Banned MA VW commercial

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FpsuPEab3o&feature=player_embedded

The British Advertising Standards Authority received more than 1,000 complaints about the staged violence, with UK residents reportedly fearing that it children may view the sequence and try to copy it.

Statistically, the ad is now the fifth most complained about UK commercial ever. That honor helped it earn a pre-9pm TV ban in the local markets. Volkswagen, obviously a bit frustrated by the ruling, points out that the action seen in the commercial was not "dissimilar to the levels of action seen in many family TV programs." The automaker went on to say the fighting in the ads was "metaphorical rather than real" and that the "exaggerated, cartoon-like sound effects and actions were designed to dispel the gravity of the fighting." Um, that's exactly what we were thinking.

Gee, I knew you brits were all a little girlie... :p

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL, I think it's more that its seen as this German nutter beating himself up and we regard all Germans as being extremely sus at the best of times.
VW and Audi keep putting these ads on which so bloody superior that we just don't like them full stop!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I loved that advert! I wondered why it went off the air so quickly.

As to "UK residents reportedly fearing that it children may view the sequence and try to copy it" ... words fail me.

Did these people never watch Captain Scarlet or read Lion or Eagle (http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/ComicInformationPages/LionPages/SteveLaming1.htm) as children :eeK:!?

Some people just want something to complain about to feel morally superior. Maybe instead they should discipline their kids better and instill them with some common sense?

EDIT: Just noted that the quoted bit has corrupt grammar :lol:.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As to "UK residents reportedly fearing that it children may view the sequence and try to copy it" ... words fail me.

Did these people never watch Captain Scarlet or read Lion or Eagle (http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/ComicInformationPages/LionPages/SteveLaming1.htm) as children :eeK:!?

Some people just want something to complain about to feel morally superior. Maybe instead they should discipline their kids better and instill them with some common sense?

EDIT: Just noted that the quoted bit has corrupt grammar :lol:.

Captain Black was my hero though I did want to be Destiny Angel lol!

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.supermarionationforever.co.uk/spectrum_database/destinyangel.htm

Ain't the internet a wonderful thing sometimes :D?

For the record, I always thought Rhapsody was nicest - seems I've always had a thing for red-heads even before I knew what girls were all about :eek:.

Oh and I always thought Capt. Blue was the true hero - after all, he could die!

EDIT: How many times can I use the word "always" in one short post :blush:. Also, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Captain-Scarlet-Complete-Box-Set/dp/B00005IBK9 rather expensive I think for a forty year old childrens TV series.

AoCAdam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I still fail to see how this is offensive in any way.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Bloody hell... a typical issue of a Beano annual has way more violence than that!!

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great commercial. A bit long at 1:40. Is it common for commercials to run that long in GB?

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That commercial really wasn't violent. I'm not from the UK, but I'm sure there has to be more to the banning than just the fact that there was some simulated fighting in it. At least, I hope so...

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I loved the Muffler V Break Pads used as Dear Horns part. that was histarical.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hmmm,
Wasn’t it VW that had the add with the suicide car bomber in it? That add was also pulled very quickly (voluntarily from the U.S.) I thought both the add in this thread and the bomber one funny which is probably reason enough to pull them.
Regards
Brian King

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great commercial. A bit long at 1:40. Is it common for commercials to run that long in GB?

Ads here are like mini films, a lot of them are very good. Ridley Scott started in British ads.
This is my favourite at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D Aye, that one wriggled nicely along my sense of humour :lol:.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:D Aye, that one wriggled nicely along my sense of humour :lol:.

Makes me laugh! starts off all mushy and French and then ends up as funny as hell if you share my sense of humour lol!

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
This has always been one of my favourites

Last edited by a moderator:

dnovice

Blue Belt
Reaction score
this commercial is plain awesome and had one of the better fight scenes I've seen in a movie this year. Can they make it into a movie?????

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's been more and more concern over 'casual' violence on television recently and how it affects children. I think it's those concerns that may have been the cause of peoples compliants over the ad which was shown at times when children would be watching.
they may have a point.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/7987950.stm

Latest Discussions