Beaten by a white belt.

Jlf93

White Belt
Reaction score
Let me start off I have no issues with being beaten by a white belt.

but it’s a mixture of how I evaluate my game and something one of the black belts said.

I soared with a new white belt the other day. He has been at the gym for about two months or so. His background is mainly striking. However, I had never rolled with him before.

when we stayed I thought I would go easy as he’s new, but he came steamrolling forward, through me completely of guard. The next minute he has me in top mount, I know I went wrong by focusing on just powering him off. I should have used escapes, however, I went blank. I then rolled into turtle and let him have my back. My defence from back takes is good, I usually get side control. However he managed to transition into a armbar attempt, I thought I got out of it, but he was hanging on for life. While my coaches in the background saying come on his a white belt.
Which I won't lie annoyed me, next minute he gets the tap respect to him, the rest of the round was me fighting off a triangle attempt.

As you can imagine I was quite annoyed about the roll, also my coaches after saying he's a white belt I tapped him seven times etc. when I rolled with this guy, I said to him you've done nogi before this or something and he just smiled. Whether he did or not is unknown he new to the gym. However is it possible for someone to pick BJJ up that quickly, I'm a 2 stripe blue belt and just feel a bit down after this. He out paced which I know my cardio isn't the best. He has been training GI and No GI at least 2/3 times a day 5 days a week for the last two months alongside 121 with one of our black belt. He's had a few armature MMA fights and undefeated. He is good, but not sure where I should go from here. I will roll with him again, with more focus this time. But after my coaches where saying he's a white belt no stripe how did you let that happen and my other coach, this is why I kept saying to you. You use pressure a lot. Need to be more technical, I admit after that comment months back, I have been more technical just kid of annoyed me.

OP
J

Jlf93

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you think that's a good idea? How do you avoid your opponent from

- punching on the back of your head, or
- choking on your neck?
In BJJ there are no punches to the back of the head or any striking. I mentioned that is his background.

my defence is good for back defence. I can rarely get tapped unless it’s by a black belt and few brown belts at my gym have managed but with that level I don’t give my back to them. Only with my conterparts or lower level I do occasionally purple belts I will.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score

but it’s a mixture of how I evaluate my game and something one of the black belts said.

I soared with a new white belt the other day. He has been at the gym for about two months or so. His background is mainly striking. However, I had never rolled with him before.

when we stayed I thought I would go easy as he’s new, but he came steamrolling forward, through me completely of guard. The next minute he has me in top mount, I know I went wrong by focusing on just powering him off. I should have used escapes, however, I went blank. I then rolled into turtle and let him have my back. My defence from back takes is good, I usually get side control. However he managed to transition into a armbar attempt, I thought I got out of it, but he was hanging on for life. While my coaches in the background saying come on his a white belt.
Which I won't lie annoyed me, next minute he gets the tap respect to him, the rest of the round was me fighting off a triangle attempt.

As you can imagine I was quite annoyed about the roll, also my coaches after saying he's a white belt I tapped him seven times etc. when I rolled with this guy, I said to him you've done nogi before this or something and he just smiled. Whether he did or not is unknown he new to the gym. However is it possible for someone to pick BJJ up that quickly, I'm a 2 stripe blue belt and just feel a bit down after this. He out paced which I know my cardio isn't the best. He has been training GI and No GI at least 2/3 times a day 5 days a week for the last two months alongside 121 with one of our black belt. He's had a few armature MMA fights and undefeated. He is good, but not sure where I should go from here. I will roll with him again, with more focus this time. But after my coaches where saying he's a white belt no stripe how did you let that happen and my other coach, this is why I kept saying to you. You use pressure a lot. Need to be more technical, I admit after that comment months back, I have been more technical just kid of annoyed me.

This can happen sometimes. With some people if you underestimate them and go easy then they will go 100% with a lot of strength, athleticism etc and you can get steamrollered
This is a mindset thing not a technical thing
Also bear in mind that each belt only buys you the equivalent advantage of say 10 years age or 5kg
And if they have no gi or MMA experience then that counts so their belt doesn’t reflect their ability

A good coach should be helping you navigate this

The answer to my mind is to forget the belt difference and roll with him more often until you can hold your own (or better)

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A belt doesn’t always reflect experience. A collegiate wrestler walking into a Bjj school probably has as much grappling experience as a brown or black belt. As a purple belt I’ve been tapped by plenty of white and blue belts. Sometimes they’re competitors, sometimes I screw up and they get the tap, sometimes they’re people who are simply better than me. It happens.

