Ridge hand

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you practice your ridgehand do you use it as a knock-out move or a redirect movement. I personally use it to the side of the head as a knock-out move, with the knuckle on the side of the hand from the thumb, driving into the opponet temble area, when delivering it comes from a reverse punchposition straight out and the a sharp90 degre turn into the side of the head.
I relize there are many ways to deliver it and this is just one way we do. Looking forward to everybody input.
Terry

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have used this in tournaments many times and scored a lot with it. Also, is a great move just sparring in the studio. Since I don't go to touranments anymore I'm trying to pass it along to the other students. Great technique. Mine comes from blocking the lead hand while moving in then striking the side of the head gear.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer to throw it while evading, but my target of choice is the side of the neck. When doing a combination as Jason mentioned, I prefer the palm strike.

Agrosch

White Belt
Reaction score
I use mine much like Jason does. I usualy throw it right after blocking a back fist or after throwing off thier gaurd to thier head. Personally I just sneek it in there, I don't come around all the way so the chances of it being blocked are lowered.
That's my refernce anyways.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agrosch said:
I don't come around all the way so the chances of it being blocked are lowered..
You need to learn how to block and check to get it in that way. Ask Mr. Tarr next time on how he previously taught the ridge hand.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
When you practice your ridgehand do you use it as a knock-out move or a redirect movement. I personally use it to the side of the head as a knock-out move, with the knuckle on the side of the hand from the thumb, driving into the opponet temble area, when delivering it comes from a reverse punchposition straight out and the a sharp90 degre turn into the side of the head.
I relize there are many ways to deliver it and this is just one way we do. Looking forward to everybody input.
Terry

from the way i learned it, you are using it correctly as a strike. glad to hear it. most people i see throw the ridgehand like a haymaker, hence, telegraphing the strike.

i like to use it as a strike to the groin as well. opponent steps in right throwing a straight right punch. you step in left with an inward parry w/ the left hand and fire a right RH to attackers groin. this has worked for me on 2 different occasions; one against a right punch, the other against a right handed shoulder shove. most attackers won't ever see it coming.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I mainly throw mine at the temple, but I also will use it as a redirect or even a stop hit depending on the situation. When I was a green belt, a 3rd dan knocked me around the floor at will with ridgehands during a sparring session. Disconcerting to block a hand strike and still get displaced a couple of feet. I've liked playing with various applications ever since.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry

We practice this technique as a "knock-out" shot, primarily to temple and ribs. Most of the time we work on it using a wavemaster, but punching mitts are also good for timing drill training.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "redirect" movement?

How about reverse ridgehand strikes? I had an instructor who loved to flank sparring opponents and then hit them with reverse ridgehand to the ribs? Makes my ribs sore just remembering this....

Happy New Year MT!

Miles

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I love the ridge hand :) My dojang doesn't employ this technique much (I wish they would). But it is my signiture breaking technique, because hardly any females break with it.

aplonis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Although not one of our 22 "official" basic techniques, we have the ridge hand present in some of the forms. I use it sometimes as part of a duo...following a backfist or middle block.

But my favorite use of the ridge hand is on the re-breakable boards. For that start from almost behind the back...like in the turn from the middle of the palgwe forms (after the spear hand)...or perpendicular to the floor. I can snap our heaviest re-breakables with either hand. Both of my instructors seem to approve. It was recommended I use that one in my BB test next fall.

I see all the various techniques as being designed for various 'apetures' of target opportunity. On hard targets I'd always go for palm heel whenever there were room enough, a fist when it is narrower, a knife- or ridge-hand when it is narrower yet. Either the ridge- or knife-hand can as easily be a hammer fist. And the ridge-hand can as easily be a palm-heel coming in sideways.

Gan Uesli Starling
http://wmtkd.us
Kalamazoo Chapter
Western Michigan Tae Kwon Do

Latest Discussions