How many people do you think you can "handle"?

How many people do you think you can handle in a fight?

• 5 or more...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This thread is about multiple attackers and about how well you think your art can deal with multiples. How many people do you think that you can "handle" at once? How does your art prepare you for this?

As far as attackers go, I want people to imagine the average ability AND COMMITTED bad guy.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, that's a toughy.

There are just too many variables to really make a good judgment on that. Terrain, positioning, whether or not I'm armed, and more. Gonna pass on this poll, sorry.

Jeff

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no 0?!?!?....I'll be honest, EPAK does train for multiple attackers and just one on one, but I know my strength in MA is in the precision of things like the forms/katas or demo-ing techniques. I honestly think in a real life situation, that in all probability I might make hurting me more painful than an attack on an untrained person, but I have little belief I would "win". That said, a) if I am fighting for my life, god help you, b) I will never give up and c) I don't think anyone truly knows how they will react to a given hostile situation until they are smack dab in the middle of it, I don't think until that point you would know how you will react, no matter how skilled you are.

My assumptions are based upon a non-gun attack, if someone shoots me from 30 feet away, none of the training in the world will help me much....

born_fighting

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I cant remember who said it, but they said fighting more then one attacker is like fighting one oponent, you just have to destroy them and have a killer mind set to go with it. kenpo has fast destroying techneques great for the 5 second victory. you can see the best display of kenpo destroying more then one oponent in the move "Perfect weapon". Speakman is awasome as he folows the ruels, 1> cant breath cant fight. 2> cant see cant fight and 3> cant stand cant fight. he suckers them in and then he becomes the aggressor. so in theory i can take out 100 utrained men. in reality i would run out of energy. (lol i bet i would get at least 2 of the buggers.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
This thread is about multiple attackers and about how well you think your art can deal with multiples. How many people do you think that you can "handle" at once? How does your art prepare you for this?

As far as attackers go, I want people to imagine the average ability AND COMMITTED bad guy.

Well, need more parameters for this one...are you armed? got a machine gun and these guys have none? Are they all jumping on you at the same time? are they armed and you not armed? unarmed vs unarmed?

Like Ping, I like the option of 0 LOL

I've contemplated this question frequently. It really depends on a large number of variables...

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hmm... although I agree with Jeff about the plethora of variables... I still went ahead and voted 2...

Why?

Well, basically, been there... done that!

Managing two people was enough back then... and three would've been a stretch... as I came out with a bad knee with only two... although, from the sounds of the "fight"... I'd have to guess they were worse off than I...

Honestly, I didn't stick around for the dust to settle... and to see who the boys in blue might want to cuff up... I just rolled!

Handle three or more? Hmm... maybe (and I do mean MAYBE)! Perhaps if the first two hadn't been screaming so loud (broken and/or dislocated jaw & a destroyed knee)... then I could've concentrated better! :angel:

Interesting thread though! It'll be interesting to see how it pans out!

Best Regards,

Andy

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i said 4 because of a situation i had at a bar where i was employed.......the guys were average ability (really) and it didnt take long to take the commitment out of their attack.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well when I was younger say around 15-20 and then in my thirties around8-12 know I can probaly handle one in the entire night.

Damm I thought we was talking Beers here sorry.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would have to go with Jeff on this as well. Kenpo has a number of multi man attacks in the system, however, we should ultimately fall back on the ideas that are in those techs. I think that doing your best to position the attackers and possibly use one as a shield against the others is also another option.

Now, the use of a weapon would increase your odds as well. IMO, the best way to prep for this would be to run scenario drills. Better to make the mistakes and see what works and what doesn't in the training hall, rather than outside. :)

Mike

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Once, long ago I've handled more than 9 attackers at once... yes 9... a gang of kids (14- 17 yr. olds big ones too) chased me and a friend through St. Louis streets to our hotel, I was cut off from the front door and couldn't find the side entrances (that were unlocked)... I was cornered and managed to put my back to the wall with them in a half circle around me... I physically fought three off of me as the others were there to just keep me from escaping, then the doorman came out and ran the kids off ... him and the sound of several sirens from arriving police. :D

God, hope I NEVER go through that crap again ... ever.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have handled 2 in the past without too much trouble. Could possibly do it wih 3. 4 dedicated attackers would be extremely difficult.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For all of you who asked for clarification, there is none. Assume what you will. Anyone can have a knife or a gun, how would you know...

For myself, I was kicking myself when I put down the options. I should have included a 0 and I wish that I would have included 1-2 because that is what I would have picked. Any more then two or depending on the right two, fleeing would be my first option. Heck, depending on the right one, fleeing would be preferrable! I suppose I could "handle" more if they were just yahoos, but I just can't assume that on the street.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
One guy I spoke with worked as a bouncer. He frequently dealt with several attackers. He found that if he pops the "loud mouth", the "leader" of the group, most of the others lost heart fairly quickly. While not having to "beat" 4/5 people, effectively dealing with one often resolves the situation...

I'm guessing it strongly depends on the situation, and if they are all dedicated, it would be difficult to defeat that many...

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just hope I never have to find out the amount that I cannot handle!

Exactly what I was thinking. Must be us Michigan boys think alike. LOL I know my location says Northern Maine, but I was born and raised in West Michigan. Reminds me of Ron Whites routine where he says he dosen't know how many it would take to kick his butt, but he knows how many they were going to use.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking. Must be us Michigan boys think alike. LOL I know my location says Northern Maine, but I was born and raised in West Michigan. Reminds me of Ron Whites routine where he says he dosen't know how many it would take to kick his butt, but he knows how many they were going to use.

Yes that definately is funny when he is telling that particular story! :rofl:

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know(I don't think that I want to, either)
However, if the wife and kids were involved...The entire state of Pennsylvania...

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
I honestly dont know, and hope I never have to find out. I know if it came to the crunch I at least have a bit more knowledge now than I did pre- martial arts.

Latest Discussions