Become a fighting machine

moller18

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Guys! first off sorry for the silly topic name, and sorry if posted in wrong section!

Im just got started to MMA ( focus on striking, wrestling and jiu jitsu ) i do mma twice a week, and then im in the gym 4 for strength and look, for 45 -60 minutes only. I have some questions for you. The ONLY reason why i do workout beside keeping myself healthy is self defense. I have been attacked twice by a group, and stabbed one of the times. Not because of my attitude, once because i stood up for my girlfriend and the other, because i was at the wrong place at the wrong place. So now i have decide i wanna be able to defend myself, IF talking or running, aint the option. So do you guys think that mma is a good thing, together with strength training. For this purpose?

The otherside i know a important thing, of getting stronger, bigger and faster, is the diet. I eat a lot of beef and veggies, and water. Dont eat to many carbs, only around working out, im mostly eating to get my proteins.

Viking

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your going to get a lot of different opinions on this. You are going to be limited on your choices depending on what is near you. MMA is good but what else is around? It might be your best choice if there is nothing else that is close to you.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mma is better than nothing and absolutely will help you in a fight but it won't help you to defend against getting stabbed because mma is mainly a sport so it won't teach you how to defend against weapons. I'm not saying mma isn't good for self defence because it Is absolutely but it's also not a self defence tailored style mma fighters have rules. No groin kicks, no eye gouges, no hits to the back of the head, no biting etc but in a real street fight there's 0 rules and anything goes as I'm sure you're aware of.

Again I'm not saying you're training won't help you because it will help more than just sitting around doing nothing so I hope you don't see my comments as negative to your training.

Also yeah being in good shape does help for a few reasons. 1: if you look big and strong people may not try it with you (not a guarantee though but some won't) second if you get into a long fight you don't want to be out of breath quick and unable to fight. Lastly if you're in good shape and have good fitness you can run away easier and get away faster. That may sound stupid but there is no shame in running away at all I'd much rather run than get into a brawl.

Good luck with your training and welcome to martial talk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MMA will do fine.

There really isn't a safe defence against getting stabbed by the way.

OP
M

moller18

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys! thanks for the feedback. My first thought was Krav Maga, but the gyms in my city, is only teaching in the commercial part of krav maga, and not the one like they use in places like Israel. So MMA was the second best. And i wil NEVER try to use MMA against and armed guy.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys! thanks for the feedback. My first thought was Krav Maga, but the gyms in my city, is only teaching in the commercial part of krav maga, and not the one like they use in places like Israel. So MMA was the second best. And i wil NEVER try to use MMA against and armed guy.
At the end of the day anything will work some will this styles better than that style or that's useless etc but everything has its value and anythings better than nothing. Hopefully you'll never have to use it and you can just enjoy the training because to me that's the main thing anyone should look for and that's fun. Sure you want to learn to defend yourself but if you're learning how to defend yourself but hate going there you're only making your own life miserable training should never be something you think I have to do this but something you think I want to do this

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MMA will do fine.

There really isn't a safe defence against getting stabbed by the way.
Correct, in knife defense the goal isn't focused on not being stabbed or being cut, it's focused on that being critically stabbed and cut. A person that defends against a knife without getting any cuts has had a remarkable day.

If I wanted to learn self-defense then I would take something that has a self-defense focus. If the MMA that he takes doesn't have a self-defense focus then he's still not learning much. I know I'm not the only one that gets tired of saying this but there's more to self-defense than fighting.

I was recently told that what we teach in Jow Ga is too brutal and overboard. I simply smiled and said that it's self-defense and it's almost always overboard, but that's the point. It's not meant to be a sport, sometimes it's a fight for one's life.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mma is better than nothing and absolutely will help you in a fight but it won't help you to defend against getting stabbed because mma is mainly a sport so it won't teach you how to defend against weapons. I'm not saying mma isn't good for self defence because it Is absolutely but it's also not a self defence tailored style mma fighters have rules. No groin kicks, no eye gouges, no hits to the back of the head, no biting etc but in a real street fight there's 0 rules and anything goes as I'm sure you're aware of

k
Organizations such as ISR Matrix, Straight Blast Gyms and Shivworks have no problem basing their self defense programs on MMA, including weapons (gun and knives) and
LEO only courses.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Correct, in knife defense the goal isn't focused on not being stabbed or being cut, it's focused on that being critically stabbed and cut. A person that defends against a knife without getting any cuts has had a remarkable day.

