Got any tips for me?

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I think I'm going to start competing. So I (being a COMPLETE newbie at this) need to know what a first-timer should expect? Or tips/ things I SHOULD know before I compete.
I just don't want to make an idiot of myself.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What will you compete in? Kata or sparring?

- Ceicei

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also what type of event open, point Olympic, or freestyle sparring?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably poomse. I kind of suck at sparring.

One thing that the judges will or should be looking for is good form. How are your stances? How are your strikes, blocks and power? If any of those are lacking, that will effect your outcome in the event. When entering the ring and approaching the judges, be sure to speak clear and loud enough so they can hear you, when you're telling them what form you'll be doing. Make sure you're making eye contact with all of them.

Pick a form that you feel comfortable with and drill it over and over and over. Have someone watch you to critique you. You also may want to video tape yourself. When running through the form, break it down move by move. Do each move, with a pause, so you can check out your stance, etc. and then go onto the next part, repeating the process.

One thing to remember when you start competing, is to have fun. Use each event as a learning experience. With every event you enter, you'll have that much more exp.

Good luck! :)

Mike

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS has some great suggestions, so I'm not going to repeat any of those - but I am going to add a couple of things.

Make sure you are aware of the format of the competition. Some competitions allow you to choose which form you will demonstrate; others will choose for you. Some will have you do both - one of your choice, and one of theirs. Certainly, you should have a form you are comfortable and familiar with - but be prepared for the possibility that you may have to do something else.

Be familiar with the layout of the competition space. This is generally consistent in size and orientation, but different facilities may have different flooring - wood, rubber, etc. - that can affect your performance. If at all possible, practice on that surface before the day of competition as much as possible. A difference in surface can throw off your balance, especially if your feet slide noticeably more or less on the competition surface than on the one you usually practice on.

Find the rules for competition, and learn what the scoring criteria are. Talk to some referees/judges, and find out what they look for - what things impress them, and what things really lower scores.

Have people familiar with the competition criteria watch you and offer feedback. Constructive criticism can really improve your performance.

Good luck!

kanjc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I think I'm going to start competing. So I (being a COMPLETE newbie at this) need to know what a first-timer should expect? Or tips/ things I SHOULD know before I compete.

Dont' worry about making an idiot out of yourself. I found that you train, formulate a plan and style (for sparring) and as soon as that hand drops and you start fighting it all comes down to what you know and instinct. I went into my first few tourneys with battle plans and forgot them all the first time a round kick came at my head. Good luck though they are a lot of fun, when I can't compete I go as a judge or referee.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am sure you will get many great tips, but one that I tell my students is to not "fall out of" your kicks. I see to many new competitors fail to re-chamber their kicks and then step down. They leave the kick half out and look like they are off-balance. It will make a huge difference in how the judges score your form.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever type of competion it is remember to breathe! Sounds silly I know but when I stated sparring and doing kata comps I'd take a deep breath and forget to breathe after that. I got the hang of it eventually but realised it's a common poblem when starting out!

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Just GO! Do forms, sparring, breaking, whatever. Don't worry about winning or losing, or looking like an "idiot." You will survive, and everyone else will be too concerned about themselves looking like idiots to be focused on you, so just go, have fun, and learn!

Your instructor should know what tournaments are about, and should be able to prepare you, so trust your instructor. It should be the experience that you go for, not what people think of you. After many tournaments, you will be comfortable with the format, and your skill will increase. Then you can start to formulate a strategy for winning, and train harder based on your previous tournament experience. For now, just go and get the experience!

CM D.J. Eisenhart

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just GO! Do forms, sparring, breaking, whatever. Don't worry about winning or losing, or looking like an "idiot." You will survive, and everyone else will be too concerned about themselves looking like idiots to be focused on you, so just go, have fun, and learn!

Your instructor should know what tournaments are about, and should be able to prepare you, so trust your instructor. It should be the experience that you go for, not what people think of you. After many tournaments, you will be comfortable with the format, and your skill will increase. Then you can start to formulate a strategy for winning, and train harder based on your previous tournament experience. For now, just go and get the experience!

CM D.J. Eisenhart

An EXCELLENT post....

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a competitor and a referee, I can offer some tips to the beginner.

1) Focus on the sequence of your kata / poomse. The person who finishes a kata, yet makes mistakes, is going to get a higher score than someone who did not complete the kata, no matter how great the technique may be. Usually, the person who does not finish the kata will get the minimum score.

2) Be able to perform the kata without having to look around for landmarks. Many folks fall victim to being all-too-familiar with their own dojo floor, and might use landmarks such as the mirrors, the bags, etc., to keep track of where they are.

3) Try performing the kata facing different directions as well. This will go hand in hand with 2).

4) Relax and enjoy yourself! If you make mistakes, just keep moving on and finish your kata. You are there to gain experience, and familiarity.

I will emphasize this: Don't worry about making mistakes.

I have more respect for you, even if you make mistakes, since you have the courage and the initiative to step into the ring to compete, compared to the individual who isn't there at the competition (and probably sitting around at home, lounging on the couch and wasting time).

Latest Discussions