Billie Joe Armstrong

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
A "punk" rocker freaked out and acted up on stage? Say it isnt so. I remember when I was a teen and my bud Jason was all into Green Day, we went to see them at Roseland Ballroom, dude spit on Jason. There's a reason us metalheads look down on punks ... other than the fact that they cannot play for crap.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel the same way...he doesn't need to go to rehab, people just have to accept punk rockers do this type of thing...get attention by freaking out and cursing at everyone in between sets

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have been to many punk shows and I never saw any band
Spit on anyone. I hardly consider green day punk compared
To antiflag,pennywise,bouncing souls. Punk bands from people
I have met are the down to earth people and nicest people.
Punk rock isn't so much about can you play an instrument it is more about unity,about
Being yourself and expression. What I always liked about punk bands
Was after the show they would hang out with you or talk to you.
A lot of times at shows one of the band members are selling their merchandise
so you know the things you buy goes to the band.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spit on anyone.

Please. I was going to Black Flag, X, and other real punk shows back in the day. Spit on you? They would throw microphones at audience members, and club the crap out of them if they tried to climb up on stage to crowd-surf. Spitting would have been comparatively polite.

I actually like Green Day. Punk they are not. Punk has one drum beat and three chords. It's energy and not musicianship. I liked it for that. But it's dead now. Dead and gone.

This is punk:

[video=youtube_share;Fsbvo5GVK10]http://youtu.be/Fsbvo5GVK10[/video]

[video=youtube_share;sbupNAwT4rk]http://youtu.be/sbupNAwT4rk[/video]

[video=youtube_share;aEJiUELDi30]http://youtu.be/aEJiUELDi30[/video]

[video=youtube_share;Mo8eQgjIAEs]http://youtu.be/Mo8eQgjIAEs[/video]

Hell, the late GG Allin used to attack his fans in the nude, urinate on them, and throw his own feces at them. Never went to one of his shows.

Warning, NSFW:

[video=youtube_share;QMSWRT6ynhs]http://youtu.be/QMSWRT6ynhs[/video]

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Spit on anyone. I hardly consider green day punk compared
To antiflag,pennywise,bouncing souls. Punk bands from people
I have met are the down to earth people and nicest people.
Punk rock isn't so much about can you play an instrument it is more about unity,about
Being yourself and expression. What I always liked about punk bands
Was after the show they would hang out with you or talk to you.
A lot of times at shows one of the band members are selling their merchandise
so you know the things you buy goes to the band.
I agree, but was also using punk in what people who call green day punk consider punk

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Bill
Please. I was going to Black Flag, X, and other real punk shows back in the day. Spit on you? They would throw microphones at audience members, and club the crap out of them if they tried to climb up on stage to crowd-surf. Spitting would have been comparatively polite.
REAL PUNK SHOWS :rofl::rofl::rofl: Dude, as if going to a Black flag show makes you more punk rock then anyone else lol. First Black Flag isn't really Punk they are sub-genre known as Hardcore. Second during the mid eighties the bands started to move away from the violence in the scene and many bands regret there being violence as that was not the point of it you can see with the scene starting with the Youth Crew movement and Minor Threat with the Stright edge movement. The scene became more about unity because everyone realize everyone is stronger united then divided with violence against each other.

I actually like Green Day. Punk they are not. Punk has one drum beat and three chords. It's energy and not musicianship. I liked it for that. But it's dead now. Dead and gone.
Its cool if you like Green Day, Green day did their first gig opening for Operation Ivy so they do have some ties to the Punk-ska scene in the late 80's.
Punk does not have only one drum beat. There are alot of changes in the beats. You have break downs and build ups. Also Punk is not all just 3 chords or power chords. Many Punk bands now a days have really worked on structure in the song and have come up with more complicated changes. Matt Freeman bass playing is one of the best Punk bassist and as a bass player myself his structure does have alot going on then just three chords. It's energy sure, is it music depends. The idea is that anyone can do it but again Punk rock like Rock and Roll has evolved. Its trendy to say Punk is dead people have been saying it for years. Your generation of Punk may be dead but my generation still keeps it alive and we are stronger and united much more than when Punk first came out.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Kenpo maybe it all comes down to semantics. Is Green Day punk depends who you talk to. Some might say yes they are pop punk, or they are emo or they are alternative.
It is like that with hardcore bands too. Is Bad Brains Punk or Hardcore. What about Proto-Punk, Punk and Post Punk and then with new wave and goth things get blurry.
I really don't care who is punk or not. Punk is being yourself. Saying you went to a Black flag concert in the 80's and wearing that as some pendant of how many punk points you have is as far away from Punk as you can get. Anyway I have made my point talking about what is Punk and is not Punk isn't very Punk either. :boing2:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that Punk was sped up reggae. The Police were punk, but full of talent.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Bill

REAL PUNK SHOWS :rofl::rofl::rofl: Dude, as if going to a Black flag show makes you more punk rock then anyone else lol.

All it makes me is old. I'm not 'punk', but I know what punk is. And generally speaking, what it is not.

First Black Flag isn't really Punk they are sub-genre known as Hardcore. Second during the mid eighties the bands started to move away from the violence in the scene and many bands regret there being violence as that was not the point of it you can see with the scene starting with the Youth Crew movement and Minor Threat with the Stright edge movement. The scene became more about unity because everyone realize everyone is stronger united then divided with violence against each other.

What Black Flag is or is not considered to have been in retrospect is irrelevant. I was there, it was punk, and that's what it was called. If you were a reader of Flipside in 1981/82 and going to local shows, you knew what punk was and what it wasn't at the time (SoCal, early 1980s).

I'm quite familiar with Straight Edge, especially as it evolved as a reaction not just to drug use and violence, but also to the beginnings of 'oi' and the mistaken belief by some that punk rockers were skinheads of the racist sort.

Its cool if you like Green Day, Green day did their first gig opening for Operation Ivy so they do have some ties to the Punk-ska scene in the late 80's.

There was no punk in the late 1980s that I am aware of.

Punk does not have only one drum beat. There are alot of changes in the beats. You have break downs and build ups. Also Punk is not all just 3 chords or power chords. Many Punk bands now a days have really worked on structure in the song and have come up with more complicated changes. Matt Freeman bass playing is one of the best Punk bassist and as a bass player myself his structure does have alot going on then just three chords. It's energy sure, is it music depends. The idea is that anyone can do it but again Punk rock like Rock and Roll has evolved. Its trendy to say Punk is dead people have been saying it for years.

I have no idea what is trendy and what is not. I recall the proclaimed 'death' of punk, including a funeral for it, in the mid 1980s.

Your generation of Punk may be dead but my generation still keeps it alive and we are stronger and united much more than when Punk first came out.

Your generation's punk is to my generation's punk what Sha-Na-Na is to Do-wop. A great look back. No offense intended; as I said, I do like Greenday (as well as other so-called 'punk' bands).

Hey, I like ska also, but it's not the same ska as the original ska. For that matter, my 'punk' is not the same punk as that which came out of the UK before it, or even the East Coast US punk that also preceded it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that Punk was sped up reggae. The Police were punk, but full of talent.

That would be incorrect. The Police were in no way 'punk'. I did like them quite a bit, but punk? NO.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That would be incorrect. The Police were in no way 'punk'. I did like them quite a bit, but punk? NO.
Gosh Bill those VH1 specials seemed so convincing in the description and beat. Isn't it possible you are being a bit of a stickler for the attitude thing?
Sean

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gosh Bill those VH1 specials seemed so convincing in the description and beat. Isn't it possible you are being a bit of a stickler for the attitude thing?
Sean

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Police

The Police were an English rock band formed in London in 1977. For the vast majority of their history, the band consisted of Sting (lead vocals, bass), Andy Summers (guitar) and Stewart Copeland (drums). The Police became globally popular in the late 1970s and are generally regarded as one of the first New Wave groups to achieve mainstream success, playing a style of rock that was influenced by punk, reggae, and jazz.

