Best self defense handgun

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I were buying again right now, it's what I'd get (I currently have the 23).

I like the 23....i carried one for a long time working undercover.

Now I have a 43, 27, 26, and 22. I would like a 19 though.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool! I do love Glocks, my airsoft Elite Force Glock is nice, I just wasn't sure how similar a real glock will feel, will it be bulkier? I do like the idea of the backstrap kit, I think I might go that direction.
Haven't handled that particular Airsoft gun, at least off the top of my head. Generally, unless special care has been taken, Airsoft type guns are lighter and operate a little differently than the real pistol would. Dimensionally -- they're pretty accurate. (You can probably compare specs from Glock's website and either your replica or the manufacturer's site.)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As mentioned before the best one is the one that you have on you when you need it.

jks9199 makes excellent points in his two posts. Like him I have used Glock's since 1990. I have never had a malfunction. Simple and easy to use and that is why I prefer them. Whether for self-defense or for law enforcement they have excellent reliability and performance.

The Glock 19 is an excellent choice and one I use myself!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the 23....i carried one for a long time working undercover.

Now I have a 43, 27, 26, and 22. I would like a 19 though.
I want a Glock 18. Can't convince the chief on that one, though...

I mean, I really, really want one!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As others have said, the best one is one that you can both legally carry and actually will carry.
I may absolutely love the Dessert Eagle 50A.E., and I can legally carry one. But they're way too big, heavy, and bulky. so it's a rotten self-defense handgun.
I prefer polymer handguns for their weight. I prefer 9mm because it provides the largest capacity for a given frame size. My most common choice for a concealed carry gun is the Glock 19. If I need something smaller, then the 26. Or even the 43, but it's extremely rare that I'd need to go that small.
My bedside gun is a suppressed, laser sighted, Glock 41. Because I like being able to hear, and I don't want to disturb the neighbors.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
It’s .380......it’s got a really long trigger pull for a small gun that makes it hard to shoot.....not durable

IvanTheBrick

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Bulgarian Standard Army Issue Makarov Handgun
Relatively small and good recoil so it won't blow my arm off. I think it is also quite small so it would be good to hide too.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, yeah.
Actually, I want him to approve it just long enough before I retire for me to carry it on duty for a bit -- than take advantage of the Virginia law that lets me buy my duty gun for a buck. :D

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As an option.... If you get a Glock in .40 you can get a 9mm or .357 Sig conversion barrel (or both), and a .22lr conversion slide/barrel combo. Kind of building up to a modular set up. The 9mm would require a 9mm mag to function a 100% but the .22 kit should come with one. The .357 Sig would use the .40 mags.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some people, with a high master grip on the gun, find that the slide on Glock will take a bite out of their thumb... Doesn't happen to everyone, and I've seen people who just plain can never learn to grip the gun in a way that doesn't do that.

Then there's the annoying scrape on the middle finger from the trigger guard. Never had a problem with that, until someone here at MT talked about it, and jinxed me. Now, if I'm planning on doing a lot of shooting, I proactively put a band aid on that part of my middle finger...

I have also seen it with people not familiar with semi-autos. I went shooting with an old school Army guy and told him not to cross his left thumb over the top of his right when he gripped the Glock. First shot, he crosses it over and takes a chunk out of the thumb knuckle.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
The one that you happen to be carrying when you actually need it.

Yep, and I would add that it should be a gun you are familiar with and comfortable shooting with.

I was at the range one time and there was a guy in the lane next to me all over the target. I could tell he was shooting a .45 by the sound. I took a step back to watch him shoot and he was REALLY flinching before pulling the trigger because he was afraid of the gun. It doesn't matter how GREAT that gun is, he shouldn't put his life on the line using it until he can control it and be comfortable with it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have also seen it with people not familiar with semi-autos. I went shooting with an old school Army guy and told him not to cross his left thumb over the top of his right when he gripped the Glock. First shot, he crosses it over and takes a chunk out of the thumb knuckle.
We had one officer, who'd started long before semi-autos were standard issue, who could never get over that habit. We just kept the bandaids handy during quals, because he'd get bit at least once every time...

Slide bite is certainly not limited to Glocks, but it seems maybe more common on striker fired pistols...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, and I would add that it should be a gun you are familiar with and comfortable shooting with.

I was at the range one time and there was a guy in the lane next to me all over the target. I could tell he was shooting a .45 by the sound. I took a step back to watch him shoot and he was REALLY flinching before pulling the trigger because he was afraid of the gun. It doesn't matter how GREAT that gun is, he shouldn't put his life on the line using it until he can control it and be comfortable with it.
Even for someone not afraid of the gun, that's true. When I carried, I switched to a 1911 Officer's model in .45 - I liked the feel and the way it sat on the hip felt more comfortable. I switched back to a Glock (in .40) because the "shove" of a .45 simply took too much adjustment from the way I'd always shot, and the 1911 doesn't just fall on target the way a Glock does in my hand. I'm guessing it's because the vast majority of my shooting was a Glock 17, so I'd built my skills around that. I loved the 1911, but it was the wrong gun for me, and the .45 was the wrong cartridge for me.

D

Deleted member 39746

I personally lean towards .40's and 9mm's. If i could shoot a 40 well and could handle the recoil etc i would opt for that. But those are two i have grown to like to try out if i was allowed to carry a firearm. But its just anything you can afford that works decently and anything you can carry.

I haven't been brought up on the 45 bias and of the videos and such i have watched, i dont think i can go below 9mm and above 40.

edit: Also according to the statistics someone has looked at (dont know what they are,were not listed) 5 rounds is the average used in self defence shootings, so there is merit in carrying a 45 if they are true or a revolver in 357 or 44 for self defence(against people).

Last edited by a moderator:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We had one officer, who'd started long before semi-autos were standard issue, who could never get over that habit. We just kept the bandaids handy during quals, because he'd get bit at least once every time...

Slide bite is certainly not limited to Glocks, but it seems maybe more common on striker fired pistols...

Meh... maybe...
The only gun I ever got slide bitten by is a Para-Ordnance P14-45. One of the older models. Great gun overall, but it was made before they started putting beavertail grip safeties on them. So I added one. Haven't been bitten since.
IMG_2480.JPG

Latest Discussions