Best of all

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are some of your best moments inside the Dojaang? What made it be the end all for you?

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well one time I was sparring my grand master and I did a spinning back hook kick, held it mid strike, and came back with a round house (same leg, sort of like a hook kick/round house combo.) I gave him a black eye.

Oops... well it really wasn't a highlight except for what he said. He said that it was his fault. He took no retrubution or anything.

Now this was a Korean grand master who fought in Vietnam as a ROK.

It taught me that even when a lessor ranked or lower skilled student tags me not to think of my 'reputation' and getting even. Cause if I'm tagged, it will be my fault for not paying attention!

My teacher has no big head syndrome and neither should I.

Deaf

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know alot of GM that would be the same way, I believe this is one of the best way of being an instructor. To recognize what a student can do and not get mad about it.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember one time I was teaching doubble footed flying kicks on the heavy bag- I started off saying to pay close attention class. (haha)

I took a couple of fast steps toward the bag, and when the moment I tried to launch.... I had enough momentum going to make the kick a high one, but I slipped just enough to become horizontal at close to head level and fell flat on my side.

My students were paralized by silence and dismay at witnissing thier instructors mis fortune.

As I am getting up from my fall, I decide to use this as a teaching lesson.

So I say...God has a unique way of keeping us all humble. Then, the famous- If you fall you get right back up and try it again.

That was the first time i had ever "bit it" in front of students.
It was a great lesson for me personally. It also proved to my students no matter how much training and talent you have, Stuff Happens.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kwanjang,

Whenever a student does a kick and ends up on the mat cuase he pulled his supporting leg out from underneath himself, I tell them I've fallen many times and if you have never fallen in life, then you probably never have done anything either. It's part of the price you pay to learn. No shame in it at all.

Deaf

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not spilling coffee on my dobak during class. HEY!!!!!! Don't laugh, one of these days you will be my age and this if an extremely important skill.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not spilling coffee on my dobak during class. HEY!!!!!! Don't laugh, one of these days you will be my age and this if an extremely important skill.

Now was that while standing still or performing a technique? If you can hold you coffee and not get it on your dobak while even doing a sidekick, I would be impressed. Then again, I have a hard time chewing gum and walking at the same time. Sometimes I have to ask myself how the hell I became a yudanja.

Latest Discussions