If I wanted to learn self-defense then I would take something that has a self-defense focus. If the MMA that he takes doesn't have a self-defense focus then he's still not learning much. I know I'm not the only one that gets tired of saying this but there's more to self-defense than fighting.

I was recently told that what we teach in Jow Ga is too brutal and overboard. I simply smiled and said that it's self-defense and it's almost always overboard, but that's the point. It's not meant to be a sport, sometimes it's a fight for one's life.

I bet i come up with more real life examples of mma working effectively in self defence than you can come up with excuses why it doesn't.

Which begs the question where does that line of reasoning come from?

MMA fighter Monique Bastos foils robbery again

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Organizations such as ISR Matrix, Straight Blast Gyms and Shivworks have no problem basing their self defense programs on MMA, including weapons (gun and knives) and
LEO only courses.

Infantry training.
Dog brothers.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And, as we go spiraling down the rabbit hole again...

Look, there's no magic in any style or system to prepare you for self defense. The "magic" (for lack of a better term) is in the approach to your training. If you want to prepare for self defense, you need to shape your training that way. Research self defense. Learn about the types of attacks and violence that you'll likely encounter. Use that information to structure your training. The rest of it? It's really just packaging. You may find one package or another works better for you, but they can all get the job done.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I bet i come up with more real life examples of mma working effectively in self defence than you can come up with excuses why it doesn't.

Which begs the question where does that line of reasoning come from?

MMA fighter Monique Bastos foils robbery again
I never said that MMA isn't good enough for self defense. But if someone is looking for something that helps them to better defend themselves then that's where the training needs to be. If the MMA training is only sports focused and sports related then it will fail in self-defense as it does not cover any of the non-physical concepts, methods, and techniques of self-defense. Just because one MMA successfully fights of a guy with a weapon doesn't mean that someone else who knows MMA will be just successful

I can show you articles of MMA fighters who were at the top of their game still get shot by criminals, stabbed or even beaten by non-fighters. So if the MMA school doesn't have a self-defense focus that includes things like awareness, how to recognize dangers, how to de-escalate, etc., then that MMA training is going to fall short in terms of self-defense.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never said that MMA isn't good enough for self defense. But if someone is looking for something that helps them to better defend themselves then that's where the training needs to be. If the MMA training is only sports focused and sports related then it will fail in self-defense as it does not cover any of the non-physical concepts, methods, and techniques of self-defense. Just because one MMA successfully fights of a guy with a weapon doesn't mean that someone else who knows MMA will be just successful

I can show you articles of MMA fighters who were at the top of their game still get shot by criminals, stabbed or even beaten by non-fighters. So if the MMA school doesn't have a self-defense focus that includes things like awareness, how to recognize dangers, how to de-escalate, etc. then that MMA training is going to fall short in terms of self-defense.

So you have another opinion. And that is fine. How are you supporting that?

Oh look.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MMA fighter fatally stabbed
Former MMA Fighter And Instructor Wyatt Lewis Fatally Stabbed In Calgary
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/9/4/3292391/mma-wyatt-lewis-stabbed-calgary-mma-news
Here's another who was stabbed outside a pub
Former UFC fighter Dan Lauzon stabbed outside pub in Massachusetts
http://www.mmamania.com/2011/2/17/1...n-lauzon-stabbed-outside-pub-in-massachusetts
I would never teach anyone physical self-defense and give them the assumption that their skills will protect them in such a way that it's not necessary to avoid danger in the first place. There are many people who don't have MMA fighting skills who have stopped robbers and defended themselves against home invaders, attackers, and thugs. I'm not sure why people parade MMA fighters around in this light when so many people before them with less skills have use their non-MMA self-defense skills to stay safe.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Which is why you don't mess with grandmothers. You look at the methods applied and you will see what works.
MMA fighter praised as Oregon shooting hero
So you are saying that MMA help prepare him to take 5 bullets?
Teacher stopped school shooting
School Office admin talks down gunman
Female teacher stops school shooting
Student takes gun from a university shooter

None of these people were MMA fighters and none of them had MMA fighting skills.

Man in wheel chair stops robbery

Latest Discussions