I liked The Police quite a bit; still think some of their songs are classics. But they are melodic, they have metre and rhyme and harmony. These are not particular attributes of punk rock.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Bill,
What Black Flag is or is not considered to have been in retrospect is irrelevant. I was there, it was punk, and that's what it was called. If you were a reader of Flipside in 1981/82 and going to local shows, you knew what punk was and what it wasn't at the time (SoCal, early 1980s).
It is called Hardcore Punk. But Hardcore differs from say the Punk of the Sex Pistols, Ramones. It is like comparing Taijiquan to Karate even if both are martial arts.

I'm quite familiar with Straight Edge, especially as it evolved as a reaction not just to drug use and violence, but also to the beginnings of 'oi' and the mistaken belief by some that punk rockers were skinheads of the racist sort.
Straight edge evolved from many bands and their personal belief. Minor Threat's sing Straight Edge is considered one of the main influences but Ian never consider making a movement just expressing his personal beliefs in the song. Alot of the bands that shared similar ideas were friends. Straight Edge did not come as a counter balance against racist skin heads though it may have been possible. Youth of Today were very into Straight edge with the Youth movement and Ray the singer shaved his head.
Most Skin heads I have met are SHARPS and are very nice.
There was no punk in the late 1980s that I am aware of.
Well the same bands still kept making records. The Vandals, NoFX, Bad Brains and so on were and are still making music and playing shows so yes there was punk and there is punk now.
I have no idea what is trendy and what is not. I recall the proclaimed 'death' of punk, including a funeral for it, in the mid 1980s.
Rick Rubin had a funeral for the word "DEF" yet the word is still used sometimes. People said disco is dead yet Disco bands are still playing shows at Disney world lol.
Your generation's punk is to my generation's punk what Sha-Na-Na is to Do-wop. A great look back. No offense intended; as I said, I do like Greenday (as well as other so-called 'punk' bands).
Alot of the bands from the 80's are still playing.

Hey, I like ska also, but it's not the same ska as the original ska. For that matter, my 'punk' is not the same punk as that which came out of the UK before it, or even the East Coast US punk that also preceded it.
Which Ska the 1960's Ska, The Two tone ska, 3RD Wave, Ska-Punk? All have the same Ska sound just different tempos.

I think we can all agree Justin Bieber sucks though! :boing2:

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Touch,
Reggae and Punk are different. Bad Brain actually played both.:boing2:
The drums are very different the drums such as the one drop is on the 1, and 3 The Bass in Reggae is deeper, Reggae guitar favors more of the Wah pedal.
Punk uses a faster tempo with a 1 2 beat, The bass lines are more pop and springing, Guitar is distorted.
The Police were more reggae and pop then Punk. That is what I mean people sometimes considered bands like Blondie and such as Punk and the line of Punk, pop, New wave just get blurry, even more so with the band Madness a ska band who's famous song "our house" is like a new wave classic!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Bill,

It is called Hardcore Punk. But Hardcore differs from say the Punk of the Sex Pistols, Ramones. It is like comparing Taijiquan to Karate even if both are martial arts.

Straight edge evolved from many bands and their personal belief. Minor Threat's sing Straight Edge is considered one of the main influences but Ian never consider making a movement just expressing his personal beliefs in the song. Alot of the bands that shared similar ideas were friends. Straight Edge did not come as a counter balance against racist skin heads though it may have been possible. Youth of Today were very into Straight edge with the Youth movement and Ray the singer shaved his head.
Most Skin heads I have met are SHARPS and are very nice.
Well the same bands still kept making records. The Vandals, NoFX, Bad Brains and so on were and are still making music and playing shows so yes there was punk and there is punk now.

Rick Rubin had a funeral for the word "DEF" yet the word is still used sometimes. People said disco is dead yet Disco bands are still playing shows at Disney world lol.
Alot of the bands from the 80's are still playing.

Which Ska the 1960's Ska, The Two tone ska, 3RD Wave, Ska-Punk? All have the same Ska sound just different tempos.

