Best self defence art?

Drunken_Boxer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
To me there is no "best self defence art", I study taekwondo, drunken boxing, and some trick stuff (not recommened for a street fight, but can be done if u know how to do it), and Im happy with that what Im learnin, uuhm...I can say "karate" is pritty popular for self defense, then u have "taekwondo" (of course when you also practice hand combat)...uuuhm to me every art is useful ;)

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is not just the art, but the method in which you train the art. I read a book not too long ago, where the author pointed out that so many grapplers are trained in sport that they are trained to release on a tapout. He claimed that he has escaped some holds/locked in real situations by simply tapping out. The person then reflexively relaxes the hold and then makes it easier to escape.

At the school I train, the instructors sometimes talk about how the rules of some sport MA ingrain some dangerous actions into participants. One recent one was the classic bob and weave drill in boxing. Our instructor asserted that a boxer can perform that move in that way because there are no kicks in boxing and no strike to the back of the head. The classic bob and weave makes you more vulnerable to both of these tactics in a real fight.

This is not to say that wrestling/BJJ/boxing are inferior to other arts for street defense, but that certain training principles/practices can create weaknesses that can be exploited in a street fight.

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
I certainly concur that there is no "best" art--not for all circumstances, and especially not for all people and not regardless of the instructor's viewpoint and methods--and that's an important point to make. But I think some are more applicable to self-defense than others, and one can give some pointers in that regard.
Our lives are short, so practice one good and effective art that you can enjoy and do for the rest of your life, or two. I have been practicing for many years, a form of Kenpo combined wilth elements of Aikido. I have my own form of Kenpo derived from Ed Parker and Tracy Kenpo ( I prefer Ed Parker though). These have served me well over the years (I don't get into fights every week). Also, after all these years, I am still learning about Kenpo. Learning Kenpo goes on forever.
Filipino arts arn't bad either.
Sifu

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have been practicing for many years, a form of Kenpo combined wilth elements of Aikido.

Ah, I thought your name was speaking of something akin to Nami Ryu Aiki Heiho. As in Aiki Kenjutsu.

As to the question, what ever works and you become proficient in. I personally like a fireteam or squad of my Marines behind me.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
:jaw-dropping:Let us not forget the most effective martial art there is:
Smith & Wesson.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
:jaw-dropping:Let us not forget the most effective martial art there is:
Smith & Wesson.

Absolutly. Especially when performed with a 12 guage kata.

My base is Taekwondo. Notice I said base. I do alot of boxing and JDK (at least Bruce Lee's concepts.)

I honestly feel those that truely want to be able to defend themselves need to find one art, master it, and then look around and explore what other arts have to offer.

I also feel some peoples physical attributes are better matched for partiular arts than others. Not only for their height and weight, but age and strength as well as moral and mental qualities.

But when all is said and done, a good pistol is hard to beat in the dark when welded by thoses how have trained under such conditions.

Deaf

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Indeed, you have hit all the right responses, IMO. Sometimes the best defense is to run away while other times it may be a napkin holder smash to the face.
...ohhh, that sounds mean:banghead:

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As a martial artist, I would say the best two self-defense arts are: Diplomacy, and situational awareness.

My martial art is for when the first two fail.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Indeed. In my self defense courses the first rule is "avoid". Most of us can't outrun anyone bent on a life of crime but we can be aware of what is around us and potential situations.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
A complete well rounded art that doesn't require that you pay for 20 years to
achieve any one aspect of the art,be it spiritual,or physical.

Latest Discussions