BBT with injuries

Vhaen

White Belt
Reaction score
Tonight I'm going to my first Bujinkan class since I moved to western Australia so it's been a little over a year since I last trained.

In that time I've managed to somehow get tennis elbow. Been hitting the physio hard for nearly two months now and it's slowly starting to come right.

Does anyone have tips or suggestions on how best to take care of it while training? Has anyone trained with the same issue? Obviously I will be warning my training partners not to crank anything on that arm too hard. I just want the thing to come right without having to stop training altogether.

Thanks for your thoughts.

gregtca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I used to sometimes get one of those sweatsuit type compression tube things , it helped a lot to stabilize and hold the elbow / knee together , BUT WARMUP WELL AND WARN PARTNERS

OP
Vhaen

Vhaen

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Greg. Yeah I have one of those things. Using it has allowed me to heal. I didn't have much respect for them until I needed one. Now it's a different story.

As it turned out I didn't need it. Left for class so I could be there 20 mins early and got stuck in a traffic jam. Don't know if it was an accident or just roadworks but by the time I would have gotten there I would have been nearly 40 minutes late and I don't think that's how I want to join the class.

Wednesday night all going well.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let the instructor know about your injury and then each person you train with and you probably will be fine. I have trained with many injuries through the years and this has worked pretty well for me. The other option is to just wait till it fully heals and then go train!

Kurai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Exactly what Brian has said. I'm one of those people that sees value in training when injured, simply because the world doesn't stop because you're injured.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good training doesn't stop just because you're injured. Advise your partners and instructor, but learn to work around and with the injury. I do encourage you to use that compression band, or something similar when you train, especially as you recover. Not just for the support it may give -- but also to remind you that you're injured and reduce the odds of reinjury.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Soke says to train even when injured and sick. I cracked a rib a few class's ago, and its made things hard but its also a lesson. You may have to use the techniques while sick or injured. So for me, as painfull as Kaiten rolling is, I do it, with cracked ribs, because I may have to do it for real and while injured.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you actually have a boney injury, what you're describing is an excellent way to ensure that the bone heals badly, or not at all. Soke should refrain from offering medical advise, because on this case he's completely wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not sure what it is, feels like a cracked rib. Got taken down and botched the landing. I Landed on my elbow and felt a weird popping sensation. Its been 2 weeks and it still hurts lol. Based on the length of time it is hurting its not muscular. I cant just not do my rolling as that makes up a pretty good part of our warms ups as well as some of the regular practice. Id have to skip half of class.

Not that im disagreeing with you im just in a rock and a hard place with this lol.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Soke says to train even when injured and sick. I cracked a rib a few class's ago, and its made things hard but its also a lesson. You may have to use the techniques while sick or injured. So for me, as painfull as Kaiten rolling is, I do it, with cracked ribs, because I may have to do it for real and while injured.

There's an important line, though. Training with an injury is important -- but you don't want to train while injured in a way that's going to hurt you worse, or be dangerous for your training partners (like if you were to club them with a cast on your arm...) And if you're sick and contagious... there's a time not to share, y'know!

SamD

White Belt
Reaction score
I have had quite severe tennis elbow on both sides for nearly three years. The right was the worse with only a few fibres still connected. Strangely the only thing I noticed was a loss of power in my hands and that damn night time pain. Unfortunately, tendons have poor blood supply and heal slowly. I am sure the Dr would have explained that to you anyway. I tried everything from cold ice baths where you dunk your elbow into freezing water and then whilst it was all numb massaged the crap out of it. Limited effect. I tried rehab exercises too. Also with limited effect. An arm support brace is ok for some, I did not find it helped me. The problem was that we have to use our hands for everything and when you use your hands, you put tension on the tendons at the elbow and hence the problem recurs, because they don't really get a chance to rest. The only thing that I found that was effective for me was accupuncture, which work fantastically - but was temporary. But those few months with no night aches were bliss. I still train in Bujinkan at least twice a week and find the discomfort comes and goes. I don't believe that it has ever really fully healed. I just get on with life. The secret to real longevity in martial arts is to "train to your age". In other words, if your'e fifty don't think you are twenty and train like a twenty year old because, your body just won't we able to take it. Also let your training partner and instructor know that it is a problem and train around it. Good Luck.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure what it is, feels like a cracked rib. Got taken down and botched the landing. I Landed on my elbow and felt a weird popping sensation. Its been 2 weeks and it still hurts lol. Based on the length of time it is hurting its not muscular. I cant just not do my rolling as that makes up a pretty good part of our warms ups as well as some of the regular practice. Id have to skip half of class.

Not that im disagreeing with you im just in a rock and a hard place with this lol.

Dislocated in which case you need to get it looked at.
http://www.mens-health-tips.com/dislocated-rib.html

Or just sort of popped out an in which will go away eventually.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For the elbow ice and heat packs after training.

Keep getting it seen to.

Personally I like scenar as well but that is just me.

Otherwise low impact exercise like swimming on your off day wouldn't hurt.

Fritz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'd second that. Let the teacher know about your limitations and your training partner at the start of practice, and from there take it slow. I also like to remind myself when I'm hurt that the body is connected- the area that I am hurting might slow down other areas as well, so even if I am practicing something safe, it might not be- I might be slower, or out of balance naturally b/c of the injury.

Better to take it extra slow and be extra careful for a few weeks when hurt, over going at it a bit harder and toughing through it, and getting hurt and missing training for a few months.

Not that you are suggesting that.

Latest Discussions