belt stripes

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why pay? Why test? Unless your style incorporates competition where matching up equivalent competitors, why have belts at all?

Because some styles teach the material in a progressive manner where earlier skills are the foundation for later skills. In cases like this, it isn't about competition, it's about organizing the curriculum. Could you do this without belts? Of course. But many schools choose to use belts for this purpose.

-Rob

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One key distinction, however, is that this is a convention that remains practical. And the other key here is that in BJJ, they are not paid for.

I paid for my tests. It didn't bother me. Color ranks were fifteen dollars, and my black belt test was a hundred. Considering that the tests were special events that occurred outside normal school hours and were officiated over by a panel of black belt instructors I don't think that's unreasonable at all. My black belt test was six hours long and had six black belt instructors with well over a hundred years of combined martial arts experience, I don't think paying two bucks an hour for their time was inappropriate.

Are there schools that push students to test and charge huge fees for belts? Sure. But that doesn't automatically mean that anyone who charges for what they do is a thief. Experts deserve to be compensated for their expertise. I appreciate that in BJJ ranking is more informal, and I don't think that makes it any less legitimate. But in the school I came up in, testing for rank was an important and intimate ritual. Different strokes.

-Rob

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some very good comments in this thread :)

When you have 500 competitors registering for an event, color of belts works as well now as it did in the late 1800s/early 1900s.

Point taken.

And the other key here is that in BJJ, they are not paid for.

Can't argue with that at all.

From Thesemindz
I paid for my tests. It didn't bother me. Color ranks were fifteen dollars, and my black belt test was a hundred. Considering that the tests were special events that occurred outside normal school hours and were officiated over by a panel of black belt instructors I don't think that's unreasonable at all. My black belt test was six hours long and had six black belt instructors with well over a hundred years of combined martial arts experience, I don't think paying two bucks an hour for their time was inappropriate.

In this circumstance I agree, it isn't inappropriate at all. Very reasonable. Much better than those places that charge $50 for a piece of tape.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why pay? Why test?
Why test? For the same reason that we take tests in school. Also, it forces the student to perform under a different kind of pressure than that of competition. Also, a test should be used to evaluate the student and to help determine where they need to be focusing on in order to progress.

As for why pay, I have made many statements on this forum to the effect that students should not be paying for colored belt tests at all. As for dan grades, I can understand a nominal fee to cover association costs and such, but really, it shouldn't go much beyond that.

I do not charge my students for kyu/geub tests.

Unless your style incorporates competition where matching up equivalent competitors, why have belts at all?
One reason is that with a large class, it helps the instructor at a glance to see who is at what level. That and some people function well with visual indicators of progress.

Another is that people expect that there are colored belts in a martial arts class.

Daniel

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have tests and we have test fees. Yellow through blue/green stripe is $25 (not to unreasonable). Green through 1st degree brown is $50 (i was a little shocked at this until i test for green and it was 5 hours long) and i believe Black and up is $100. I have been training for a little over 5 year and at only $225 for test thus far i really cant complain. There is a local school that charges WAY more than that and it is rumored that they have a $500 black belt test but they are also joked on as the local McDojo so there you go.

B

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Much better than those places that charge $50 for a piece of tape.

Off topic...this reminds me of a recent trip to the mechanic for state inspection. They wanted tocharge me $75 to diagnose my "Check Engine" light. I asked why I was paying $75 for them to hook up a lttle box to my steering column...they said "We're not charging you to hook up the box...we're charging you to read the numbers off the box."

They're not charging for the tape...they're charging for the expertise of putting the tape on the belt!

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Off topic...this reminds me of a recent trip to the mechanic for state inspection. They wanted tocharge me $75 to diagnose my "Check Engine" light. I asked why I was paying $75 for them to hook up a lttle box to my steering column...they said "We're not charging you to hook up the box...we're charging you to read the numbers off the box."

They're not charging for the tape...they're charging for the expertise of putting the tape on the belt!

That is a good way to put it.

a little more about me...

I dont mind paying the test fees especially since my instructor worked out a deal with me when i couldnt afford to train anymore. In exchange for being able to continue to train i had to clean the school...not a bad deal. Also he works BJJ with me in private for no charge. He does it more so he has a body to work with but i also get to train and learn for free.

So whats a couple $$$ over my lifetime in tests fees. Nothing in the grand scheme of things

B

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm. Why do lieutenants have one bar and a captain two on their collars? Or a sgt. with his stripes, or a corporal? Why the stars or oak cluster? I don't know. Maybe so that outsiders or newbies know who's who. I agree that everyone that trains at a certain location regularly should know where everyone is in the food chain (just like on a military base), but I also think it is helpful for those that are visiting or the new folks.

We never wore belts at all at the place where I trained except on testing day (we did not have to pay for testing) or during demos (most likely at another school) and at the occasional tournament. I can see it both ways, but think that it can be helpful. Don't much care either way, but I do think ego and/or $$$ can be a factor as well. We'll see on the mat.

James

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hmmm. Why do lieutenants have one bar and a captain two on their collars? Or a sgt. with his stripes, or a corporal? Why the stars or oak cluster? I don't know. Maybe so that outsiders or newbies know who's who. I agree that everyone that trains at a certain location regularly should know where everyone is in the food chain (just like on a military base), but I also think it is helpful for those that are visiting or the new folks.