I think we can all agree Justin Bieber sucks though! :boing2:

I don't think we're that far off. Whatever the punk that I was listening to back in the day may be called now, it wasn't called that then. How do I know? I was there.

And that leads to my second point. You seem to feel that I think I'm 'more punk' (whatever that is) because I was there when it was happening. I'm not 'more punk' than anyone else. I was just there. People who were there, were there. People who were not there were not there. That's all.

I get that kind of thing from people who want to be military veterans are aren't. I don't think I'm 'better than' anyone else for being a veteran. But I am one. Those who are not, are not. They can't tell me anything about what being a veteran is like; they haven't a clue. Likewise, I don't know how someone who was not there when I was can tell me what the music I was into is called. I was there. I know what it was called. Those who were not there have no way to know what we called it other than things they read.

And SHARPS were very late to the game, from my point of view. The first skinheads I ran into were simply punk rockers. The group that started wearing the braces and Doc Martins after that were often racist skinheads. Then came the SHARPS.

You keep mentioning these bands like you think I don't know who they are. I was there. I remember. From personal experience, not reading about it somewhere.

As to ska, I meant the Two Tone stuff. The Selector, the Beat, Madness, The Specials AKA, etc. I love them but they were not the first ska. I also have some original Jamaican ska vinyl I spin from time to time. I like that too, but it's not the stuff I grew up on; it came first.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is this one of those occasions where American and English usage mean different things?

Punk is bands such as:

Sex Pistols
[yt]na7A3-UCCYE[/yt]

Clash
[yt]TIh7UPvHxAk[/yt]

Adverts
[yt]oaDfy3Rc35E[/yt]

Sham69
[yt]QNmW1mq-n_s[/yt]

Buzzcocks
[yt]terg_LPT3X0[/yt]

Stranglers
[yt]2B4bsqYxwo0[/yt]

Siouxsie and the Banshees
[yt]Ng3z7lrC80I[/yt]

The Damned
[yt]p5o3NFnyM4g[/yt]

Leyton Buzzards
[yt]U5STduWCjdk[/yt]

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh and The Selector were the very first band I ever went to see play live :D. Kudos to BillM for knowing who they were :tup:.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh and The Selector were the very first band I ever went to see play live :D. Kudos to BillM for knowing who they were :tup:.

Short story time...

When I was in my final year of high school in Colorado, circa 1978/79, I was driving myself to school every day instead of taking the bus. One day, I found a pirate radio station. They were playing music I had never heard of before. I listened to them for a few weeks. The FCC shut them down, I suppose, because they disappeared. However, I found a 'legitimate' station that was playing this same kind of music. From a lifetime of listening to what we called "Top 40" or "AOR" (Album-Oriented Rock) such as Kansas, Boston, Queen, Foreigner, Journey, and etc, I found myself listening to bands like The Stranglers, The Specials AKA, Madness, The Selector, Captain Sensible, The Fabulous Poodles, and so on. It was quite an awakening for me, and I have to say it played some part in shaping my life thereafter. I found a record store in downtown Denver that sold import vinyl and I started spending my disposable income on records from the UK and from smaller independent labels. This alienated me from my Kansas, Boston, Aerosmith, etc, friends and left me to my own devices. I went further and further afield rather quickly.

Thus it was that when I joined the USMC and found myself in Southern California when the West Coast's version of punk was happening, I fell right inline with that music. I listened to KROQ out of Los Angeles, I read "Flipside" fanzine, collected records, and I attended all the punk shows I could in the area.

Although my musical tastes have expanded greatly since then, I never lost my taste for Ska, Punk, New Wave, and a variety of difficult-to-classify music from everywhere. I listen to all things UK, from Dance Hall to The Streets. I have never set foot in the UK, but one day I would love to visit. I seldom hear popular music from the UK that I do not like.

FYI: this is me at Camp Pendleton, California in 1982. Rude Boy:

Himself at 13 Area Barracks, Camp Pendleton, California - 1982 by Wigwam Jones, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions