than you.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The purpose of breaking is to demonstrate that you can correctly apply a technique to a solid, supported, non-moving target; from there you progress through more difficult targets - more boards/tiles/bricks, less support, more movement, etc. Sure, you could practice this on people - but do you really want to break your sparring partners? Breaking is a demonstration of the correct application of technique - nothing more or less. Are there other ways to demonstrate that application? Certainly - and like breaking, they have their own pros and cons. Some styles break, others don't; some arts make breaking optional, or keep it for demonstrations, etc. Ultimately, it has the same goal as any other activity (sparring, patterns, line drills, etc.) - to help the student improve his/her abilities, and demonstrate that improvement to others.

Speaking for myself, I find that breaking has an incredible impact on the self-confidence of the student, because it is the first thing a student is asked to do that is a visible demonstration of their skills - and more, it is understood by non-MAists. Belt colors vary, time in class and at rank varies, and so on - but to non-MAists, breaking is a visible sign of ability, regardless of whether it is done in class, testing, individual practice, etc, and to new MAists, it is proof of ability, which they can use to build further skills with. There are many ways to build this proof - this is just one. Break, or don't, as your style, instructor, and personal beliefs dictate.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
Evidence of power, and it's fun.

I agree with Senor Frog:uhyeah: on this one. But my 1st thought after reading the title, "What is it good for?" was "Absolutely nothing" To quote an old song.

Sorry, its been a long day:asian:

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depending on the type of break, it teaches you that you are making impact properly. I had a past student break his hand in a bar fight (his first time using self-defense). The first thing he said to me was, "Man, it hurts to hit someone's face!" He had a "boxer's break" (the last knuckle). Granted, push ups on one's knunckles can help identify the proper point of impact, but I think boards do the best job.

Just my opinion.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My brother John I was always told it is a starting point to be able to hit at an impact that will cause damage.
Terry

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I agree with Senor Frog:uhyeah: on this one. But my 1st thought after reading the title, "What is it good for?" was "Absolutely nothing" To quote an old song.

Sorry, its been a long day:asian:

Great, now I'll be humming that all day........:whip:

OP
Brother John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
....VERY good responses so far!!! I'm impressed.

I don't have a lot of time right now, but I just thought I'd answer what a few have questioned.

I am a Kenpoist, but I was first, for 5+ years, a Tae Kwan Do-ist. I had a great time in Tae Kwan Do and look on those years with nostalgia. (which is why I like to Lurk in the TKD area and sometimes post/reply) In TKD I was required to break boards, and I got pretty good at it. I agree, it can be very fun.

PLEASE: Keep the discussion going. Though I've not done a 180 on the issue, several of you have really made me think further about it.
Still: I don't see that it's SO useful, but like I said....the discussion IS interesting.

Your Brother
John

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks!

Let's see if I can add some interesting thoughts to the discussion.
Brother John said:
Just wondering: I've been to schools that required the breaking of boards....What does this accomplish or show??
I am a huge proponent of board breaking, and here is why.

1. It is a challenge, and with any challenge, it requires some skill, extensive practice, and a feeling of accomplishment/confidence when successful. Some students have a talent for breaking right from the beginning - - others do not. First, I must determine which are which, then bring those lacking the skill/confidence up to speed with those who can break with ease.

2. While a person can get away with sloppy breaks on one or two boards, it requires proper technique to break three, four, five or more boards. Thus, it hones skills, and promotes proper execution for power, focus, and accuracy.

3. It goes beyond the physical skill, and tests the student's ability to perform under pressure, or with distractions. Notice how beginner students generally take a while to prepare for a simple break, and often miss a try or two. When crowds are being noisy, and the pressure to pass a test, or win a competition is on, people often "choke." Getting over that, shows performance under pressure, which is good for street defense. I train black belts to break multiple stations as quickly as possible, with no preparation.

4. The impact on a board (or similar breaking material) relates to the power required to damage the human body. One to two boards equate smaller bones (IE: wrist or elbow joints, ribs, ulna & radius of the forearm), while three or four boards is comparable to larger bones (IE: Humerus, femur, etc.). If you can successfully break five or six boards, you can break ANY bone, in ANY human body, regardless of their muscle development.

Brother John said:
what does it show? What cultivation does it show?

I have also taught brand new students how to break one board, just to show it can be done by a beginner. I have adult low rank students who can stomp through two or three (rebreakable) boards with ease. However, they are not successful with four, five, or six. Then, I put the boards in a standing board holder, and they find one board with a side kick to the rib level to be difficult - two or three boards at that height are out of the question. A first-time lesson in board breaking produces remedial results (one or two boards with sloppy technique). I tell the student they need to improve their focus, breathing, muscle control, stance, balance, acceleration, use of reaction force, etc. etc., or they will not be able to break more than two boards.

Board breaking connects the rudimentary technique with physical force required to properly, successfully damage a target. Imagine rolling a bowling ball down a lane with no pins at the end. The ball might pass over the center arrow, and you might think you would have gotten a strike, but put up the pins, and you might find that your technique does not produce the results you thought it would. Even with pins, a strike achieved improperly is a fluke, and will not be a desirable technique for a high scoring game. Likewise, swing a bat without hitting a ball - - are you sure it will be a home run? Swing a golf club without hitting a ball - - will it make it from tee to green for a hole-in-one, or will it slice into the trees?

I know that I can pick up my leg (front leg, back leg, spin kick, jump kick), and snap an opponent's knee, break the femur, or destroy the entire rib cage with ease, because I have practiced the required muscle contraction, bone alignment, speed, accuracy, etc., required to accomplish the task many times. I also know that my punches, knife-hands, ridge-hands, elbow strikes, etc., are powerful enough to break bones, and drop an opponent. Board breaking is the practice that corrects the errors in thinking that your technique will damage a target.

Brother John said:
Many require such breaks for promotions to new rank.....
WHY???

Ever notice how students testing often miss their board break. It is a test. A test of their ability to break (I have seen some high ranks who simply could not break through two or three boards at a test). It tests their mental focus to perform under pressure with distractions. It shows the audience what power exists in these "flashy" techniques, and there is that "awesome" feeling after the test when a student says "I broke my boards!!!" :D

We usually give the students their broken board to take home, and I have seen them cling to those boards like they were more valuable than any trophy from any tournament. What does board breaking accomplish? It tests and promotes proper skill, instills pride, confidence, and provides a visual demonstration to fellow Martial Artists, and non-Martial Artists. Oh, and like others have said........ It's FUN! :boing1:

CM D.J. Eisenhart

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
Hi folks!

Let's see if I can add some interesting thoughts to the discussion.

CM D.J. Eisenhart

Man, good post!

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
4. The impact on a board (or similar breaking material) relates to the power required to damage the human body. One to two boards equate smaller bones (IE: wrist or elbow joints, ribs, ulna & radius of the forearm), while three or four boards is comparable to larger bones (IE: Humerus, femur, etc.). If you can successfully break five or six boards, you can break ANY bone, in ANY human body, regardless of their muscle development.

I've often heard people equate breaking things as being equivalent to certain body parts.
I don't think this is entirely true.
The body has tremendous forces applied to it day in and day out.......and that might be just your usual saturday.

The human body, on one hand is quite resilient and can withstand great forces and impacts, such as a vicious side kick to the thigh. the impact is spread over a wide area of skin, connective tissue, muscle and bone.
Breaking boards or bricks will have you concentrating your strike on a hard brittle surface, but it will force you to follow through to be successful.

On the other side of the coin, taking an odd step that throws your foot off kilter could cause even the most well muscled or fit person to break an ankle.

It's possible to break a bone by punching or kicking it........but it's probably a lot easier to smash your fist through 3 or 4 bricks.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
As I was given to understand it, the tradition of breaking boards/bricks/tiles or what have you dated back to the old days of Okinawan Karate back in the way-back-when.The way I heard the story go was that this was done to condition their body parts so that they could make their unarmed strikes work against samurai who at the time would be wearing bamboo and hardened leather armor. Naturally, wearing it would slightly slow their movements as opposed to not wearing it, and so the karateka of the time had that extra half second or so to concentrate on slamming that one big bomb through.

Latest Discussions