Rolling is not a competition or a dick measuring contest. It’s supposed to be an excercise where you practice and experiment in an effort to improve your skills. Hence why I dislike your coaches teasing you while you’re rolling. That kind of silliness simply breeds animosity and is highly immature. Just cause you get submitted by someone with a different color fabric around their waist doesn’t mean you suck or that your training time has been wasted.

Then again you’re in a MMA gym, so them acting that way kind of makes sense.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you think that's a good idea? How do you avoid your opponent from

- punching on the back of your head, or
- choking on your neck?

I think @Jlf93 was just trying to make things easier for a newer student.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just eat humble pie...make sure you up your game next time. Only time it would bother me is if he was an arrogant *******. Also remember you wrote he's been training with a black Belt and has some fights before. Start working on your cardio now. Learn from it.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

So I started in Modern Arnis. The school had Yellow then Blue then Green 1 & 2.
Most of my Friends and instructors had also trained in TKD or TSD.

So have I had my blue belt with red pants and crossed American and Filipino Flags on the Top, I went with a friend to get some training for him for a Black belt he had been putting off for years. He was doing it because he respected the top (local) Master who was pushing him to complete it.

It was a Saturday and it was called an "Open" work out.
I asked if I should wear my white belt or my Blue belt.
My Friend and also instructor in Modern Arnis said the Blue as it is an "OPEN" event. (* Quotes are my foreshadowing *)

He gets dragged off to a different smaller gym area while I am left with 75 - 100 or so people in a room.
The call people to attention and ask them to line.
I see they are lined up according to rank.
I lined up at the very end as I had no rank in TKD.

The Black belt (3rd degree) kept saying adjust your ranks, until someone yelled at me to get in line with the TKD Blue Belts.
TKD Yellow, Yellow Green Stripe, Green, Green, Blue Stripe, Blue, Blue red stripe, Red, red Black Stripe.

Then they have us break out into color belt areas and work on forms. I didn't and still don't know TKD Forms.
So I was sent back to work with the white belts, and just practice some blocking and punching.

Then the next topic came up, and it was one steps. I got the concept real quick and they moved me up to the Blue Belts thinking my style of TKD just didn't do their forms.

I was 20 years old. 6'3" and about 230 lbs, I didn't look fat, I look like I could loose 5 to 10 pounds max, if that.
they put me with the other adult Blue Belts.

They attacked full contact no holding back.
So I did the same assuming was the way it was done.
The rotation got more angry as time went by they tried a leg sweep.
I did Arm Bar take downs and hand throws on them.
Aa first degree came down and said I am moving you to the Blue Belt Red Stripes.

Now the Red Stripes were not going to have no Blue belt who just looked like he beat up the other blue belts, (when I was making sure I didn't get hurt and following level and intensity of training) was going to beat them up or show them.
It proceeded the same way and within a few minutes I was moved up to the red belts.

One steps and three steps and then actual Sparring.
I got my gear, I went soft and touch .
I got nailed and smiled and said ok.
I returned the contact level.
The next guy came out swinging and tried some low line kicks to high line for the knock out and also leg sweeps and some spin kicks.
I kicked him in the groin with a scoop front kick as he was turning. He went down.
Next guy even more angry and I am trying to say guys I am only defending myself, please stop.
and after his third attempt to take my knee out, I arm barred him face down to the floor.

Once again moved to the Black belts now.
See above - as it was me struggling and trying not get hurt and be able to drive the hour home and work that night.

Moved to the only 2nd degree there. I called him an old guy ( He might have been +/- 5 years of my current age of 55 ).
He said is it possible to have no touch to the head, and to have very light touch contact to the body only hip to shoulders.
I bowed and said Yes Sir.
I enjoyed the workout and the training and exchange.
He asked me if my Blue Belt was a Black Belt Rank, I said no. I explained where it was. He was surprised.
I said, but I bounce and have street fought bullies who though taking out the big guy would make them look good.

I was then rotated up to the third.
He said he had plans to clean my clock until he saw how I responded to the 2nd degree. With control and respect as I was asked and given. I explained this to him and he looked down the lines and frowned.

We sparred and it was fun and educational with the second degree sparring made the day not a waste.

The Fourth sparred me next. and he said, he heard what I said to the 2nd and 3rd, and that he would be addressing it.
Your uniform was different. (* This was in the second half of the 80's *) and different flags and you even tried to line up with the white belts. The process will change to ask if there are people from different systems and organizations here first.

Then I proceeded to get my metaphorical but kicked, as he could place his kicks where he wanted when he wanted with control and not hurting me.

So, From that I learned that I should have worn my white belt, and I have a white belt with me if I travel and check out a school or get invited but not invited by owner or one of the instructors.

Later in 95-96 I was invited to a JJJ school by one of the black belts.
I was dressed and in the changing/locker room and the person who invited me hadn't shown up.
I started to get undressed when the school owner / instructor walked thru and said to join, and I explained
he said to come out anyways. So I wore my White Belt.

He paired me up with a couple of black belts to work with me.
One of the first techniques was supposed to be a choke.
I tapped. He didn't stop.
I said Stop.
He didn't Stop.

The other guy was laughing and the both said you will pass out.

So I finger jabbed him in the throat, he posted up , I shrimped out while doing a wrist lock on his left wrist.
I said this is the choke , This is the strangulation, and this is what you are doing - trying to break my neck.

I did it from his guard not mount like it was instructed to do.

He was tapping on all three, and I said it is scary when the person is hurting you and they won't stop when you tap.
And you are going to kill or paralyze someone.

I release and stand up and the school owner had missed it all.
There was a large class probably 80+ people.

I bowed and said, "permission to leave, Sir?".
He was surprised and the two behind me started to get up and I said I am leaving and you are between me and the door.
He told the other two to go to a corner and train and

We chatted and I explained what happened.
He had me go work with a giant of a man. He was 6'9" and I could not straddle his chest with my legs even on tip toe.
So, we worked on the technique from side control.
I also explained that even from side he just has to lead forward and as they exhale lean more.
I almost went out as he had troubles getting back up off me.
I explained this to him so he knew he could use it and also that he could do it accidentally and to avoid injuring a partner.
At the break, I went to the locker room changed and Left.

Everyone was surprised that a white belt was able to do and teach the stuff I did.

I have no formal BJJ, JJJ training.
I do have some Small Circle JJ Training with my Modern Arnis and the of course the Dumog (Wrestling / JJ ).

So, my point is the person might have training from another BJJ or JJJ or College wrestling or other culture or ...
and with constant training in a couple of months taken their natural abilities, and their previous training and are able to apply it within
the framework or your school.

Good Luck with your training - I hope this helped you understand that there is no right answer to previous training and belts.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score

So have I had my blue belt with red pants and crossed American and Filipino Flags on the Top, I went with a friend to get some training for him for a Black belt he had been putting off for years. He was doing it because he respected the top (local) Master who was pushing him to complete it.

My Friend and also instructor in Modern Arnis said the Blue as it is an "OPEN" event. (* Quotes are my foreshadowing *)

He gets dragged off to a different smaller gym area while I am left with 75 - 100 or so people in a room.

The Black belt (3rd degree) kept saying adjust your ranks, until someone yelled at me to get in line with the TKD Blue Belts.
TKD Yellow, Yellow Green Stripe, Green, Green, Blue Stripe, Blue, Blue red stripe, Red, red Black Stripe.

Then they have us break out into color belt areas and work on forms. I didn't and still don't know TKD Forms.
So I was sent back to work with the white belts, and just practice some blocking and punching.

Then the next topic came up, and it was one steps. I got the concept real quick and they moved me up to the Blue Belts thinking my style of TKD just didn't do their forms.

I was 20 years old. 6'3" and about 230 lbs, I didn't look fat, I look like I could loose 5 to 10 pounds max, if that.

Aa first degree came down and said I am moving you to the Blue Belt Red Stripes.

Now the Red Stripes were not going to have no Blue belt who just looked like he beat up the other blue belts, (when I was making sure I didn't get hurt and following level and intensity of training) was going to beat them up or show them.
It proceeded the same way and within a few minutes I was moved up to the red belts.

The next guy came out swinging and tried some low line kicks to high line for the knock out and also leg sweeps and some spin kicks.
I kicked him in the groin with a scoop front kick as he was turning. He went down.
Next guy even more angry and I am trying to say guys I am only defending myself, please stop.
and after his third attempt to take my knee out, I arm barred him face down to the floor.

See above - as it was me struggling and trying not get hurt and be able to drive the hour home and work that night.

Moved to the only 2nd degree there. I called him an old guy ( He might have been +/- 5 years of my current age of 55 ).
He said is it possible to have no touch to the head, and to have very light touch contact to the body only hip to shoulders.
He asked me if my Blue Belt was a Black Belt Rank, I said no. I explained where it was. He was surprised.
I said, but I bounce and have street fought bullies who though taking out the big guy would make them look good.

He said he had plans to clean my clock until he saw how I responded to the 2nd degree. With control and respect as I was asked and given. I explained this to him and he looked down the lines and frowned.

