Biu Jee: the Opening move

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was practicing biu jee last night (a form that I know in its entirety, but still struggle with), and I realized that I wasn't sure what the "proper" way (for someone in my lineage anyway) to do the opening section. I'm talking specifically of the part after you punch where you flick your hand back and forth both horizontally and then vertically. So I fired off a message to Sifu, and I asked him if it was right to flick the hand one way, pause, then flick back...or if your hand should move quickly back and forth.

He said, "Both ways are correct, but pausing after each flick is easier at first because it helps you learn the release of energy."

I thought that was a pretty neat little discovery myself, but then again that's just me.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's always good to keep in mind that various techniques can be performed and applied in different ways depending on the situation that you're in. The vertical and horizontal hand movements can be used as a grab break for example by adding a slight circular motion to them.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, the "wagging fingers" movement found in the Biu Tze form in the Yip Man lineages and even in Siu Nim Tau (Siu Lim Tau) in many mainland lineages is not for breaking a wrist grab. Some say that it's about increasing suppleness of the wrist, developing and drawing "springy" or "whip-like" energy all the way through the fingers, and so on. Or you may believe, as I do, that it's a form of hypnosis that will distract and mezmerise your opponent. This is apparent when you see a true initiate perform this sequence properly as in the clip below:

Last edited by a moderator:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, the "wagging fingers" movement found in the Biu Tze form in the Yip Man lineages and even in Siu Nim Tau (Siu Lim Tau) in many mainland lineages is not for breaking a wrist grab. Some say that it's about increasing suppleness of the wrist, developing and drawing "springy" or "whip-like" energy all the way through the fingers, and so on. Or you may believe, as I do, that it's a form of hypnosis that will distract and mezmerise your opponent. This is apparent when you see a true initiate perform this sequence properly as in the clip below:

Amazing suppleness in both the wrist and body.

Obviously a master.

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
These movements, and others in the same sequence, are at the start of our SLT. I teach them to develop, for lack of a better word, a snake like energy and deeper relaxation. In application we use them in our "mor kiu" chi sao which is a little different to luk sao chi sao.
here's some clips of sifu mai gei wong doing something similar;

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
These movements, and others in the same sequence, are at the start of our SLT. I teach them to develop, for lack of a better word, a snake like energy and deeper relaxation. In application we use them in our "mor kiu" chi sao which is a little different to luk sao chi sao.
here's some clips of sifu mai gei wong doing something similar;

Very good chi sau.

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Very good chi sau.

Yeah, I like the way that in both videos he's just letting the other guy come at him with attack after attack and just countering. Then right at the end he becomes the aggressor just to show who's boss.

Latest Discussions