belt stripes

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
i have a question, traditionally when a student gets their black belt they are then known as first dan, what i was wondering if they had one red stripe on there belt it still signifies first dan, because 2 red stripes means second dan. what do you say:asian: :karate:

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
That was the way it was done in the dojo I started at. Since moving on the dojo that I am at now does not put stripes on Black Belts.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Saki

White Belt
Reaction score
I just don't think you need any strip on your belt. A Black Belt is a Black Belt. It should be something that is "known" as to who is 1st, 2nd, 3rd or higher. If I was visiting a dojo, i'd always line up last of Black Belts untill someone asked and said I should move up the line. I sure as heck don't want strips on my Black Belt- that just seems like an ego stroke to me.

Just my opinion. So- to answer the question- in the 3 styles I have been in- NO- no one wore stripes on their Black Belt.

Heck- I think stripes on underrank are silly and not needed.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned this before here on the board; when George Matson (first American Uechi Ryu BB) was training in Okinwa, the students he trained with wore white belts. Their Karate was extremely powerful and later he learned they were all Godan (5th Dan). They just never got around to getting a BB and didn't think it would help their training if they got one. That can be applied to stripes as well. Good for the ego I suppose but doesn't make a difference in your training.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my dojo, it's only the kids who wear stripes on their belts. Adults do not, and black belts definitely do not.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think it depends entirely upon what the conventions are in both the style and the school you train.

Stripes are pretty common in BJJ, although not all schools use them. Since it's typical to keep a colored belt for a couple of years, stripes are a handy middle ground between belt promotions. Black belts for anything other than competition ranking could be considered all about ego, stripes or not. If competition isn't a part of your style, what's the point of rank at all, if not to stroke one's ego?

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The kenpo I trained in had single red stripes for the first four ranks of black, then a solid five inch red bar, then a bar and stripes for six through nine, then two solid red bars for tenth.

Stripes are no more an ego stroke than any other ranking system is. It all comes down to how and why ranks are used within the style. They aren't inherently good or bad, they just are. Some people use the red on their belts as a weapon to intimidate others, some use it to signify the amount of material they've been exposed to, some don't bother with stripes at all. Some don't bother with belts at all. I have yet to see a belt or a stripe on a belt be the difference in a physical encounter.

-Rob

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my original school, black belts are black belts. Some have stripes for degrees, some don't. Everyone knows who's who.

In my TKD school, most wear the association embroidered belt with roman numerical rank (I - V) - 5th was the highest I saw in the school and I'm not sure how the bigger wigs did it.

Third school had rank stripes on one side - white for jr bb, yellow fir teen bb, and red for adult bb (different sets of expectations).

Once I got to Kenpo, the black belt convention is as described above (red stripes and bars) worn on both sides.

When I go visiting, I wear whatever is appropriate.

Stripes do not always equal ego... Unless they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, here you get a Gold Embroided Roman Numeral Number on your Belt.
Makes sense to me.

tinker1

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thinking back, I can't recall any of my earliest teachers having anything on their belts. I didn't see anything like that until the 70's. I wonder if embroidery machines back then couldn't do karate belts?People... Americans.. Europeans... Like goals. I've trained in lots of schools and systems that didn't give belts. Wing Lam, from whom I studied northern Sil Lum back in the early 70's used to joke saying that all he had was a white belt.. Because he wore a white rope around his waist, while we, his students, all wore black sashes. Later when I ran my own school, I found goals a useful motivator for my students. Goals not only with rank are useful, but also flexibility, strength, and endurance.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Silly me. I always thought stripes (and tapes) were for commercial gain. A goal that one had to test for and the test had to be paid for.

In the Jhoon Rhee TKD I once studied, and in the Hapkido I later studied, we had colored belts, but no stripes. There were no stripes on black belts either. You just asked what a person's BB rank was.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see stripes on kyu/gup belts for children, I suppose, as a motivtional tool. An adult shouldn't need them for motivation....should they? As far as black belts, well...maybe this is just silly talk, but shouldn't a persons skill speak for their level? And if they are of an age that they can't 'do', perhaps their knowledge and teaching ability speak for itself rather than some embroidered cloth?

Seems back in the day before belts that everyone in the school knew who the teacher was and who the senior students were just by looking at them. BTW, I haven't worn a belt since 2005 and no one in my school has failed to recognize me as the teacher. ;)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Silly me. I always thought stripes (and tapes) were for commercial gain. A goal that one had to test for and the test had to be paid for.

In the Jhoon Rhee TKD I once studied, and in the Hapkido I later studied, we had colored belts, but no stripes. There were no stripes on black belts either. You just asked what a person's BB rank was.
Part of what I really like about BJJ is that there is a very specific, rational reason for the belt colors. I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that this is the same reason Kano gave belts out in the first place at the Kodokan: to match up opponents of reasonably equivalent skill/experience.

I will admit that the implication that stripes are a way of selling out rings hollow to me. Once again, it depends entirely upon the culture and norms of the style within which you train. If belt testing and rank progression is a revenue stream for the hosting school, you could have 5 colors and no stripes and I'd consider it selling out. In other words, paying for a color or paying for a stripe... what's the difference?

If your school doesn't charge fees for rank progression, you could have 100 different belt colors or stripes, and I'd see no problem with it.

