BJJ Teacher Roy Dean on Aikido....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is not that competition is necessary to do the art. Anyone can train martial arts.

But you lose a level of progression and understanding if you don't.

So yeah. You don't have to compete in anything.
Agree!

Can you image that if you take a course in college and know that you won't have mid term and final exams? I took a course "Category Theory - the algebra is like a tree, the modern algebra is like a forest, today let's talk about a set of forest" in UT Austin. In that course, there was no homework, no mid term exam, and no final exam. On the last day before the teacher said good by to every students, one student asked, "How are you going to grade us if there will be no exam?" The teacher said, "If you have the courage to take this course, you deserve an A". The 1st year college course number starts from 300. That course "Category Theory" has class number of 935 that you just can't find any higher level course than that in college. Since there was no homework, no exams, my book is still quite new and I did't learn much from that course but I got my "A" any way.

Last edited:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The evolution of boxing, wrestling, Bjj, MMA, Judo, etc. kind of prove that it's not nonsense.
Many disagree the evolution of those styles moved towards winning trophies and away from self defense

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Many disagree the evolution of those styles moved towards winning trophies and away from self defense

Well look at the Triangke Choke. It was a technique that developed via competition, and plenty of people have used it to defend themselves.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agree!

Can you image that if you take a course in college and know that you won't have mid term and final exams? I took a course "Category Theory - the algebra is like a tree, the modern algebra is like a forest, today let's talk about a set of forest" in UT Austin. In that course, there was no homework, no mid term exam, and no final exam. On the last day before the teacher said good by to every students, one student asked, "How are you going to grade us if there will be no exam?" The teacher said, "If you have the courage to take this course, you deserve an A". The 1st year college course number starts from 300. That course "Category Theory" has class number of 935 that you just can't find any higher level course than that in college. Since there was no homework, no exams, my book is still quite new and I did't learn much from that course but I got my "A" any way.
So because you have no self-motivation to learn and need cheap belts and trophies everyone else does too?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well look at the Triangke Choke. It was a technique that developed via competition, and plenty of people have used it to defend themselves.
WOW 1 whole move well there you go case closed

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
WOW 1 whole move well there you go case closed

Along with closed guard, half guard, rubber guard, Williams Guard, guard sweeps, uppa, Ezekiel choke, Omoplata, Gogoplata, Kimura, kneebars, ankle locks, heel hooks, etc.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Along with closed guard, half guard, rubber guard, Williams Guard, guard sweeps, uppa, Ezekiel choke, Omoplata, Gogoplata, Kimura, kneebars, ankle locks, heel hooks, etc.
renaming something that already existed isnt inventing it. Also look how much is removed from these arts to conform to sport rules. Judo removes things every year, where did BJJ strikes go I know there were there in the begining now due to sport its not taught in many schools. Competition hurts the self-defense portion of theses arts and turns them into games

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

"Omoplata?" Isn't that some kids' cereal?
rolling.gif

Why don't you call it by its original name, so the other old guys understand: ashi-sankaku-garami, 三角緘? I mean, after all, BJJ is Basically Just Judo...
rolling.gif

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin's note:

Thread locked, pending staff review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions