BJJ is my Passion

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello Guys my name is Xeshawn BJJ is My Passion , i am here to connect with your guys who have the same interest of BJJ like me.

Should you use your

- kick to set up your punch,
- punch to set up your clinch,
- clinch to set up your throw,
- throw to set up your ground game?

Can someone be interested in BJJ without going through the kick/punch/throw training?

If you have gone through all those training, should MMA be your passion, and not just BJJ?

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Should you use your

- kick to set up your punch,
- punch to set up your clinch,
- clinch to set up your throw,
- throw to set up your ground game?

Can someone be interested in BJJ without going through the kick/punch/throw training?

If you have gone through all those training, should MMA be your passion, and not just BJJ?
Despite often being overlooked, BJJ does include striking, clinching, and takedowns - not just groundfighting. I teach all of those in my BJJ class.

I think those aspects are often neglected these days for two reasons:

1) Some BJJ classes are taught in MMA gyms where there are more specialized classes available for striking, wrestling, etc.
2) Some BJJ schools are focused on modern sport BJJ tournaments which don't include striking and have rules which make guard pulling just as advantageous as takedowns.

However you can find classes (like mine) which encompass the entire art.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since all the fights start from stand up, can someone be interested in BJJ without going through the stand up kick/punch/throw training?

Absolutely. Even without what Tony said, someone may just like groundwork. Or maybe they want to compete in sport BJJ. Not everyone has the same goal as you.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely. Even without what Tony said, someone may just like groundwork. Or maybe they want to compete in sport BJJ. Not everyone has the same goal as you.
Yep. I'm a big advocate for BJJ the martial art not getting lost due to the success of BJJ the sport, but there are plenty of people who are just interested in the sport and that's okay.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How far can someone's MA training go if his BJJ doesn't include kick/punch/throw?

Can someone defend himself in the street by BJJ only without any kick/punch/throw training?

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How far can someone's MA training go if his BJJ doesn't include kick/punch/throw?

Can someone defend himself in the street by BJJ only without any kick/punch/throw training?
Again, you're assuming that's someone's goal. They may not care about defending themselves. And if they are, cursory striking training can typically be enough for that purpose, if the specialty is ground grappling. I do agree though learning to throw helps a lot

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If a person wants to be a martial artist (in the sense of someone who is learning how to fight) and they are only studying BJJ and their BJJ class only covers ground grappling - then they are going to be severely limited. They will quite likely run into problems if they ever get into a real fight.

On the other hand, if they are only practicing BJJ for exercise, a competitive sport, and a fun social activity, then pure ground grappling is just fine. Just like Sumo or fencing or volleyball or rock climbing it can be what it is for its own sake.

I teach and practice BJJ as a complete martial art, but there are plenty of people who do it just for exercise or for fun or as a sport. That's what they are interested in and there's nothing wrong with that.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
there are plenty of people who do it just for exercise or for fun or as a sport. That's what they are interested in and there's nothing wrong with that.
Does BJJ as a sport include punching in the ground game (such as A mounts on top of B. A then punches on B)?

If BJJ include ground game punching, it won't be any safer than the boxing because you can't move around and dodge.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does BJJ as a sport include punching in the ground game (such as A mounts on top of B. A then punches on B)?

If BJJ include ground game punching, it won't be any safer than the boxing because you can't move around and dodge.

Safety wasn't mentioned there. It's the same as someone doing boxing not necessarily wanting to learn BJJ or judo because they find boxing enjoyable or want to become a boxer.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

BJJ does have punch kick and clinch and takedown training tho.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

There are different rulesets, but most tournament BJJ rules don't allow any sort of striking. (It should be noted, however, that the most common scoring system in BJJ competition is designed to reward achieving positions where you would have an advantage in striking an opponent on the ground.)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Xeshawn. That's a nice passion to have.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Xeshawn. That's a nice passion to have.
I assume if you can tap out 10 guys on the ground daily, you will smile in your dream for the next 3 nights.

Any MA training that you have to deal with resisting opponent is good training.

Old Happy Tiger

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello Guys my name is Xeshawn BJJ is My Passion , i am here to connect with your guys who have the same interest of BJJ like me.

Welcome to forum here. I don't practice BJJ but I know it's a very popular martial art.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Welcome to MT. We have many members here that can gladly connect with you. Please do enjoy the site. :)

Latest Discussions