Banning

M

Master of Blades

Just a pointless question cuz as usual I am bored.......What does one have to do to get oneself banned around this place? :confused:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends.

Be a troll or a spammer.

Tell the mods or admins to go -blank- themselves.

Constant disrespect of other arts or more specifically other members.

Treat us like we owe you something.

Excessive warnings in a short period of time.

Flagrent rules violations.

I prefer to ban as a last resort...we've suspended access on more occations than we've banned. In some cases, suspensions have become bans, usually due to spammers not returning after we cut their access. We try to give folks (especially the newbies) a couple of chances to 'learn the ropes' and 'fit in', before banning them outright.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
Depends.

Be a troll or a spammer.

Tell the mods or admins to go -blank- themselves.

Constant disrespect of other arts or more specifically other members.

Treat us like we owe you something.

Excessive warnings in a short period of time.

Flagrent rules violations.

I prefer to ban as a last resort...we've suspended access on more occations than we've banned. In some cases, suspensions have become bans, usually due to spammers not returning after we cut their access. We try to give folks (especially the newbies) a couple of chances to 'learn the ropes' and 'fit in', before banning them outright.

Uh, this sounds like:

1. The NFL
2. The NHL
3. The NBA

Now, to call someone a Troll is just downright nasty!;)

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How many shots does one get to bash Taekwondo or the Korean Arts before they're banished from MTalkLand? Sorry, but whether they're kidding or not I guess I just get overly sensitive when certain unnamed individuals from northern regions persist in slamming my art... :shrug:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by cali_tkdbruin
I just get overly sensitive when certain unnamed individuals from northern regions

I refer you to the legal doctrine of "clean hands".

OP
C

chufeng

Cali,

Although it is sometimes hard to do...when you find someone attacking you, or someone/something close to you...

(from Monty Python...)

"Always look on the bright side of life...(whistle)"

...but I have to admit losing patience from time to time...

hang in there and represent your art truly.........

:asian:
chufeng

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by chufeng
Cali,

Although it is sometimes hard to do...when you find someone attacking you, or someone/something close to you...

(from Monty Python...)

"Always look on the bright side of life...(whistle)"

...but I have to admit losing patience from time to time...

hang in there and represent your art truly.........

chufeng

Yeah, you're right chu, and for the most part I just blow off the negative comments as coming from ignorant, pretentious dolts.;)
No need to be getting my jockey shorts all up in a bunch huh?

There's always gonna be smartasses hanging around... :uhyeah:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Basically, if you have a problem with someone, let us know. We will look into it, and do what we feel we have to do to resolve the situation.

Sometimes we will do nothing. Sometimes we will warn, suspend and in a few cases ban.

One thing that would help greatly is if folks weren't ultra sensative and thin skinned. A random comment, made in jest with no malace is often the start of a great flame war, where king, country and diety, not to mention the keyboard warriors favorite, the internet asskicking, comes into play.

Lets be honest...there are folks on here I think are jerks....there are folks on here who think I'm a jerk. Oh well, thats life, and if we could have a sitdown chat n beverage, we'd probably find some common ground. Not likely to happen anytime soon. Oh well.

Some folks will post a certain way to 'get a rise'...others will find a cutting remark in a totally benign comment. Some folks don't communicate that well and things get misunderstood. Some folks are trolls, and we remove them when we can. Some folks cross the line at times, but we give them a little more slack because they do contribute good content otherwise. Sometimes, you need to take a step back and think before you post...what is he 'really' saying there?

Other ways to get suspended or banned....

- bug the crap outta us. If you've reported 1 post in a thread, you do not have to go thru it and report the other 6... we can and will read the whole thread in context.

- Whine to the mods when the argument goes against you. We aint here to babysit. Go dig up some facts to back your side of the argument and present them in a mature, professional manner. Or surrender.

- Flamers - If you can't debate a topic without resorting to flames, insults and threats, then we do not want you here.

- You've been warned, and you decide to either get into a pissing match with us, go public with the warning and thumb your nose at us, or otherwise give us a hard time.

- Violate a suspension. Immediate banned, no return. When you are suspended, you can still read the board, you just cant post. Wanna be banned? Go create a new account and give us grief from that.

