Become a fighting machine

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys! thanks for the feedback. My first thought was Krav Maga, but the gyms in my city, is only teaching in the commercial part of krav maga, and not the one like they use in places like Israel. So MMA was the second best. And i wil NEVER try to use MMA against and armed guy.
The only reliable option against an armed guy is etiquette and parkour.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, bro. Sorry about all the bad things you've experienced, but you survived, maybe all that's behind you now.

Keep us posted as how you like what you're training. Sure can't hurt any. Best of luck.

OP
M

moller18

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys, well my first thought were IDF krav maga, but i cant find a krav maga gym, in my city which only teach commercial style. So i gonna stick to mma, because i thought that were the most krav maga like. The gym i train at have focus on striking, wrestling, jiu jitsu. And then i have told my instructor, that i only train for self defense, so i dont wanna practice the sport aspect, and only fighting.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Guys! first off sorry for the silly topic name, and sorry if posted in wrong section!

Im just got started to MMA ( focus on striking, wrestling and jiu jitsu ) i do mma twice a week, and then im in the gym 4 for strength and look, for 45 -60 minutes only. I have some questions for you. The ONLY reason why i do workout beside keeping myself healthy is self defense. I have been attacked twice by a group, and stabbed one of the times. Not because of my attitude, once because i stood up for my girlfriend and the other, because i was at the wrong place at the wrong place. So now i have decide i wanna be able to defend myself, IF talking or running, aint the option. So do you guys think that mma is a good thing, together with strength training. For this purpose?

The otherside i know a important thing, of getting stronger, bigger and faster, is the diet. I eat a lot of beef and veggies, and water. Dont eat to many carbs, only around working out, im mostly eating to get my proteins.

Viking
I keep rephrasing myself, as the same questions come again and again.

You have two options:

1) You go for a competitive style, which the main end is the ring/cage... (even if most of us don't go until that end) and then you (need to) do yourself the link to the self-defence situations. You will gain, eventually, good technique but you need to adapt the strategy and mindset to your end (self-defence).

2) Or you go straightforward to a self-defence system (or SD oriented martial art). You may find exactly what you are looking for (and) the good mindset, the reasonable force, the SD scenarios... or just find rubbish. Even Muay Thai and BJJ have fancy things in the curriculum (perhaps just for some training purpose), but when it comes to the competition (or just competitive sparring) you are forced to use short and 'simple' movements. That is the good technique. (Or you are Saenchai and can even apply the cartwheel kick. :) ) Without clear opposition (always for 'safety reasons') in an unpredictable environment, the technique will never be refined and ready for use (which is quite common in entitled SD stuff). When the technique is quite useful, you still need to add a good mindset (determination, stress management...)...

It is quite a choice between a good technique for a different purpose and the right purpose with the bad technique. :) But it is not a fatality. Just my personal statistic. :D

Anyway, try anything you can afford (price, distance...). And choose after.
My 50c.

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good luck defending yourself if you can't fight your way out of a paper bag.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck defending yourself if you can't fight your way out of a paper bag.

I'm somewhat puzzled as to what he's actually training, if he's not using MMA ( because it's just a sport lol) yet trains other sports such as wrestling. I'm also not sure why he thinks 'commercial' KM is so bad also why he thinks MMA is KM like but won't use it for defence. As for thinking training wrestling is fighting that too is puzzling. Striking bags is fine when bags attack you you'll be well rehearsed.
I do get fed up with people who think that if you do MMA you cannot possible be able to defend yourself because there's no referee and corners in 'da street', very shortsighted thinking.

FireSnake

White Belt
Reaction score
The otherside i know a important thing, of getting stronger, bigger and faster, is the diet. I eat a lot of beef and veggies, and water. Dont eat to many carbs, only around working out, im mostly eating to get my proteins.

First off, I am so sorry to hear that you have been attacked on a few occasions, and glad that you survived being stabbed. I can definitely understand your desire to learn self defence. You may find as you continue training that a martial art can be much more than fitness and fighting.

