Black Belt for cash?

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Have you guys ever heard of anyone getting their black belt for cash?

How often does this happen?

Can you picture an old Master in the twilight of his/her career decide to make as much money as they can before retirement.

Can this really happen?

Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There are plenty of dodgy organisations out there, just like there are plenty of dodgy schools. If they can do it with University degrees why not black belts. There are some sad people out there that feel the need to show the world how good they are, just as long as it doesn’t involve personal effort.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know of a person who is reputed to have placed a blank cheque on the counter in search of a higher Dan grading...

A

Aaron Little

Here is the story.

Many years ago there was a church in the town I was going to school in. I ran across a flyer on campus for a demo that was going to be held at the church as a kick of for their new Christian TKD program. As a martial arts junkie I did not want to miss a free demo so a friend and I went.

The special gust that was there to kick off the program and run the demo was the head of a large organization. After the demo I went to introduce myself and basically just say hello. Like I said, I was a junkie. They guy explained his goals for the church program to my friend and I and in the process asked if we trained. We both told him about our backgrounds. Neither of us had any experience with TKD at all. At this point, this TKD GM told us both that if we paid to join his org that night he would give us rank in TKD equal to our current rank. That would have meant for the price of joining his org I could have bought a 3rd Dan in TKD and my friend would have been a first. Needless to say his offer ended the conversation. I just said “no thanks” and we both walked away.

I had not thought of this in years.

I had a rather famous FMA instructor make the same offer to me about 6 years ago. I was a full instructor with one org and he offered to just grant me the same postion in his.

Some people will just do anything for $$$.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
pssst .... hey buddy c'mere .... I gotta Grand Masters belt and certificate here for ya... sell it to ya for a song. .... whatever art you want it to be in, even name one after you... whaddya say?

NOT!!

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
MACaver said:
pssst .... hey buddy c'mere .... I gotta Grand Masters belt and certificate here for ya... sell it to ya for a song. .... whatever art you want it to be in, even name one after you... whaddya say?

NOT!!
I don't say anything, I just leave it with a :btg:
and walk away laughing my butt off...

G

Galvatron

Dragon Fist said:
How could this happen, are they backed by any Martial Art Organization?

Being that it isn't illegal, it happens all the time.

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've seen it alot where i live.

Some places make you show up for classes & others You can just buy it from them.

And of course the internet is a big source.

Oh well! You can go to the store & buy one just as easy?

Peace :whip:

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I had an experience similar to Aaron Little's. I was attending Eastern Michigan University and decided to visit the Tae Kwon Do class just for a practice. I must have impressed the Instructor (who some of you probably know), because he offered to promote me to 3rd Dan if I joined his organization. Needless to say, I turned him down flat. Never went back to his class.

Unfortunately, it happens often. High ranking and name Instructors will sell their credibility for a price and recommend you to black belt, either out of greed or financial security. My Instructor told me of a high ranking Tae Kwon Do Grandmaster who, needing money in his advanced age, sold his recommendations to black belt to any who could pay.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Colin_Linz said:
I've seen them auctioned on ebay, complete with certificates.
Why pay shipping and handleing charges just go to the MA store near you and have your friend sign it with some bogus name and become a master of your own style mine is coach potatoe and my form is can of beer on coach.
I walk out open a can of beer sit on coach drink it burb and stand back up and pass out the end of form. Judges score 10.0,10.0,10.0,10.,10.0 throw out the low and high a perfect score just won GOLD Yea!!!!!! Seriously it does not matter weather you earn your belt or buy it these days the proof is in the pudding. Western Civilazation has brainwash so many people about MA that anybody and everybody is doing it. Look they incorpoate kick into Arobic classes just because they took a few classes in pre-school and got to blue belt, now they are able to teach. God Bless America the home of the mighty dollar to most!!!!
Eyecrazy.gif

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We like to think of your typical MA Instructor as kind of like either Mr. Miyagi (wise and a bit mystical) or Bruce Lee (talented to the point of being superhuman). The reality is quite different. Many Instructors, not all but many, are nothing like them, running the gamut between plain incompetance and outright greed. Many of these Instructors, Oriental and American, take advantage of Westerners' lack of martial arts knowledge, to con and fleece them. Martial arts are not part of our culture, and these Instructors take advantage of that. Don't forget, for years people assumed that priests would NEVER do that to kids. You could trust a priest. A martial arts instructor must be trustworthy because Mr. Miyagi would never con his students.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks like we are going to have to move our studio to the seaside so then we will all recieve the subliminal messages which automatically make us better martial artists...

J

jjmcc

If this could/can happen who are they cheating but themself a black belt isnt just to look good it is to show your commitment to your master and art and knowledge and experience of the art you study. So if this can or does happen leave them to there own devices they are the ones missing out...

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Black belts! Get your certifiable Black Belt here! Comes complete with a piece of paper with fancy color and graphics to authenticate your rank. Which rank do you want??

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor told us about black belts who offered him $10,000 if he would sign their black belt recommendation form. He turned them down flat. He said his integrity is worth more than $10,000.
As the saying goes "What good is a man if he gains the world but loses his soul?"

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor told us about black belts who offered him $10,000 if he would sign their black belt recommendation form. He turned them down flat. He said his integrity is worth more than $10,000.
As the saying goes "What good is a man if he gains the world but loses his soul?"
Good for him!!

Latest Discussions