Bjj

OP
firerex

firerex

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ok look im not trying to be a troll or w/e im just saying i hate how people mistake bjj for mma at my school, sure where you come from they may put 2 and 2 together but here they dont, like i have 5 people a day come in doggin on bjj because its not mma, im sorry to cause any comotion i'll keep my problems to myself next time

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok look im not trying to be a troll or w/e im just saying i hate how people mistake bjj for mma at my school, sure where you come from they may put 2 and 2 together but here they dont, like i have 5 people a day come in doggin on bjj because its not mma, im sorry to cause any comotion i'll keep my problems to myself next time

If you get that many people in there's two solutions, one change your advertising so people know exactly what you are offering and two start an MMA class. There must be a reason people are thinking you are doing MMA, I would look into that rather than have a go at MMA, it's done nothing to you and I'm sure the people where you live aren't any more stupid than people anywhere else.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
MMA is the flavor of the day right now. It will be for a few years and probably more because of the UFC and other promotions. It was the same back in the day with Judo, Karate, Kung Fu, Ninjutsu, BJJ, etc., etc. Personally I like it and the variety that is occuring. Makes me glad to be alive at this point in time!
icon6.gif

Now I have seen quite a few poorly run MMA schools sprouting up. Heck one of my students went up north and was taking a class and then they rolled and the instructor picked him to roll with. (probably thinking he would be easy) Next thing you know the instructor got caught in a rear naked choke and would not tap. (so he went to sleep :erg:) This was an ATA school which is now ATA + MMA school! So when looking around for the flavor of the day always check carefully that they have the goods! That goes for any system!
icon14.gif

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

And as I've said, these people are not seeing that BJJ is just 1 part of the puzzle. They're assuming that its 2 different things, when in reality, BJJ or any ground art, is what makes MMA up.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Okay. Presuming you ACTUALLY have 5 people a day dogging BJJ because it's not MMA, it sounds like the owner of your school is misrepresenting his school, whether intentionally or not.

But, even as I write that, I don't believe it. I just can't believe that anyone in the USA, particularly the type of TUF/MMA nuthugger that's looking to be the next GSP, is so ignorant of the sport that they don't understand the distinction between BJJ, Muay Thai, whatever else and MMA. Anyone who's watched even one episode of TUF or one UFC PPV will understand these distinctions.

So, I just don't believe that you're telling the truth. Maybe there's a kernel of truth there and you're simply exaggarating. I don't know, but as you've laid it out, I just don't think it's true. I don't believe that 5 people come into your school per day looking to train. That's one hell of a lot of traffic for new guys. Much less 5 people who are clueless about MMA, and yet want to train in MMA. That's a staggering degree of ignorance.

Look. I don't know how old you are, but you come across as a young guy. If that's the case and you're hyperbolizing the situation, try not to take it personally. If the occasional dumb... err... bunny comes into your school, it's not your problem. I can almost guarantee you that your instructor doesn't give it another thought.

If you're trolling and trying to stir up conflict by reintroducing this tired old MMA vs BJJ vs everyone else BS, please stop.
MJS said:
And as I've said, these people are not seeing that BJJ is just 1 part of the puzzle. They're assuming that its 2 different things, when in reality, BJJ or any ground art, is what makes MMA up.
If these people really exist, and I'm not convinced they do.