How many colored belts did you have? Did you pay to test for those colored belts? What about dan testing? My understanding is that often the price goes up at black belt. Is that the case at your school?

I don't know about any other style, but at my school, which is pretty typical for BJJ, you don't test for a new belt or a new stripe. You don't pay for them, either. At the end of class every month or two, as we're lining up, Coach pulls out some athletic tape and, occasionally, a new belt.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
How many colored belts did you have? Did you pay to test for those colored belts? What about dan testing? My understanding is that often the price goes up at black belt. Is that the case at your school?

With Jhoon Rhee the progression was white, green, blue, brown, black. In Sung Moo Kwan Hapkido it was white, yellow, blue, red, black. In both, 2 each until brown/red, where it was 4, the BB.

Although I can see your point about any color belts being a cop out, why increase the amount of steps by two or more, each presumably needing another paid test? In my Hapkido, yes, there was a nominal fee for colored belt tests. At BB, there was a fee for practice test, and for actual BB test, which was normally at the Korean Hapkido Federation's headquarters in Seoul. In Jhoon Rhee's TKD I recall a test fee for colored belts. I am sure there was one for BB, but I didn't get that far.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Why pay? Why test? Unless your style incorporates competition where matching up equivalent competitors, why have belts at all?

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If competition isn't a part of your style, what's the point of rank at all, if not to stroke one's ego?

I believe this stems from Funakoshi Sensei to be honest. In 1924, Funakoshi Sensei implemented the Dan/kyu rank system. He was personal friends of Kano Jigoro Sensei and asked if he could use the system, Kano Jigoro Sensei gave his permission. This was to satisfy several Japanese requirements placed on Funakoshi Sensei i.e. establish a rank structure, uniform etc. Remember, at his time in history, Japan was extremely Imperialistic and martial. Ranks structures were ingrained in the society so it follows that it would be so in Karate as well. Competitions may have played a very small part of the requirement, but it would have been implemented regardless of competition or not. So originally at least, it was more a societal thing than ego (though ego plays a part in many things we do, including rank).

And if we're honest, ego still plays a part. If not, people would care about the color of their belt and/or number of stripes. They would be content to let their skill and/or knowledge speak for itself. Same in a competition venue, you really don't need colored belts to match people of comparative skill levels. That is taken care of during registration. Same in a school setting, students pretty much know who-is-who. I suppose I'm a bit of a throw-back on this (and many other) points. Like I mentioned, I haven't worn a belt since 2005 and even before then it was spotty at best. Same with the students. They knew who I was and I, like a good instructor, knew who they were and what level they were at.

:)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Come to think of it, Depending on your Style, couldnt Belts help to Compartmentalise when things are Taught?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I believe this stems from Funakoshi Sensei to be honest. In 1924, Funakoshi Sensei implemented the Dan/kyu rank system. He was personal friends of Kano Jigoro Sensei and asked if he could use the system, Kano Jigoro Sensei gave his permission. This was to satisfy several Japanese requirements placed on Funakoshi Sensei i.e. establish a rank structure, uniform etc. Remember, at his time in history, Japan was extremely Imperialistic and martial. Ranks structures were ingrained in the society so it follows that it would be so in Karate as well. Competitions may have played a very small part of the requirement, but it would have been implemented regardless of competition or not. So originally at least, it was more a societal thing than ego (though ego plays a part in many things we do, including rank).

And if we're honest, ego still plays a part. If not, people would care about the color of their belt and/or number of stripes. They would be content to let their skill and/or knowledge speak for itself. Same in a competition venue, you really don't need colored belts to match people of comparative skill levels. That is taken care of during registration. Same in a school setting, students pretty much know who-is-who. I suppose I'm a bit of a throw-back on this (and many other) points. Like I mentioned, I haven't worn a belt since 2005 and even before then it was spotty at best. Same with the students. They knew who I was and I, like a good instructor, knew who they were and what level they were at.

:)
I was with you until you got to the competition part. When you have 500 competitors registering for an event, color of belts works as well now as it did in the late 1800s/early 1900s. While BJJ could eliminate the belts and move to a beginner/novice/advanced/elite model such as is commonly used in sub grappling, there's a practical reason to keep them. It's the same reason they were originally developed, and there's no reason to change. It's a convention.

One key distinction, however, is that this is a convention that remains practical. And the other key here is that in BJJ, they are not paid for.

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It seems odd to me that so many people question the purpose of belts or even rank systems as a whole. People always criticize belts, sashes, stripes, etc. yet they are more often than not the ones with the "fanciest" belts. I think everyone understands that belts arent really necessary at all, but people, especially in our culture, just simply enjoy tying on their belt each class because it means something to them. We like to have physical and tangible things that represent the time and effort we put into our arts. Is it an ego thing? Maybe, but not necessarily. Is this feeling like we need to have a physical object to make us more secure about ourselves a good thing? Not really, but thats pretty much how things are today. Belts are great to hide behind when your skill and knowledge arent equal to what that belt is supposed to represent. Maybe i just woke up on the wrong side of the bed today lol

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
im indifferent about the belts. In SKK we have the traditional colors as well as some striped belts higher up to break up the ranks. the we have black belt and 1st -10th degree. I like the belts simply because its a mile marker system in my opinion but if my instructor was to do away with it i wouldnt care.

B

Latest Discussions