Beginner, please give tips and advice

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys so I bought a punching bag and I've been hitting it for about 2 months now and I thought why not post a video and ask for some tips from more experienced fighters. So please give me some constructive criticism, tips and advice.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
First off... its very brave to post a video and ask for criticism, constructive or otherwise. I will try to give you my thoughts, please take them in the constructive manner that I mean them.

First, are you training under someone? Or teaching yourself? (would just be good to know for context here)

Honestly, there is a lot to work on, so I will give you things I think you need to correct first... not a full list.

1. Your footwork. You need to do a lot of proper footwork drills. Proper footwork will effect everything... you speed, power, accuracy, balance, ability to move.... I might even suggest putting the bag away, and just working on your footwork for a while.

2. Keep your hands up. Your hands drop a ton in this video. Each kick you telegraph by dropping your hands and winding up the kick. You start your punches, by dropping the other or both hands... leaving yourself wide open.

Don't worry about putting power into the bag. Get your footwork right and keep your hands up. Then work on punching with the proper footwork and keeping your hands up. Power will come, but not like this. If you work on footwork and get your structure right... the bag will move... a lot. But, put time into the basics. And if you aren't training under someone... find someone to train you. Keep your hands up.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Try drilling simple combinations. So you have a base to work off.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
The biggest thing that stands out to me is your kicks, you're going to ruin your knees if you keep doing them like that.

The 'splash' image for the video really shows it, your foot on the floor is pointing way too much forward, and the toes on your kicking foot are pointing skyward. Like that, trying to get any horizontal force is putting strain on your knee that it's simply not designed to handle. Oh, and you're going into a slouch to compensate for the poor structure.

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The biggest thing that stands out to me is your kicks, you're going to ruin your knees if you keep doing them like that.

The 'splash' image for the video really shows it, your foot on the floor is pointing way too much forward, and the toes on your kicking foot are pointing skyward. Like that, trying to get any horizontal force is putting strain on your knee that it's simply not designed to handle. Oh, and you're going into a slouch to compensate for the poor structure.
My knees feel fine after each workout so I'm not sure about that.
First off... its very brave to post a video and ask for criticism, constructive or otherwise. I will try to give you my thoughts, please take them in the constructive manner that I mean them.

First, are you training under someone? Or teaching yourself? (would just be good to know for context here)

Honestly, there is a lot to work on, so I will give you things I think you need to correct first... not a full list.

1. Your footwork. You need to do a lot of proper footwork drills. Proper footwork will effect everything... you speed, power, accuracy, balance, ability to move.... I might even suggest putting the bag away, and just working on your footwork for a while.

2. Keep your hands up. Your hands drop a ton in this video. Each kick you telegraph by dropping your hands and winding up the kick. You start your punches, by dropping the other or both hands... leaving yourself wide open.

Don't worry about putting power into the bag. Get your footwork right and keep your hands up. Then work on punching with the proper footwork and keeping your hands up. Power will come, but not like this. If you work on footwork and get your structure right... the bag will move... a lot. But, put time into the basics. And if you aren't training under someone... find someone to train you. Keep your hands up.
I'm teaching myself I never took any classes but I'm planning to in the future. One of my friends told me I need a wider stance which maybe could improve my footwork? but honestly I hate the wide stance I prefer keeping my legs a little closer to each other. I'll also try to keep my hands up next time thanks a lot for all the tips dude!

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
My knees feel fine after each workout so I'm not sure about that.

Carry on then.

When you need a stick to walk before you're 30, don't come crying to me.

Hey, at least you'll get the parking spaces closest to the shops.

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Carry on then.

When you need a stick to walk before you're 30, don't come crying to me.

Hey, at least you'll get the parking spaces closest to the shops.
Chill out dude, can you tell me how to kick properly then? Do I turn sideways more?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chill out dude, can you tell me how to kick properly then? Do I turn sideways more?

Yes, but at the right time...

If you're going to be swinging your leg round into the kick (as it appears in the video) then bring your hips and other leg with it, so your lower half turns as one.

That way, your standing foot should end up at least 90° to the target and everything is still in line.

It's no problem to keep your shoulders a bit more square (half facing) as long as it's just your upper body, and you try to keep your back straighter.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys so I bought a punching bag and I've been hitting it for about 2 months now and I thought why not post a video and ask for some tips from more experienced fighters. So please give me some constructive criticism, tips and advice.

I am no kicking or striking expert but if you can seek out a gym or the like and get one on one input as opposed to the internet

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Bro he can but you need to actually go to a training hall/ gym/dojo and they will give you the basics then you go forward from there

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes, but at the right time...

If you're going to be swinging your leg round into the kick (as it appears in the video) then bring your hips and other leg with it, so your lower half turns as one.

That way, your standing foot should end up at least 90° to the target and everything is still in line.

It's no problem to keep your shoulders a bit more square (half facing) as long as it's just your upper body, and you try to keep your back straighter.
thanks a lot brother, I'll practice that from now on

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can't learn martial arts online, but with that said, watch this video. Your knees will thank me later.

That's one of the better videos I've seen on the subject.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If all you have had is a bag and 2 months hittingit, it is not bad at all.

BUT there is nothing indicating me you could hit a live person (distance management, timing, set up, defence...); and worse than that, you may be ‘learning’ bad habits hard to correct later.

So, please do find some instruction/instructor. It can be as little as once a week, then you practice at home what you can, it can be a skilled friend...

As for specific guidance, sorry but one could write a dissertation for each technique; and yet having people arguing about the correctness, or not, of each detail. The best way is following one instructor/school/style to start.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Kaspow. Hope you like it. :)

For a self taught, short timer, you actually look pretty good! Good for you, bro.

It might be a better idea to just concentrate on your hands for the time being. Try to pull them back to your head/chest area as they return from the bag. You're letting them drop.

Also here's a video that might help you. Some good info here.

You can look up any vids by Freddy Roache and they might be of help. Lots of other good stuff out there as well.

And that looks like a neat set up you have there. Is that down an alley?

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If all you have had is a bag and 2 months hittingit, it is not bad at all.

BUT there is nothing indicating me you could hit a live person (distance management, timing, set up, defence...); and worse than that, you may be ‘learning’ bad habits hard to correct later.

So, please do find some instruction/instructor. It can be as little as once a week, then you practice at home what you can, it can be a skilled friend...

As for specific guidance, sorry but one could write a dissertation for each technique; and yet having people arguing about the correctness, or not, of each detail. The best way is following one instructor/school/style to start.
I actually got into street fights when I was younger and I won most of them heh and as I said before I'm planning to take up kickboxing classes.

Welcome to MartialTalk, Kaspow. Hope you like it. :)

For a self taught, short timer, you actually look pretty good! Good for you, bro.

It might be a better idea to just concentrate on your hands for the time being. Try to pull them back to your head/chest area as they return from the bag. You're letting them drop.

Also here's a video that might help you. Some good info here.

You can look up any vids by Freddy Roache and they might be of help. Lots of other good stuff out there as well.

And that looks like a neat set up you have there. Is that down an alley?
I'll keep the hands advice in mind, thanks for this tip and the vid bro I'll definitely watch it. About the set up I just hang the bag in my backyard all I gotta do is walk to the back of the house :D

Latest Discussions