being creative with poomsae

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
My apologies, you are correct about palgwe 4, I know the one you are talking about now, after each jaw hitting technique. Im not sure where the others are though. Where is the one in palgwe 5? Ive just been bouncing aroung the lounge room doing palgwe 5 trying to find where it would be. I know our club has a couple of things in the palgwes that we do differently according to my instructor. Our GM has pretty much retired these days and since Ive been training I have only seen him a handful of times (other than at black belt gradings), but I believe his instructor played some part in the development of the palgwes "back in the day". My instructor once told me the name of my GM's instructor, but I cant remember it for the life of me. I remember it was an odd sounding name.

Just to put this in context for me, what forms do you practice? See if you can find out his name. I have the list of the names of all the men who created the Poomsae and have spoken with and/or trained with some of them as well.

in Palgwe oh-jang, just find the Hakdari-seogi and you will know.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just to put this in context for me, what forms do you practice? See if you can find out his name. I have the list of the names of all the men who created the Poomsae and have spoken with and/or trained with some of them as well.

in Palgwe oh-jang, just find the Hakdari-seogi and you will know.
Firstly, thanks for your help. We do the palgwe forms 1-8 as our coloured belt forms. I will definetly ask my instructor when I see him next as Im curious. I'd ask my GM but he speaks little english and I very rarely see him around anymore. Just so you know, this is very similar to the way we do palgwe 5-

Last edited by a moderator:

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Firstly, thanks for your help. We do the palgwe forms 1-8 as our coloured belt forms. I will definetly ask my instructor when I see him next as Im curious. I'd ask my GM but he speaks little english and I very rarely see him around anymore.

Also, if you can tell me what Kwan your instructor is from, I might be able to figure it out from that. Not that it matters to me personally, but technically matters to discussion, sort of. I assume you are a Dan holder? What Dan forms do you practice?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, if you can tell me what Kwan your instructor is from, I might be able to figure it out from that. Not that it matters to me personally, but technically matters to discussion, sort of. I assume you are a Dan holder? What Dan forms do you practice?
the kukkiwon ones, basically our forms are whats left over from our kukkiwon days, although someone on here told me the kukkiwon no longer accepts the palgwes as of recent times. I am doing keum gang currently to get my second dan. After all the talk on here about kwans I am very curious as to what kwan my GM is from. I have a feeling my instructor wont know what a kwan is (but I'll ask anyway), so I might have to wait until next time I see the GM in person (maybe june at my grading, otherwise it could be three more years when I go for third dan).

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the kukkiwon ones, basically our forms are whats left over from our kukkiwon days, although someone on here told me the kukkiwon no longer accepts the palgwes as of recent times. I am doing keum gang currently to get my second dan. After all the talk on here about kwans I am very curious as to what kwan my GM is from. I have a feeling my instructor wont know what a kwan is (but I'll ask anyway), so I might have to wait until next time I see the GM in person (maybe june at my grading, otherwise it could be three more years when I go for third dan).

Palgwe Poomsae are eliminated from all educational courses and Dan testing at the Kukkiwon. However, they are considered supplemental. Keumgang is certainly an interesting Poomsae. What do you think of it?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Palgwe Poomsae are eliminated from all educational courses and Dan testing at the Kukkiwon. However, they are considered supplemental. Keumgang is certainly an interesting Poomsae. What do you think of it?
I enjoy keumgang now, but initially it felt a bit awkward. At first I struggled a bit with the pattern as it was very different to the normal shape of the palgwe forms, and koryo to a lesser extent. I do like the power of keumgang, after koryo which seemed very fast and aggressive. All in all, I have found it quite challenging to get it looking and feeling right. My instructor is very big on form, and no matter how much I work on it he will always find some little thing to work on, which is what I love about form.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, if you can tell me what Kwan your instructor is from, I might be able to figure it out from that.

I already told him what his kwan is and who his kwan jang is. we already went over this.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I already told him what his kwan is and who his kwan jang is. we already went over this.
Do you remember the thread? Im not doubting you told me, I was just looking for that the other day and couldnt find it. Id be interested to know, I remember you telling me, but for the life of me cant remeber the info you gave me.

Latest Discussions