We sparred and it was fun and educational with the second degree sparring made the day not a waste.

The Fourth sparred me next. and he said, he heard what I said to the 2nd and 3rd, and that he would be addressing it.
Your uniform was different. (* This was in the second half of the 80's *) and different flags and you even tried to line up with the white belts. The process will change to ask if there are people from different systems and organizations here first.

Then I proceeded to get my metaphorical but kicked, as he could place his kicks where he wanted when he wanted with control and not hurting me.

So, From that I learned that I should have worn my white belt, and I have a white belt with me if I travel and check out a school or get invited but not invited by owner or one of the instructors.

I was dressed and in the changing/locker room and the person who invited me hadn't shown up.
I started to get undressed when the school owner / instructor walked thru and said to join, and I explained

I said Stop.
He didn't Stop.

So I finger jabbed him in the throat, he posted up , I shrimped out while doing a wrist lock on his left wrist.
I said this is the choke , This is the strangulation, and this is what you are doing - trying to break my neck.

He was tapping on all three, and I said it is scary when the person is hurting you and they won't stop when you tap.

He was surprised and the two behind me started to get up and I said I am leaving and you are between me and the door.

He had me go work with a giant of a man. He was 6'9" and I could not straddle his chest with my legs even on tip toe.
I also explained that even from side he just has to lead forward and as they exhale lean more.
I explained this to him so he knew he could use it and also that he could do it accidentally and to avoid injuring a partner.

Everyone was surprised that a white belt was able to do and teach the stuff I did.

I do have some Small Circle JJ Training with my Modern Arnis and the of course the Dumog (Wrestling / JJ ).

So, my point is the person might have training from another BJJ or JJJ or College wrestling or other culture or ...
and with constant training in a couple of months taken their natural abilities, and their previous training and are able to apply it within

Good Luck with your training - I hope this helped you understand that there is no right answer to previous training and belts.
the-goon-story.gif

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I said Stop.
He didn't Stop.

Very interesting stories. Thanks for to sharing them.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
A belt doesn’t always reflect experience. A collegiate wrestler walking into a Bjj school probably has as much grappling experience as a brown or black belt. As a purple belt I’ve been tapped by plenty of white and blue belts. Sometimes they’re competitors, sometimes I screw up and they get the tap, sometimes they’re people who are simply better than me. It happens.

Rolling is not a competition or a dick measuring contest. It’s supposed to be an excercise where you practice and experiment in an effort to improve your skills. Hence why I dislike your coaches teasing you while you’re rolling. That kind of silliness simply breeds animosity and is highly immature. Just cause you get submitted by someone with a different color fabric around their waist doesn’t mean you suck or that your training time has been wasted.

Then again you’re in a MMA gym, so them acting that way kind of makes sense.
What's with MMA gyms?

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Belts only have meaning because we assign meaning to them. Kind of like paper money only has value because we assign value to it, really it's just paper. Focus on the art not where you or someone else lies within an arbitrary pecking order.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I cannot think of a sport or event where a team or competitor was "not supposed to loose to that team". It happens. It will happen again.
The only thing you can do is learn from it and go on. Right now you seem to be obsessed with it. That can be okay for a bit but only in the processing information stage. Then you have to move on.

I also wonder if some of this was a lesson in humility by your coach or conversely, a confidence push.

There are plenty of lessons to be learned from this.

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if this applies to non-striking arts but there is a common school of thought that beginners are harder to fight than experienced people. Why? Because they're untrained and unpredictable.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if this applies to non-striking arts but there is a common school of thought that beginners are harder to fight than experienced people. Why? Because they're untrained and unpredictable.
Generally in grappling that’s not the case
But rolling with beginners, particularly strong aggressive folk, can have a higher risk of accidents/injuries

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is some truth to this. I am always surprised to see how easy it is for even someone with experience to fall into predictable patterns. One of the things I have long taught were ways to encourage your opponent to become predictable, and then take advantage of it.
One easy example... Throw 2-3 belt-high front kicks in rapid succession. Teach your opponent that when your knee comes up, they should bring their hands down a bit to cover their belly. Then switch mid-strike to a high roundhouse. You've taught them to very kindly expose their head. This works better if your chamber for the front kick and the roundhouse are the same.

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
Generally in grappling that’s not the case
But rolling with beginners, particularly strong aggressive folk, can have a higher risk of accidents/injuries
I guess that kinda brings light to the "size matters" argument of fighting. :D There's this 6ft2 guy at my dojo and I'm a manlet, but even though he's relatively new and sparring-shy, he's like a Dark Souls boss to me.

Latest Discussions