I wanted to weigh in here on the diet part of your message. That's fantastic about eating the veggies! Get a lot of deep greens like spinach, kale, and broccoli. You mentioned beef, but let me sound a note of caution about red meat. If you can source more of your protein from fish and poultry, it might be better health-wise. Other people may disagree, but limiting beef intake to something moderate might be better for your heart. Protein supplements are also ok if you obtain good quality ones. Diets high in protein can be a bit tougher on the kidneys, so good on you for getting a lot of water. And if you are working as hard as you say, you'll definitely be chugging back a lot more water to keep hydrated! I'm not a nutritionist, so do what works for your body's requirements. Listen to it: your body has a way of telling you when what you eat is not satisfying its needs in terms of nutrients and energy levels. Welcome to MT.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys, well my first thought were IDF krav maga, but i cant find a krav maga gym, in my city which only teach commercial style. So i gonna stick to mma, because i thought that were the most krav maga like. The gym i train at have focus on striking, wrestling, jiu jitsu. And then i have told my instructor, that i only train for self defense, so i dont wanna practice the sport aspect, and only fighting.

Mma is a sport though. You go to an mma class it's for sport. Same as when I go to kickboxing its for sport. They won't teach you what to do if someone attacks with a club or if more than 1 person attacks you because those factors aren't in the sport. Also no mma is not like Krav Maga. Krav Maga isn't like a sport. To me the closest I can think of is American kenpo. Kenpo teaches groin attacks, throat attacks, attacks to the eyes, wrist locks, grabs and chokes defence, teaches how to block takedowns and teaches takedowns and chokes and joint manipulations and teaches how to deal with weapons and multiple attacks.

Now this isn't me promoting my own style because I haven't trained kenpo In years and by all means keep training mma but you have to realise the difference between them

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Guys! first off sorry for the silly topic name, and sorry if posted in wrong section!

Im just got started to MMA ( focus on striking, wrestling and jiu jitsu ) i do mma twice a week, and then im in the gym 4 for strength and look, for 45 -60 minutes only. I have some questions for you. The ONLY reason why i do workout beside keeping myself healthy is self defense. I have been attacked twice by a group, and stabbed one of the times. Not because of my attitude, once because i stood up for my girlfriend and the other, because i was at the wrong place at the wrong place. So now i have decide i wanna be able to defend myself, IF talking or running, aint the option. So do you guys think that mma is a good thing, together with strength training. For this purpose?

Viking

Any chance you can go to MMA more than twice a week? You want to get as much sparring under your belt as you can because you need to get those reflexes engrained in your muscle memory. You need to learn how to read body language, so you can automatically pick up on what kind of attack is getting thrown. The only way to do that is to get in the ring/on the mat as much as you can.

OP
M

moller18

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys i think that i may have been giving you guys an wrong view on my opinion.

I do know that mma i a sport, and that for self defense, the best aspect would be a self defense sport/class whatever. BUT we only have one krav mage gym around, and to me it doesnt seem that serious, and i have been taking a look at the instructors ceritifications, and all of them is achieved over a weekend, which to me seems abit odd. So i thought in a self defense aspect, it would be good to learn to defend yourself in all angles, also on the ground if you should end up there. But the ground rules on self defense is 1: Talk 2: Run 3: run faster 4: Fight/defend 5: dont end up on the ground. And it seems some guys think im sitting here talking down on one sport over the others, i dont. I just thought i would take the second best to krav maga in my opinion. And sure i spar, i wouldnt go to a krav maga class, who doesnt spar either.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a self defense sport/

Self defence isn't really a sport.

i have been taking a look at the instructors ceritifications, and all of them is achieved over a weekend, which to me seems abit odd

That can depend on what other qualifications the instructors have. A lot of people already have qualifications in other effective styles and take a KM one just to take the classes. We don't train KM per se but much of what they do is also done in other styles so we know a lot of what is done. The best way to actually tell how good they are is to take a class. They may be rubbish but they may well not be.

For self defence you need more than techniques you need a mindset, have a look at stuff from Geoff Thompson especially 'The Fence'. Peter Consterdine's work is good as is Kevin O'Hagan and Mo Teague.

OP
M

moller18

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Tez3 you are right. I will take that you consideration.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin's note:

Folks, I'm going to ask y'all that things be kept civil here. If you do not like someone, then feel free to use the "ignore" feature that is part of the Xenforo software.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
duplicate post, nothing to see here :)

Last edited:

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Whilst MMA will of course teach you to throw a good punch (and many other things of course) if your experiences have so far been of being atatcked by groups, then you will need to find some other way training that seperatly, as MMA doesn't generally teach you to deal with multiple attackers.

Last edited:

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The only reliable option against an armed guy is etiquette and parkour.
So you wouldn't consider Threat Awareness & Evaluation, and Target Hardening are of any use?

Last edited: