Best Gi

OP
fnorfurfoot

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. I have noticed that most of the suggestions mention brushed cotton gis. I have never tried one before. Would it be safe to say that no matter who makes the gi, a brushed cotton one would be more comfortable that a standard gi?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. I have noticed that most of the suggestions mention brushed cotton gis. I have never tried one before. Would it be safe to say that no matter who makes the gi, a brushed cotton one would be more comfortable that a standard gi?
Yes. The cotton breaths, but you have to hang dry it. Plus it feels better on your skin, least it does for me. If you don't get the brushed cotton ones, they might be a little scratchy at first, but after use and washing it'll go away.

Jeff

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ pretty much hit it on the nose.

All gi's will get more comfortable with some wear and use. However, brushed cotton gi's will feel much better initially, and to me, the perspiration gets wicked away a wee bit more quickly.

Just as a comparison, I've owned both a Kamikaze America (14 oz, standard canvas) uniform, and a Kamikaze Monarch (14 oz, brushed cotton canvas). The America felt as stiff as a board when I first got it, and that it was rather scratchy, until several washings. The Monarch was comfortable from the start.

shima

K3NPO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reviving an ancient thread. I really like the latest generation iron man tops (13oz) with the gusseted inseam and armpit and the wrinkle free fabric, it just feels really great. I have 2, but they've been out of the black top only ones for a while and I really want to get another high quality top. I was considering the Hayashi, but curious everyone else's current (+15 years) preferences as some of these have changed in quality since this thread originally started :)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reviving an ancient thread. I really like the latest generation iron man tops (13oz) with the gusseted inseam and armpit and the wrinkle free fabric, it just feels really great. I have 2, but they've been out of the black top only ones for a while and I really want to get another high quality top. I was considering the Hayashi, but curious everyone else's current (+15 years) preferences as some of these have changed in quality since this thread originally started :)
TKD guy here. The Adidas GM is by far the most comfortable uniform I have ever worn.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tie dye.

Attachments

• 20210116_103438.jpg
    20210116_103438.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 44