bataireacht

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I recently came across this as an irish form of stick fighting (With many variants) but discovered it's nearly impossible to find any information on it. Does anyone know anything about it, or why it's so unpopular? (or if it's very popular and I just live in a bubble and fail at information gathering).

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are you referring to the art that Glen Doyle teaches? Like many things, I don't think "unpopular" is the right word, lesser known makes more sense. Not many people practice Western Arts, so they don't have the same broad appeal of the Asian or FMA styles.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that is the art i was referring to. And i understand not a lot of people practice western arts, but it doesn't seem to make sense to me why that wouldn't become well known while others such as savate or boxing or even fencing have become well known.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Boxing has a history going back hundreds of years,Savate had its heyday at the turn of the last century(maybe a bit before). Bataireacht is a family art that has only been shown to the public for the last maybe 10 years. Sifu Doyle also spends most of his time teaching and promoting Kung fu. You could ask the same question in the Western Arts section here at Martial talk, Kirk Lawson would be sure to see it there and give some insight.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could ask the same question in the Western Arts section here at Martial talk, Kirk Lawson would be sure to see it there and give some insight.
Thank's for the help, and that's probably a good idea. Tomorrow I'll go on and ask them, just to see if they have anything else to add.

Latest Discussions