We never wore belts at all at the place where I trained except on testing day (we did not have to pay for testing) or during demos (most likely at another school) and at the occasional tournament. I can see it both ways, but think that it can be helpful. Don't much care either way, but I do think ego and/or $$$ can be a factor as well. We'll see on the mat.

James
Nothing at all wrong with this, but not my cup of tea. I served my time in the military. :) I think I'm more of a fan of the casual heirarchy, like most clubs and schools are run, where the pecking order is informal.

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nothing at all wrong with this, but not my cup of tea. I served my time in the military. :) I think I'm more of a fan of the casual heirarchy, like most clubs and schools are run, where the pecking order is informal.

I prefer the informal as well. I was just playing devil's advocate to those who think it is silly or only serves the ego. It does have a purpose right or wrong.

I really like the way promotions are done at most BJJ outfits. Very informal. I know the way it was done while I trained BJJ. Everyone would be paired up and rolling, then all of a sudden, something would hit you or someone else in the back, or head, or whatever. You would turn to see what it was and see a new belt lying on the floor. Everyone would stop to congratulate you then go back to business as usual. Very cool. Basically, when you are ready, you get promoted. No test dates, etc. You just train & your skill speaks for itself.

Promotions happened so infrequently that it was never expected and always a special moment for the recipient of the new grade. Personally, I think this is a great way to do it. The emphasis is on the material and its application rather than on the rank itself.

James

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To me, in all honesty, this topic is like religion. It just keeps going around and around and around. Ranks are good, ranks are bad. Tests are good, tests are bad. Paying to test is good...etc, etc, etc. We can all go back and forth and make all the analogies we want and we will still get nowhere.

The only truth, in my opinion that is, is whether or not the person can handle themselves. They could have no belt or one that blinks and flashes and plays a song for all i care but if they dont have the skill to handle whatever situation comes their way than it makes no difference.

But like the old saying going: opinions are like *******s...everybody has one

B

Saki

White Belt
Reaction score
I think we might have taken this question or issue and gotten a little confused. There are belt ranks and then there is belt Stripes.
I will be the first to say that I am a bit more old fashion. Heck- I'd prefer just having white and black for belt color if a belt system is needed or wanted. The Belt color system seems to be good and works. It seems that the belt colors system solves a lot of the issues and problems.

BUT- the adding of stripes on the colored belts- is just to much to me. I have heard the arguement that "it helps me to know where they are" and this makes me think this instructor should maybe NOT be an instructor. I also have heard the "well, people need to have small victories to help they stay on path." OMG!!!! when I heard this- it almost made me laugh out loud as well as yell. What? so- an adult under rank needs to be rewarded every other week? If this doesn't water down your style.... We are adults- we should be able to go 'X' months before the next belt rank without adding 10 belt stripes with tape. ( I might be able to tolerate this with kids and I mean KIDS- once they get old enough to start understanding the value of hard work- then no more belt stripes.

I have seen schools that charge for test and ones that don't- sorta think that falls into the "contract" issue. I don't see a big issue for a small charge for the test (cover cost of new belt and other expenses)

Anyway- I still love martial arts and I invite and encourage people everyday to go visit a school and learn an art.

respectfully

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I didn't realize people paid to test. I hate tests (any and all kinds). Having to pay for it just solidifies that I'll skip tests and I have a wonderful excuse. Unless it's the difference between getting a driver's license, leaving the bunny hill and snowboardin on the black diamond or I get to do something more fun, I'm not going to voluntarily test for anything.

I think the belts are for those who feel a desire to succeed/accomplish. I don't see what's wrong with that. They'll probably push further ahead than me and enjoy that. People do what works for them.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't realize people paid to test. I hate tests (any and all kinds). Having to pay for it just solidifies that I'll skip tests and I have a wonderful excuse. Unless it's the difference between getting a driver's license, leaving the bunny hill and snowboardin on the black diamond or I get to do something more fun, I'm not going to voluntarily test for anything.

I think the belts are for those who feel a desire to succeed/accomplish. I don't see what's wrong with that. They'll probably push further ahead than me and enjoy that. People do what works for them.

Its a matter of where you Train.
In Karate for example, a White Belt wont be taught Yellow Belt Material.
So if you never Grade, youll never learn anything but White Belt Material at Low White Belt Standards.
Not all Places have you Pay for it. Just some.
And all the Tests are, is Training. Just like you normally would. Only with someone watching.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Its a matter of where you Train.
In Karate for example, a White Belt wont be taught Yellow Belt Material.
So if you never Grade, youll never learn anything but White Belt Material at Low White Belt Standards.
Not all Places have you Pay for it. Just some.
And all the Tests are, is Training. Just like you normally would. Only with someone watching.

I was always an underachiever. I'll stick around and get pretty good at things I enjoy. Adrenalin is a good reward. Dorito's are pretty good. And when you get good enough at something that it just happens naturally. I'm willing to work towards that.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, it all depends on the school. Some karate schools or TKD or other arts segregate classes by rank but many don't. All my students generally train the same material but I expect different levels of understanding based on the student's skill level.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions