Banning guns shown to be silly idea...again...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole argument that banning guns will keep criminals from getting guns is shown to be silly...again, as another law enforcement organization loses track of 1400 guns...

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/06/...-police-have-lost-track-of-thousands-of-guns/

The damning report found that the Park Police, tasked with upholding law and order around many of our country’s parks and monuments, are missing information on more than 1,400 firearms from their official inventory:
An anonymous complaint led the Office of Inspector General (OIG) to investigate the management and supervision of the U.S. Park Police (USPP) firearms program. Simultaneous, unannounced inspections of unassigned weapons at USPP facilities revealed that USPP could not account for Government-issued military-style rifles. It also showed that its weapons inventory was incomplete. Incomplete weapons inventories undermine USPP accountability for all of its weapons, and allow for the possibility that weapons that cannot be located and may not be in safe keeping.

What did they say again...

USPP could not account for Government-issued military-style rifles.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Woah, woah. Hold the phone. Youre trying to tell us that CRIMINALS dont abide by the LAW?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I though they figured most of these were just taken home by the LEOs themselves and "forgotten" there?

Woah, woah. Hold the phone. Youre trying to tell us that CRIMINALS dont abide by the LAW?

This is why I favor the creation of a lawless society. I mean--why bother?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
seems to me that "banning" guns (or, as most people advocate, reasonable gun control and limits) is a completely different issue from the government losing track of its own inventory of weaponry. I really don't see these issues as connected at all. This is just a really really weird line of reasoning. But that's to be expected.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really. Advocates of gun bans are of the belief that making a law banning guns will automatically keep criminals from having guns. This article shows that even the government, law enforcement specifically given the job of controlling any banned weapons, can't keep control of guns in their custody. If you ban guns, law enforcement will be just one source for illegal guns getting into the hands of criminals, and this article shows that this is not only possible but actually happens.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really. Advocates of gun bans are of the belief that making a law banning guns will automatically keep criminals from having guns. This article shows that even the government, law enforcement specifically given the job of controlling any banned weapons, can't keep control of guns in their custody. If you ban guns, law enforcement will be just one source for illegal guns getting into the hands of criminals, and this article shows that this is not only possible but actually happens.

that's a real stretch there, making that connection. It's clear to me that you waste a lot of time scouring the media for anything that you can even remotely try and connect to the gun controls debate. This one is pretty funny. In that regard, it's right in line with what I've come to expect from you.

You might consider taking up a hobby. Like martial arts, perhaps. It would be a better way for you to spend your time.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
actually, law enforcement will be one source of illegal guns if guns are ever banned. he above posts demonstrate this.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For the record...I have not made any remarks about the posters on this thread

You might consider taking up a hobby. Like martial arts, perhaps. It would be a better way for you to spend your time.

You should check out the yellowpages. I suspect you can find a nearby martial arts school with a Lil Tigers program you might find satisfying.

Again, the first personal attacks were made against me without provacation...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For the record...I have not made any remarks about the posters on this thread

Again, the first personal attacks were made against me without provacation...

I am treating your posts with the level of respect that they deserve. You have posted more nonsense here than everyone else combined, for as long as you've been here. Your posts deserve nothing more than ridicule. So that is what I am giving you.

Feel free to post what you want. I'll feel free to laugh at you.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have posted more nonsense here than everyone else combined, for as long as you've been here. Your posts deserve nothing more than ridicule. So that is what I am giving you.

Again, I haven't posted anything about the other people posting here, kept to my posts, and here is another attack...the third in as many posts by flying crane...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again, I haven't posted anything about the other people posting here, kept to my posts, and here is another attack...the third in as many posts by flying crane...

Your posts make for good commedic relief. That's how I see it.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Again, the first personal attacks were made against me without provocation...

That doesn't really take in the scope of the wider scheme of things tho' Bill - you have been executing a one-note symphony for years now and that does tend to annoy people I am afraid to say.

I have no doubt that you don't do it on purpose, you're just passionate about a single political topic, but it still does get on peoples nerves. Even me :D. I let it wash over me now but it used to get to me something rotten until I was able to remind myself it was just the Internet.

That last is a lesson we all need to take to heart every now and again.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sukerkin, there are posters here who I not only disagree with but think are...well, silly and others who are offensive. I have to say that I don't go after them personally unless attacked first, and I do that less, now, because of the moderators.
In my time here on martial talk, the same posters are the aggressors, and attack me personally, time and again...simply because they disagree with me. I would encourage you to save your attention for them, since their control over their ability to be civil is so easily lost when they disagree with someone.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Was I rude to flying crane? did I address him initially in my post, did I act uncivilly to him in this thread, even given his history of personally attacking me without provocation...? To be fair, in your judgement, did I in any way attack flying crane personally before he began insulting me? Did I return the attack?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you may have missed my point, Bill. Well both of my points actually.

In case you think I'm being rude to you, that is not my intention. I'm simply trying to show that sometimes what we think is the case and what is actually the case differ. After all, it (the political soapboxing here at MT) IS just a bunch of people (usually just you these days, Bill, to be fair (with the occasional double-team from BD)) being opinionated about a morass of self-serving trough-divers. People only react because it is annoying to have someone bang on about the same thing all the time; I swear people argue with you 'just because' rather than because they give any serious consideration to what you post.

I shall not be commenting here again; I've said all I needed to say. It's up to people to listen or not as they see fit. I, for one, have far more important things to worry about given that my mother is in the hospital after a heart attack and has just been fitted with an emergency pacemaker to keep her going.

Oh and apposite to the OP, I quite agree :nods::

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Was I rude to flying crane? did I address him initially in my post, did I act uncivilly to him in this thread, even given his history of personally attacking me without provocation...? To be fair, in your judgement, did I in any way attack flying crane personally before he began insulting me? Did I return the attack?

Bill, since you've arrived here you've been almost completely single-tracked in your attempts to drive discussion along your personal policital agendas. You have a right to your opinions, and you have a right to want to discuss them. But you've pushed it with such single-minded obstinancy that you're a bit like the little boy who cried wolf: at some point it just becomes difficult to take you seriously anymore. I mean really, you post some pretty crackpot stuff here. You've become a caricature of yourself. For the most part over the years, I've ignored your political discussions, or contributed minimally. I finally decided that, well, if you want to be a caricature, then I may as well act toward your posts as if you are one.

So, sure, feel free to post what you want. But don't be surprised or act hurt when you get some ridicule for it.