Mandatory Briefings

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just sitting at work kinda bored at the moment so I tought I would ask a question.

Our organisation has just finished our annual mandatory briefings on equity & diversity, OH&S, and Ethics & Fraud. Does anyone else have to go through these sorts of briefings?

I work for a large, very large, government department so they are important even if they are boring as all get out.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just sitting at work kinda bored at the moment so I tought I would ask a question.

Our organisation has just finished our annual mandatory briefings on equity & diversity, OH&S, and Ethics & Fraud. Does anyone else have to go through these sorts of briefings?

I work for a large, very large, government department so they are important even if they are boring as all get out.

We have meetings whenever there is a change in the laws, or to meet the criteria as set forth by the govening body for Police Offices for ongoing education...Yes, they are ALL boring...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not recently but when I worked for a different, and larger, state agency I had to go through something very similar "cultural diversity training" Sounds like the same thing with a slightly different name. The one I had to go to was an all day event though, anything but brief.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I am in the military, we have brought LARGE, BORING briefing to the level of artform. AT LEAST 8 different briefings that have to be re accomplished every year

OP
Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
All Day! That's brutal. Ours have been cut back to about half an hour each from an hour. Mainly because they happen every year.

I guess I can also be thankful I don't work for a police department by the looks of things.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It has since become voluntary, back when I was there all day it was mandatory. They use to bug me with this every year until I responded with my wife is Chinese and I just got back form spending 2 weeks with her family, how much more diverse and culturally sensitive do you want me to be. That was right after I returned form Beijing, they have not brought it up sense

OP
Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am in the military, we have brought LARGE, BORING briefing to the level of artform. AT LEAST 8 different briefings that have to be re accomplished every year

I can sympathize as I work for Defence. Its like people in the military, and Defence generally, take special master classes on how to make briefings as dull as possible. In one of the briefings I just completed I just sat staring at the powerpoint presentation because I simply was unable to focus on anything. It was just a 20 minute ad as to how OH&S procedures were being improved throughout Defence, and how we should not worry everything was in hand. It was dull and very strange.

At least 8 briefings? I'm very glad I only need to do three or four each year.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's see... there was the state mandated 8 hour class on bias-based policing. And there's the annual (AKA anytime someone screws up significantly) cultural diversity classes. (Hint... don't ask the presenter why I have to learn the idiosyncracies and languages of several other cultures when THEY ARE IN MY COUNTRY AND REFUSE TO LEARN MY LANGUAGE! It doesn't go over very well...)

And, in VA, now, we're required to get 2 hours of cultural education hours every two years to maintain our LE certification, in addition to the rest of the in-service requirements.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have mandatory online training for ethics, fraud, product liability, etc. Every couple months I get an email link to a new online training program. We were also required to sign off that we received and read the Ethics Guidlines and that we should contact the Ethics Hotline if we suspect unethical activity.

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
On a side note to what MBuzzy said, b/c I am military also, not only do we have those "mandatory" (pointless) briefings every year, which are the exact same from 20yrs ago, we also have about 10-15hrs of CBT's (computer based training) that we must accomplish EVERY year. Actually, now that I think about it, it comes out close to 20hrs since 3 of the CBT's are 4hrs long each!!!!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can sympathize as I work for Defence. Its like people in the military, and Defence generally, take special master classes on how to make briefings as dull as possible. In one of the briefings I just completed I just sat staring at the powerpoint presentation because I simply was unable to focus on anything. It was just a 20 minute ad as to how OH&S procedures were being improved throughout Defence, and how we should not worry everything was in hand. It was dull and very strange.

At least 8 briefings? I'm very glad I only need to do three or four each year.

I know exactyly what you mean! I suspect yours and mine Defence might be the same you know just different accents lol!

Topeng

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It used to be called General Military Training (GMT) but we always said it stood for General Misuse of Time.
Even as a civilian we still endure "Death by Powerpoint" on a regular basis.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oh Joy... oh rapture :rolleyes:

Just got an e-mail and they made cultural diversity training mandatory again.... I need to respond and sign up for a session.

So far my response has been to delete the e-mail... damn civil servants... were all the same :D