You always have the option to not respond, to place someone on your 'ignore' list, and to let us handle the situation as we see fit. This place is for everyone to enjoy. You determine the content that is stored here, and if this place is a troll-haven or a good place to be.

Some folks say "All they do here is bash my art". Ok, so go bring a group of your folks on, and turn it into a positive place for them. Ignore the negative folks. Let us know where it is and we will investigate. We will be cracking down harder in 2003 on art bashing. We are willing to create a forum for pretty much any art, once theres an interest shown.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Art-bashing is problematic for a general-purpose martial arts board like this. There are going to be arts that people like better and ones they dislike. But we want to be a welcoming environment for all practitioners of legitimate arts.

To quote from Monty Python, "If I am going to argue with you I must take up a contrary position" and that is OK here. However, a contrary position is "TKD emphasizes kicking too much to be practical", "Aikido won't work without hand strikes", or "Tai Chi at slow speed won't translate to a full-speed fight"--statements that are in principle falsifiable. Simply saying "Wing Chun sucks, Ving Tsun rules" is not a statement of fact that may be true or false but rather an opinion. Opinions are fine, but a point comes wher if one ahs nothing good to say about an art that one should say nothing.

Yet, it seems only right to allow people to slam Yellow Bamboo or CMQ or other fraudulent arts. The Dillman system has been problematic for us in this regard; it seems clear to me--and here I speak only for myself, not the board--that the DKI system has a lot of good stuff to offer but also has the no-touch KOs/moving people with chi that's highly suspect.

There's a tension between a welcoming and enjoyable environment and a free-for-all environment. It's the same in everyone's personal life--you'd advance different arguments about the situation in Mid-East, or the Roman Catholic Church, or the White House, at the bar than at work, at the dinner table than at a job interview. We're a certain environment too and we want to be a place for Friendly Discussion about the martial arts. For non-friendly discussion, see rec.martial-arts.

Keep it friendly. That may mean not saying "art X really sucks" even though you think that it does. Keep it polite and professional--ideas, not ad hominem (or ad art, so to speak) attacks.

As fro banning, it's a weapon of last resort. We'd much rather not sue it. We've seen members we nearly banned become valued members (or in other cases, neutral value members). We don't want to ban anyone, so please be understanding when we try as hard as we can not to lose a client. Remember, at MartialTalk we lose a little on every member--but make it up in volume.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by cali_tkdbruin
Sorry, but whether they're kidding or not I guess I just get overly sensitive when certain unnamed individuals from northern regions persist in slamming my art... :shrug:

I hear you. Certain people from Northern Regions get a little sensitive when they constantly hear people from a certain art make fun of the country they're from and think that it's ok to do so and that they will get away with it because the forum is moderated by persons from that country.

Don't start none won't be none.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by GouRonin
I hear you. Certain people from Northern Regions get a little sensitive when they constantly hear people from a certain art make fun of the country they're from and think that it's ok to do so and that they will get away with it because the forum is moderated by persons from that country.

Don't start none won't be none.

Hey, all I wanted was a beer, some pool, and a brawl with some bikers. Not much to ask for!.Then get to sample some fine Canadian hospitality at the jail , and get bailed out in time for breakfast.:(

OP
G

GouRonin

The orange juice they give you in the morning at the jail is like sugar water with a crayon melted in it. Damn terrible.

OP
J

Jill666

Originally posted by GouRonin
The orange juice they give you in the morning at the jail is like sugar water with a crayon melted in it. Damn terrible.

You got juice?

Gyped again.:shrug:

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
Basically, if you have a problem with someone, let us know. We will look into it, and do what we feel we have to do to resolve the situation.

Hmmmmmm.......Wheres my list :rolleyes:

But seriously, the one thing I find very annoying is when people write stuff that could go into one post over a series of about 6. Its annoying and seems like there trying to just get there posts up :shrug:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe. It also could be any of the following:
=They are used to a board with smaller post restrictions
=They don't like reading long posts themselves so break things down.

For example, this post here is 437 characters in size...you are allowed 30,000 characters per post. When in doubt, use the [check message length] link located just under the editing window. It will tell you if you are within limits.

Latest Discussions