Black Belt for cash?

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I tittled a post just the other day shinhans?????????
Very much the same thing, but while ever there is a need for greed there will always be corruption, its all about the almighty dollar,
cheers;.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
hmm i think ill stick with hard work and sweat to get my black belt...i would like it to actuly mean something to me

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This idea is nothing new and is about as old as the "black belt" itself. Even Funkoshi gave away black belt certificates to politicians and anyone else who was able to help him out. It was very fashionable for them to have it and giving them out helped him get things done.

It's not only black belt rankings that get sold, but titles as well: Shihan, Hanshi, etc. Even Menkyo Kaiden in older arts.

It's not just here in the U.S. but in Japan as well. You can no longer trust that ranks and titles were earned when it's so easy to buy them.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
JAMJTX said:
This idea is nothing new and is about as old as the "black belt" itself. Even Funkoshi gave away black belt certificates to politicians and anyone else who was able to help him out. It was very fashionable for them to have it and giving them out helped him get things done.

It's not only black belt rankings that get sold, but titles as well: Shihan, Hanshi, etc. Even Menkyo Kaiden in older arts.

It's not just here in the U.S. but in Japan as well. You can no longer trust that ranks and titles were earned when it's so easy to buy them.
I agree there is a Martial Artist in my area that went from a fifth degree bb to an 8th degree bb in under a year. This amazingly happened when he joined a new federation.

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What we should have if some kind of over all governing body. Martial Artists should have to take exams in front of a board panel and pass in order to get their certificate.

Example, if it is a test for your 1st degree in the art of Tae Kwon Do, then one representative from each TKD organization should be present for the examination.

If nurses, accountants, etc. have to take a board exams, than martial artist should too.

In this way, I believe it can also be well documented, and eliminate confusion as to who learned from who and what rank they got. etc...

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm in the process of working on getting my BB all weathered, tattered & torn to show the "number' of years in the Arts. I just bought a cheap BB....threw it in the washer, took it out and threw it on the ground and started stomping on it......then ran it over with my SUV, and threw it in the wash again :rolleyes:

Oh, and as an added item on the belt, I sewed on alot of them lil colorful bars on them too :2xBird2: :uhyeah:

H

Hawkeye

Riddle me this. Is it any different to...go to a school for three years and pay 100 per month - and never get better BUT still get promoted through the ranks including black belt.

Or ... be half-way descent and obtain your black belt however you obtain it?

I ask because if you are in the art for your black belt then you are probably in the arts for the wrong reason. You accomplishments should be reward for you. When I started decades ago several of the arts didn't even have colored belts. You were either a white belt or black belt. The belt signified to others in your art or dojo that you had been long-suffering and were now an "advanced" student.

I see folks go to martial arts schools who can't perform a simple side kick over 14" above the ground - and they have black belts. Is this any better.

You can either award belt advancement in your school or go broke. I understand this even though I don't own a school.

That's where the "intermediate" belts, or striped belts, came from. Mo money for the school owners. $25 here, $50 there x 200 students - you do the math.
I guess that makes attending a school and being promoted when you don't deserve it - based on demonstrated performance - black belt for cash. Same thing only one is quicker. Neither will ever win a tournament.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hawkeye said:
Riddle me this. Is it any different to...go to a school for three years and pay 100 per month - and never get better BUT still get promoted through the ranks including black belt.

Or ... be half-way descent and obtain your black belt however you obtain it?

I ask because if you are in the art for your black belt then you are probably in the arts for the wrong reason. You accomplishments should be reward for you. When I started decades ago several of the arts didn't even have colored belts. You were either a white belt or black belt. The belt signified to others in your art or dojo that you had been long-suffering and were now an "advanced" student.

I see folks go to martial arts schools who can't perform a simple side kick over 14" above the ground - and they have black belts. Is this any better.

You can either award belt advancement in your school or go broke. I understand this even though I don't own a school.

That's where the "intermediate" belts, or striped belts, came from. Mo money for the school owners. $25 here, $50 there x 200 students - you do the math.
I guess that makes attending a school and being promoted when you don't deserve it - based on demonstrated performance - black belt for cash. Same thing only one is quicker. Neither will ever win a tournament.
I guees that is why my school is not my primary source of income I do not need to cater to those folks. I train my three son's and if I was at a commercial school my cost would be the same. Between my wife, me and 3 kids my rent is cheaper for me to do my own training. And than I can help with the kids I want and not need to pay bills. I dictate my training and if you want a belt factory please go to the next Dojaang around the corner every montha belt test either a stripe od solid he is making money but the talent is none, could not fight there way out of a paper bag!!!!

A

altondragon

in march 2005 issue of BB magazine one can find and ad that reads : receive your blackbelt certifiction today when you order....(home study program)as i dont wish to bash any style or system i wont mention the name of the school..but i see this all the time..funny too it read:LAdies by your man the gift of a lifetime!...i chuckled when i read that.

Latest Discussions