Bagua again

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So far, still basics and a drill or two and it is actually pretty awesome. More basics than I got 18 years ago and that is a good thing and a drill I had not done before too….. I’m happy

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is a drill I like to do. I like to use an old pair of shoes
And pretend that is an opponents feet. I might put one forward
To act as someone stepping in throwing a punch.
I practice kou bu and bai bu stepping like this.
It helps your angles and change of directions working on
Trips and setting up throws and getting behind a person.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
In my basement today practicing Mud stepping in a straight line and in a circle, then I did some work on a heavy bag trying to figure out blocking and some attack and you know what I discovered........

Baguazhang is pretty damn cool

I also came to an understanding, at least for me, that taiji and xingyi are at opposite ends of the spectrum and bagua is in the middle… that is if you stay within neijia

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stepping with the feet slightly off the ground and sliding the foot forward then attaching it to the ground and then shifting the weight forward on to it and then doing the same thing with the other leg. Pistoning the legs forward and back like you were stepping through mud.

OzPaul

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the video. Can you explain the things he is doing please? I am interested and have no idea about internal arts

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi OzPaul
I think what the video is the Cheng 8 Stake/Fixed form. 2 other Baguazhang styles I have seen use it as that.
Here is an example of the Cheng Mother palm set:
It is interesting to see the first palm change compared to other styles.

I will see if I can find some other stake/fixed sets, I don't know if anyone put any online.

As to what the stake set is for. I was told it was for training, But I do not see why it could not be used for application.

Last edited by a moderator:

ilhe4e12345

Green Belt
Reaction score
i miss my training in Bagua. I havent been able to train since my minor surgery on my knee and getting over a back injury. Im just starting to get back into being able to do forms (spent almost an hour and a half doing nothing but Bung Bo, Shaolin 8 Step and Long Fist 1) as well as some of the Xingyi elements and a little wing chun) but my back is still a little sore. I really cant wait till im back to 100% so i can start training again. I havent seen Sifu Rick (my bagua teacher) in so long :(

I love Bagua...its so relaxing and such a great style. Im really glad I found Sifu Rick, hopefully soon I can get back to training

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well that was cool

Still liking Baguazhang, still happy I went but it looks like there is only one more class

I was used for apps demonstration and it was mighty cool.... but there is one thing I can't figure out... was rest of the class was really not getting it or was it they just enjoyed seeing me get beat on :D

Last edited:

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
cheng style bagua - mud walking step and 8 palms

This is basically mud stepping, and the way most people do it, but doing the way he does will ruin your knees. I know of a couple older masters who have serious knee problem because of this and other issues. It also goes against the basics of how most teacher's teach the way mud stepping should be done, but they step this way anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is basically mud stepping, and the way most people do it, but doing the way he does will ruin your knees. I know of a couple older masters who have serious knee problem because of this and other issues. It also goes against the basics of how most teacher's teach the way mud stepping should be done, but they step this way anyway.

I do not doubt what you are saying but that is Liu Jing Ru and he has been doing Baguazhang and Xingyiquan since 1957 and from what I have seen of him his knees appear fine

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And they very well might be, but a lot of people's aren't. Ever heard people say "I can't do Taiji, it hurts my knees?"

Latest Discussions