Best kicks for average folks

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am staying he
You ever done TKD?

Actually yes I did in High School but QUIT. I also tried Kung FU and QUIT.
I did do only 6 months of Boxing in College . The coach was good at teaching you how to punch but terrible at strategy

KF was utterly ridiculous and I quit
TKD- All I remember was outdated punches and trying to do a Crescent kick that I did think much of

At least Okinawa Style seems more realistic.

I did get plenty of open hand strikes from KRAV such as Knife hand, Ridge, Hammer and Palm
I learned my back fist strikes off the internet and I love that one

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually yes I did in High School but QUIT. I also tried Kung FU and QUIT.

No comment needed.

I did do only 6 months of Boxing in College . The coach was good at teaching you how to punch but terrible at strategy

Coach's fault again. :rolleyes:

KF was utterly ridiculous and I quit
TKD- All I remember was outdated punches and trying to do a Crescent kick that I did think much of

I assume KF is meant to be Kung Fu, how long did it take for you to decide it was ridiculous?

Explain 'outdated' punches. You do know that many MMA fighters started off in TKD and use those punches very effieciently? They also use a crescent kick too, can make a nice KO. There's crescent kicks, as you know, in Muay Thai, our fighters go to Fairtex in Thailand and certainly learn there if they don't know them already. Same with the 'outdated' punches.

The worse thing about being a beginner is not having any perspective, knowledge or experience to judge a martial art. it's something easily remedied, start with an empty cup, listen, practice, practice and then practice some more.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
No comment needed.

Coach's fault again. :rolleyes:

I assume KF is meant to be Kung Fu, how long did it take for you to decide it was ridiculous?

Explain 'outdated' punches. You do know that many MMA fighters started off in TKD and use those punches very effieciently? They also use a crescent kick too, can make a nice KO. There's crescent kicks, as you know, in Muay Thai, our fighters go to Fairtex in Thailand and certainly learn there if they don't know them already. Same with the 'outdated' punches.

The worse thing about being a beginner is not having any perspective, knowledge or experience to judge a martial art. it's something easily remedied, start with an empty cup, listen, practice, practice and then practice some more.

I know your a beginner and its hard to relate to you.. VERY HARD.. Keep at it and you wont be a beginner forever

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Reverse punches are vastly inferior to modern day Boxing punches , for example

I did KF only for 3 months and QUIT. It was terrible.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just don't learn do you

Your reply
I am placing you on iggy
Bye

Iggy? what on earth are you talking about? How old are you actually?

Have you any idea what you are coming across as? You quit training in different styles because you thought you know more than the instructors, you slag off styles you know nothing about and then continue to think this site is a place where you can slag off the posters too.
It's quite clear by now you are here to troll not engage in conversation and discussion.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Your reply

Iggy? what on earth are you talking about? How old are you actually?

Have you any idea what you are coming across as? You quit training in different styles because you thought you know more than the instructors, you slag off styles you know nothing about and then continue to think this site is a place where you can slag off the posters too.
It's quite clear by now you are here to troll not engage in conversation and discussion.

I came here to engage and be friendly and I train m-th !!
I only quit if I feel the style is lousy or bad instructors . I quit 2 MT gyms in 2018

I do 2 mma classes
2 BJJ classes
1 big Muay Thai class

I am sure I train more than any 44 yr old guy

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My Krav coaches were excellent but I stayed too long !!!

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If people are combative to me I will iggy them as I don’t come here for negativity

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I only quit if I feel the style is lousy or bad instructors . I quit 2 MT gyms in 2018

I do 2 mma classes
2 BJJ classes
1 big Muay Thai class

You really don't.

So all of those gyms are bad and have bad coaches.....nah not buying that

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
If people are combative to me I will iggy them as I don’t come here for negativity
No one is being "combative" this is a discussion page if you don't want a discussion why are you here? Is it for a pat on the back about how great it is how much you traIn? Not going to happen here

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I do 2 mma classes
2 BJJ classes
1 big Muay Thai class

What is m-th?

By what criteria do you judge a style 'lousy'? It looks like you quit if you find it too hard or aren't instantly good at it. While there are undoubtedly bad gyms around it seems you are extraordinarily unlucky to go to all of them.
Take your boxing training, how do you know your coach was bad at 'tactics', you were only there for 6 months.
You say 'reverse' punches are outdated, a strange word to use, do you actually know how to use a reverse punch or are you judging purely on what you think you see? You know reverse punches are used both in MT and MMA as well as boxing right? Do you not consider if you had more patience and training you would have understood more, everyone has to do basics before moving on but you don't stay to learn the basics instead considering it 'rubbish' and looking for the next instant gratification. The fact you consider your opinion to be the final word on styles is an indication of your lack of knowledge.
As for training more than any 44 year old, I very much doubt that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been actively training as a Karate black belt for forty six years....so far. I believe karate needs to be updated as well. The world has changed, life has changed, Karate should change as well.

Whatta' think of them apples?
I think all MA need updating. Constantly. My issue is with the blanket statements that include hints and/or details that demonstrate a lack of understanding of the topic. It'd be like me saying France needs to update its government. I may be right by accident, but I know next to nothing about that government, so my assertion is based on nothing real.

Latest Discussions