More Chum Kiu Fun!

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I realize these are my personal training notes and observations, but I share them here because (1) I always want to share developments I get excited over, and (2) maybe someone else is having similar struggles, and my notes strike a chord with them.

In any event, I did chum kiu and posted it on Facebook last night. Sifu said my yiu ma was getting better. Then he said, "Now remember the details about single lan sao." The sad thing is...I have no idea what he meant! I think he's referring to sinking my lan sao as I pivot, but I'm not sure.

I DO know that I am finally getting better about two things with my pivot: (1) I'm drawing my hip back right. (2) I am sitting into the stance better. (3) I'm getting a better hang of gripping the floor with my entire foot. The trick was for me to think of my feet being nailed to the floor by two railroad spikes. This way I imagine my feet can't move; otherwise I'd look like a clueless fool if I were to lose my balance during the pivots!

Naturally the "feet nailed to the floor" thing doesn't help when it's time to STEP during the form, but then again I never had any balance trouble then...only when pivoting.

Latest Discussions