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have to say that alot of people assume the whole BJJ is MMA that people think is because BJJ is a common art to know in MMA(in the cage) since alot of the famous guys know it. I did MMA for a little bit. I really enjoyed it. I can apply it to my own fighting style(I am a boxer). I am now trying to get a ground game so I am going to look for Jui Jitsu or BJJ to make my ground game better. The gym I was at assumed everyone had some form of background in wrestling or rather did not do much for those of us who were clueless to ground work. I think that is something alot of people dont get when they go into MMA. You have to know how to fight on the ground and you have to know how to strike and at the very least you better be in a school that teaches you how to do that. I am looking for a specific school becase I want to know the art before i try to mix it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have to say that alot of people assume the whole BJJ is MMA that people think is because BJJ is a common art to know in MMA(in the cage) since alot of the famous guys know it. I did MMA for a little bit. I really enjoyed it. I can apply it to my own fighting style(I am a boxer). I am now trying to get a ground game so I am going to look for Jui Jitsu or BJJ to make my ground game better. The gym I was at assumed everyone had some form of background in wrestling or rather did not do much for those of us who were clueless to ground work. I think that is something alot of people dont get when they go into MMA. You have to know how to fight on the ground and you have to know how to strike and at the very least you better be in a school that teaches you how to do that. I am looking for a specific school becase I want to know the art before i try to mix it.
I don't train in MMA. I specifically stick to grappling. But that said, our MMA coach has a professional record, is a brown belt in BJJ and an experienced Muay Thai coach. He's also got many years experience blending all of these together.

Point isn't to brag about our guy, even though he's terrific. It's to throw out what I believe is a reasonable baseline. EVERY MMA school should have at least a BJJ purple belt or equivalent (ie sambo)... maybe a very experienced blue belt in addition to solid wrestling (no, they aren't the same) and standup of some kind. If you're at an "MMA" school that doesn't have at least the above, I'd be a little skeptical.

Tez or other MMA guys, would you agree?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve, I do agree. I think too that like boxing you will find that a good MMA place will be called a gym or club not a school. It's a small thing but indicates seriousness about MMA. An MMA gym should have a good standup coach, a good ground coach and a good fitness coach if neither of the other two are qualified. If you are going to fight, the gym should have experienced corners and tacticians. it's no good just having good technical coaches you need a manager/coach who will get you the right fights with the right people on the right shows. You need opponents that you can beat but could equally beat you. Easy wins count for nothing.
We have the BJJ and the Muay Thai coaches but not the wrestling, it's a minority sport here and few train so coaches are few and far between. If we could we certainly would.
A good coach doesn't have to have a professional record in MMA but if they do it's hugely beneficial.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
as i've mentioned before, i teach shingitai jujitsu, essentially a blend of judo, sambo, & jjj. we throw & we roll. i've had tons of inquires from people who weren't interested because it was bjj. sjj is a good style, it just hasn't been well marketed or had a lot of high profile mma fighters. & that's totally fine, nothing to get bitter about. if they would try a couple of classes they might change their mind, but most people know what they want before they go to a school & are looking for a "brand name", especially if they are new to martial arts. it's no big deal, nothing to get bent out of shape about.

jf

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am guilty of looking for brand name myself so I know what you are talking about. I am one of those guys who likes to research everything before I start something or purchase something. I cant help it that I am frugal...maybe its the Scotch in me lol. But you are certainly right. In order for your art to get big you gotta advertise it. If that means squaring it off against these other arts...then thats what you need to do, even as dumb as that may sound. If Im not mistaken, isnt that what Gracie did? It really reminds me of how guns are tested. New guns are always compaired to older models(of course company tests are always using a tuned gun). And the similarities of guns to martial arts are impressive. Really all weapons. And the arts are as varried as the weapons.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am guilty of looking for brand name myself so I know what you are talking about. I am one of those guys who likes to research everything before I start something or purchase something. I cant help it that I am frugal...maybe its the Scotch in me lol. But you are certainly right. In order for your art to get big you gotta advertise it. If that means squaring it off against these other arts...then thats what you need to do, even as dumb as that may sound. If Im not mistaken, isnt that what Gracie did? It really reminds me of how guns are tested. New guns are always compaired to older models(of course company tests are always using a tuned gun). And the similarities of guns to martial arts are impressive. Really all weapons. And the arts are as varried as the weapons.

Scotch in you? Are you drunk a lot then? Scotch is alcohol and only that, never anything else lol, you probably mean Scottish.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Scotch in you? Are you drunk a lot then? Scotch is alcohol and only that, never anything else lol, you probably mean Scottish.
LOL. I thought the exact same thing, Tez. But I'm on painkillers right now, so I presumed I was just being loopy. I thought that he was posting while intoxicated! :D

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score

That was a smart marketing move on the part of the Gracies (They also dont show the tapes of them losing and they did a few) as well as starting the UFC (Where they intentially did not allow any real Judokas) and they showed to those who dont know how effective groundfighting can be.

But if your art is more about defending yourself against street assults, you really cant do that. Unless their is a camera on you IF you are assulted.

Style vs style duels are useless in that regard.

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That was a smart marketing move on the part of the Gracies (They also dont show the tapes of them losing and they did a few) as well as starting the UFC (Where they intentially did not allow any real Judokas) and they showed to those who dont know how effective groundfighting can be.

But if your art is more about defending yourself against street assults, you really cant do that. Unless their is a camera on you IF you are assulted.

Style vs style duels are useless in that regard.

That is exactly right. It was brilliant marketing. But how has Krav become so big? You cant practice it traditionally by sparring either? I think alot of it also has to do with those marketing the art. If they come out and are dedicated to putting it out there all the time then it becomes big. Krav became so big because of the military training. Then people cross trained with Krav experts and then it gained a following. Of course people bash the style as unrealisic and such, but it IS effective. And the only way something can be proven to be effective is like you said, someone having the camera on them at all times. Lets face it....you cant practice a neck break by actually breaking the guys neck...its just not convenient to go find a new sparring partner after every practice. If you can find a full time ad agency willing to spread the word im sure the art could get big too. But you better have lots of coin lol.

And I meant scottish guys....thanks for that. But Scotch is also a tape....im suprised i didnt get see that 1 lol. I have been in a wierd state for the past few weeks tryin to move out and researching a place to go to Church and a place to start Jui Jitsu(Either traditional or Brazillian).

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That was a smart marketing move on the part of the Gracies (They also dont show the tapes of them losing and they did a few) as well as starting the UFC (Where they intentially did not allow any real Judokas)

Weird. A few days ago I posted a response to the above providing a list of real judokas who competed in the early UFCs. Now those posts are missing. Was there a database glitch or did a mod delete my posts for some reason?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't see how you can say MMA is not an art.

I am the first to respond when someone calls it the be all end all especially if they equate it with street combat but it can surely be called an art.

ANy time you do something that expresses yourself, that is art, you might not like someone's art but it is stiull an art.

It might not be as codifeid as WTF TKD, but so what? I think the fact that it veries so much from Gym to gym makes even more of an art, as there is more individualism to it than many arts.

cuz it isnt an art, it is a sport

it isnt even a sport, it is a hodge podge collection of pieces of other arts thrown together to be used in a sport setting.

there is no art in modern MMA

ANy time you do something that expresses yourself, that is art, you might not like someone's art but it is stiull an art.

ok, can i express myself by taking a dump on the mat of your gym? and can i then call it "art"?

of course not

calling something art doesnt make it so. thats the problem with people these days, they just use words randomly with no concelpt of what they actually MEAN.

in the context of martial art, there is no art in mma

all of the above is my opinion, and nothing more.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Weird. A few days ago I posted a response to the above providing a list of real judokas who competed in the early UFCs. Now those posts are missing. Was there a database glitch or did a mod delete my posts for some reason?

There was a database crash. Bob announced it in the top most forum (admin announcements?). Everything from the last week or so is gone.

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
What BJJ has taught me, been taking kenpo for 5 years in all that time in kenpo I never ever learned lessons that I learned after 3 BJJ classes!!!
1. I am a sissy!!
2. I am not tough!!
3. Think I went totally insane even signing up for BJJ!!!!
But will say I do love it!! Great cardio workout, builds muscles, and learning something different, builds stamina, more and more and more tummy crunch’s, more and more push ups!!!

Latest Discussions