Beginner, please give tips and advice

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm at 149 pounds rn, i lost a lot of weight damn
The weight youve lost is weight that you probably want to lose. If its a concern, add lifting in to your schedule. There are also certain weight-lifting exersises that are better for fighting than others (ask your coach or one of us can probably link you to some youtube videos)

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The weight youve lost is weight that you probably want to lose. If its a concern, add lifting in to your schedule. There are also certain weight-lifting exersises that are better for fighting than others (ask your coach or one of us can probably link you to some youtube videos)
We'll have you ready for Holloway in no time.
I'm a lot faster with my punches now, I actually like my current weight, I feel a lot quicker and stronger

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Have you tried adding calories, protein, & creatine? A quality diet is most important but these should help you add weight. They are good starts. Do you have a nutritionist?
I eat very healthy, lots of healthy fats, protein, veggies, fruits and I even drink fish oil and green tea :D
I'm not even hungry during the day I always eat whenever I feel like it but I keep losing weight
and no I don't have a nutritionist, that would probably cost and I'm broke af so I do my own research on diets and foods and stuff
I don't starve myself I eat good I just don't eat enough calories to keep the weight and I really don't feel like forcing myself to eat more, I hate being full lmao
maybe creatine would be good but is it worth it to buy that stuff??

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I eat very healthy, lots of healthy fats, protein, veggies, fruits and I even drink fish oil and green tea :D
I'm not even hungry during the day I always eat whenever I feel like it but I keep losing weight
and no I don't have a nutritionist, that would probably cost and I'm broke af so I do my own research on diets and foods and stuff
I don't starve myself I eat good I just don't eat enough calories to keep the weight and I really don't feel like forcing myself to eat more, I hate being full lmao
If you are losing weight from heavy exercise creatine may be a good counter. It shouldn't hurt to buy one of the giant tubs and give it a try.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dont worry about the nutritionist haha, of youre healthy and dont have major concerns no reasson to spend the money

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
first sparring went pretty good, I landed a lot of punches and i moved a lot but at the end of third round i wanted to throw a jab to the guys stomach but it landed on his balls so we had to stop the fight
i apologised like 30 times and he said its ok but i think he was annoyed at me still... im just dumb af
second sparring I sparred with a guy that's like 6'2 and i'm only 5'9 and he just beat my *** lmao i was already knackered and i didn't breathe well because i was nervous af
after i got out of the ring some guys saw how nervous i am and they told me i did really good for first time sparring but i felt like such a loser and a b!tch after losing to the second guy
i can't say i was satisfied with today, actually it was the opposite but i won't give up i'll keep training hard
this week im just super depressed because of family and gf stuff so i think that really affected the way i sparred like i wasn't as confident as i was a week ago
the guy that beat me said i did really good but i think he was lying to make me feel better... meh...
everybody saw how nervous and stressed i was i just feel so weak right now, things are a little fked right now but i'll be okay

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
first sparring went pretty good, I landed a lot of punches and i moved a lot but at the end of third round i wanted to throw a jab to the guys stomach but it landed on his balls so we had to stop the fight
i apologised like 30 times and he said its ok but i think he was annoyed at me still... im just dumb af
second sparring I sparred with a guy that's like 6'2 and i'm only 5'9 and he just beat my *** lmao i was already knackered and i didn't breathe well because i was nervous af
after i got out of the ring some guys saw how nervous i am and they told me i did really good for first time sparring but i felt like such a loser and a b!tch after losing to the second guy
i can't say i was satisfied with today, actually it was the opposite but i won't give up i'll keep training hard
this week im just super depressed because of family and gf stuff so i think that really affected the way i sparred like i wasn't as confident as i was a week ago
the guy that beat me said i did really good but i think he was lying to make me feel better... meh...
everybody saw how nervous and stressed i was i just feel so weak right now, things are a little fked right now but i'll be okay

Hang in there.

Think of it this way;

Once you've been training there for say, 1 year, would you expect to be better than a guy that's been there 1 week?

If a guy that has been training a week can beat you after a year, that means you aren't improving. If you aren't improving, the training isn't good.

Therefore, getting your noob *** handed to you on the regs by experienced guys is what you should expect if the training is good.

Don't worry, eventually you're not the noob.

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hang in there.

Think of it this way;

Once you've been training there for say, 1 year, would you expect to be better than a guy that's been there 1 week?

If a guy that has been training a week can beat you after a year, that means you aren't improving. If you aren't improving, the training isn't good.

Therefore, getting your noob *** handed to you on the regs by experienced guys is what you should expect if the training is good.

Don't worry, eventually you're not the noob.
thanks brother, you're right

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don't need to make excuses for getting beaten. You sparred you took a beating it happens to everyone it's nothing new. That's the problem when you see sparring as something competitive you've now taken it as if you've lost something instead of thinking you've gained something which you have done you've seen your weaknesses and you can choose to act on them or not. It's your first time sparring you were never to beat everyone in the gym. Also I guarantee no one else is even thinking about the fact you got beat right now. Frankly people don't spend their Time thinking about how other guys did at sparring there's far more important things in life to worry about. I guarantee next class no ones even going to think twice about it including the sparring partner

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You don't need to make excuses for getting beaten. You sparred you took a beating it happens to everyone it's nothing new. That's the problem when you see sparring as something competitive you've now taken it as if you've lost something instead of thinking you've gained something which you have done you've seen your weaknesses and you can choose to act on them or not. It's your first time sparring you were never to beat everyone in the gym. Also I guarantee no one else is even thinking about the fact you got beat right now. Frankly people don't spend their Time thinking about how other guys did at sparring there's far more important things in life to worry about. I guarantee next class no ones even going to think twice about it including the sparring partner
thanks a lot man, reading this made me feel better

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
thanks a lot man, reading this made me feel better
We all think we're the centre of other people's thoughts. I'm guilty of it worrying about stuff like that other people are annoyed or upset over something you did when in fact they've not given it q single thought. At the end of the sparring is just sparring it's not a big deal it's just a training tool. No different to pad work. People like to big up sparring like its some super big thing that's so important....it's not sparring is there to learn skills, work your cardio and ring craft. It's not a fight it's not a match or a competition there are no winners or losers. The coach doesn't care who wins you don't get anything like a belt or grade etc for beating someone. You don't need to take sparring so seriously I never have I've never gone hard in sparring because it's pointless I've taken it easy in sparring sometimes not because of fear or anything but simply because I don't need to wreck someone and go 100% power just to make myself feel good for my own ego.

Just relax take it easy forget the idea of winning and losing think of learning. If you have a kick you want to get better at. Prioritise using that kick. Yeah you may take a few more shots because your choosing to use a weaker weapon but after that you'll have better experience using that kick. Or if you just want to practice your hands just don't throw any kicks at all. Again you may take a few shots because of it but you'll have more experience punching at the end

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We all think we're the centre of other people's thoughts. I'm guilty of it worrying about stuff like that other people are annoyed or upset over something you did when in fact they've not given it q single thought. At the end of the sparring is just sparring it's not a big deal it's just a training tool. No different to pad work. People like to big up sparring like its some super big thing that's so important....it's not sparring is there to learn skills, work your cardio and ring craft. It's not a fight it's not a match or a competition there are no winners or losers. The coach doesn't care who wins you don't get anything like a belt or grade etc for beating someone. You don't need to take sparring so seriously I never have I've never gone hard in sparring because it's pointless I've taken it easy in sparring sometimes not because of fear or anything but simply because I don't need to wreck someone and go 100% power just to make myself feel good for my own ego.

Just relax take it easy forget the idea of winning and losing think of learning. If you have a kick you want to get better at. Prioritise using that kick. Yeah you may take a few more shots because your choosing to use a weaker weapon but after that you'll have better experience using that kick. Or if you just want to practice your hands just don't throw any kicks at all. Again you may take a few shots because of it but you'll have more experience punching at the end
dude you're so right, thanks again

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Bro... WELL DONE. Seriously, that's awesome you had your first go at sparring. And yeah, it was your very FIRST time, I'm sure you did absolutely fine.

And yeah exactly what the other guys said, treat it just as a tool. I know you have a bit of competitiveness and that's fine, but I'd suggest trying to view sparring from a different viewpoint and simply as a tool to learn. The fact that the second guy 'beat' you didn't really mean he beat you, but he showed you just how good you can be down the track, and gave you an opportunity to see what you can learn and how to develop your sparring. Ain't about winning and losing ;).

You aren't a loser, OR a b!tch. Sparring will bring up all sorts of thoughts and evaluating/judging yourself, but it's just coming from you. I'm sure you did much better than you give yourself credit for!

And as for that first fight, that deeeefinitely happens hehe, don't feel bad. In one of our fight nights awhile ago I accidentally kicked one of our instructors there two or three times in the one round, I felt so darn bad, especially cos it happened more than once!! It just happens and I'm much more careful and controlled now [emoji1787].

Well done, be proud of your efforts [emoji106]

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Bro... WELL DONE. Seriously, that's awesome you had your first go at sparring. And yeah, it was your very FIRST time, I'm sure you did absolutely fine.

And yeah exactly what the other guys said, treat it just as a tool. I know you have a bit of competitiveness and that's fine, but I'd suggest trying to view sparring from a different viewpoint and simply as a tool to learn. The fact that the second guy 'beat' you didn't really mean he beat you, but he showed you just how good you can be down the track, and gave you an opportunity to see what you can learn and how to develop your sparring. Ain't about winning and losing ;).

You aren't a loser, OR a b!tch. Sparring will bring up all sorts of thoughts and evaluating/judging yourself, but it's just coming from you. I'm sure you did much better than you give yourself credit for!

And as for that first fight, that deeeefinitely happens hehe, don't feel bad. In one of our fight nights awhile ago I accidentally kicked one of our instructors there two or three times in the one round, I felt so darn bad, especially cos it happened more than once!! It just happens and I'm much more careful and controlled now [emoji1787].

Well done, be proud of your efforts [emoji106]
thanks brother

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score

All part of the game. This will not be the first time you are over classed by an opponent. MA is extremely humbling. There will always be someone better. Take sparring as learning. Where did you get hit and why. Was you guard broken down by your opponent, were you baited into something (most likely yes), how was your breathing, how was your footwork, etc........

As an example.... in BJJ at the end of every class we roll/spar..... afterwards we all get back together and discuss where we got stuck or submitted. We discuss options for improvement.

All good. I am sure you did great...... remember you are only a monthish in....

Keep training.... Keep having fun....

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
All part of the game. This will not be the first time you are over classed by an opponent. MA is extremely humbling. There will always be someone better. Take sparring as learning. Where did you get hit and why. Was you guard broken down by your opponent, were you baited into something (most likely yes), how was your breathing, how was your footwork, etc........

As an example.... in BJJ at the end of every class we roll/spar..... afterwards we all get back together and discuss where we got stuck or submitted. We discuss options for improvement.

All good. I am sure you did great...... remember you are only a monthish in....

Keep training.... Keep having fun....
thanks

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If as a new guy, w/no training and you can beat up intermediates to advanced students on your first day of sparring, then that gym probably sucks ***. You losing = signs that this is a good gym.